True Detective

Fingz_sl

shitlord
Whoever posted that Lost stuff was close to the mark. Rust did find something at the end, heaven at least. I always thought he was religious, seeking reasons for his daughter's death. The way he could rattle off biblical phrases. Though I'm sure flashbacks had something to do with it. Lost was about them being in purgatory and, some of them, moving onto heaven.

Lot's of religion lately, even though it seems a lot of people are turning to atheism. Walt on Breaking Bad asking God for help and the car keys falling into his lap, etc.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
10/10

Refreshing to have a show be straight forward for once. No obligatory deaths, no "gotcha" twists, and no 12th hour introduction of crucial characters.

Cary Fukunaga just punched his ticket to do any project he wants. The guy hit a grand fucking slam pretty much the first time he stepped to the plate.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Khane

Got something right about marriage
So a lot of the music for this show was original and I'm guessing the song playing through the credits of the finale is no different. I did my usual "pick some lyrics and google them" to find out what song it was but came up empty. Anyone know? Is it an original for the show or did my GoogleFu fail me?

xKALECx

Golden Knight of the Realm
1) Rust's sniper was really quick with those shots from that bolt action of his.
2) The whole "light winning" spot was kinda the tits.
3) What sort to structure did the final show down take place in? Seemed like a Civil War fort?
Pre Civil War fort. There are several of those scattered across the Louisiana coast. Most are hardly standing. When I was a kid we used to play in the one in Grand Isle, LA. It's 99% covered in sand now since Katrina.

supertouch_sl

shitlord
10/10

Refreshing to have a show be straight forward for once. No obligatory deaths, no "gotcha" twists, and no 12th hour introduction of crucial characters.

Cary Fukunaga just punched his ticket to do any project he wants. The guy hit a grand fucking slam pretty much the first time he stepped to the plate.
A twist would have been more interesting than the anticlimactic crap we got for the last 3 or 4 episodes. Why even reveal the killer? Nothing has been resolved.

Harrelson and McConaughey had great chemistry and the first half of the season was amazing, but the show lost steam after they abruptly jumped ahead to 2002. And it definitely could have done without all the nebulous imagery and symbolism.

CrazyRussell

Golden Squire
A twist would have been more interesting than the anticlimactic crap we got for the last 3 or 4 episodes. Why even reveal the killer? Nothing has been resolved.

Harrelson and McConaughey had great chemistry and the first half of the season was amazing, but the show lost steam after they abruptly jumped ahead to 2002. And it definitely could have done without all the nebulous imagery and symbolism.
rrr_img_62357.jpg

Khane

Got something right about marriage

Because it was a different approach than most of what we get on TV these days. They were telling a story instead of just trying to fuck with our minds and make us say "I never saw that coming".

I do agree that the shit with Hart's daughter was needless and stupid in the end though. I guess they just want to leave that one to our imaginations.

Tea_sl

shitlord
Fuck me, that was fucking great.

So, so much shit got tied together. Everything in the show was about that ending. Those were some heavy fucking character arcs for 8 hours. Redemption and catharsis is what everyone striving for is what Rust said. Hart becomes the smart, good man of his youth. Rust finds meaning again. Time is a flat circle.

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord

haha look at old faggoty faggot being a faggoty faggot.

Homsar

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Really loved the finale and glad Rust and Marty got closure, would have hated if there was some stupid Lost shit instead of just a great detective show. Cant believe people are still posting dumb ass theories about how Rust is really dead ect.

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
I think a lot of the little elements that people got hung up on was just there for atmosphere and story telling. But people are so used to shows trying to be clever and trick them that they notice the most minute details and think it's some foreshadowing or hint.

I like the way it ended. I think how they got there could have been a little better, considering a lot of the detective work didn't seem to amount to much until Hart just suddenly had a hunch about the house being painted. But the story is really about the journey of the characters facing their demons. The case was just their means of doing so.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I do agree that the shit with Hart's daughter was needless and stupid in the end though. I guess they just want to leave that one to our imaginations.
I don't think it was needless at all. What I got out of it in the end was a detective trying to come to grips with a girl turning into a teenager. Reading into things that weren't there probably because of working on that case and the things he is exposed to. When she visited him in the hospital she was all cleaned up and looked like she turned out alright. Detectives curse, he was looking for all these clues and meanings to why she was like that and the answer was just under his nose.

Fedor

<Banned>
True Detective creator Nic Pizzolatto looks back on season 1

Early in the episode, we see Errol come into the big house, "North by Northwest" is playing and he starts doing a James Mason voice. Then he slips into a number of other accents. What was behind that?

Nic Pizzolatto:That was part of his creation as a character. There was this idea that when he talks in his real voice, it's very slurred because of the scarring. My background for him was that he learned how to enunciate properly through watching all these old VCR movies. And that brings us back to the idea of storytelling, right? At one minute he can affect this Andy Griffith good ol' boy voice, the next he can sound like James Mason, and when he wants to use his real voice, he sounds like something wounded and damaged. And then when Cohle is in Carcosa, he sounds like something entirely different.

Can you tell me anything at all about season 2?

Nic Pizzolatto:Okay. This is really early, but I'll tell you (it's about) hard women, bad men and the secret occult history of the United States transportation system.

Tea_sl

shitlord
Nic Pizzolatto: Okay. This is really early, but I'll tell you (it's about) hard women, bad men and the secret occult history of the United States transportation system.
Hahaha. That sounds fucking amazing.

Edit: well it'd sound kinda dumb and Dan Brownish if we hadn't just watched that season, but fantastic given the delicate handling of the king in yellow.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
when they said that was a pre civil war fort, i started to think it was built around war of 1812. my history is rubbish but im pretty sure there was a key battle for louisiana against the British.

Jarnin_sl

shitlord
when they said that was a pre civil war fort, i started to think it was built around war of 1812. my history is rubbish but im pretty sure there was a key battle for louisiana against the British.
Yep. It was called the battle of New Orleans and was the last major battle in that war. When I first saw that fort I was thinking Spanish. I've been to a couple of Spanish forts, and it looked similar in design. Then again, it could have been refurbish for the war of 1812.