True Detective

Jais

Trakanon Raider
Ahh cool, thanks all. Only other building I'd seen that looked roughly like that was Fort Sumter.

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
I think it being a French fort makes sense with the creole influence of the area and the cult.

Why was the killer speaking like a British chap in his house? Weird as fuck.

That sheriff was a real piece of shit. After seeing that video he should have jumped on board for the big win.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
A twist would have been more interesting than the anticlimactic crap we got for the last 3 or 4 episodes. Why even reveal the killer? Nothing has been resolved.

Harrelson and McConaughey had great chemistry and the first half of the season was amazing, but the show lost steam after they abruptly jumped ahead to 2002. And it definitely could have done without all the nebulous imagery and symbolism.
This is confirmation of how good this show was.

xKALECx

Golden Knight of the Realm
There forts are scattered throughout the coast of south Louisiana in various conditions. Fort Pike is the only one I know that is mostly preserved and now a state parkhttp://www.crt.state.la.us/parks/ifortpike.aspx

Like I was saying earlier, there used to be one across the far end of the island on Grand Isle, that was known as Fort Livingston but it is now completely covered in sand following Katrina. In the late 80's and early 90's you could still go through some of the rooms and halls, although most of it was destroyed.

leaf

Decline Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Great stuff.
Loved the grown-over fort as Carcosa. Always chilling seeing concrete structures reclaimed by nature and reused for evil! Reminded me of watching IT and how ominous sewer pumping stations could be, hehe.

Will definitely be in for season 2.
rrr_img_62365.jpg

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
It was a civil war fort. That 5 min video posted earlier answered a ton of questions.
When I was watching the show, I thought it looked like an old Spanish slave market, which made it seem like an even darker, epicenter of misery.

Royal

He was imitating James Mason who was on his television at the time in North by Northwest.
Alternatively, if you're gonna finger your fat, dim-witted, face-like-a-foot half-sister then you might as spice things up a little with a British accent.

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
I thought it was a very good episode, probably only giving it a 9 because the hospital scene at the end seemed a little misplaced from everything else. The sequence through the fort was intense and for some reason I just kept expected a 2nd person to appear. Then I had this thought in my head that the woman was helping him in some way and she was behind it all. I guess I'm like others, this was the kind of show where you kept expecting some sort of twist and then at the end when you realize there wasn't a twist, you're trying to figure out why there wasn't one. The show was always about Marty and Rust, everything else was secondary even finding who the killer was.

Royal

Nic Pizzolatto: Okay. This is really early, but I'll tell you (it's about) hard women, bad men and the secret occult history of the United States transportation system.
So it'll be set in DC and be about how the Freemasons fucked and murdered their way to arranging the city streets into a pentagram?

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
I thought it was great and appreciated how the ending was straight forward and twist-free, but in the back of my head throughout the final episode I had a hard time accepting that lawnmower man and his retarded half sister were the epicenter of a conspiracy of child-rapists that reached all the way to the most powerful political family in Louisiana and spanned 20+ years. That part of the finale seemed glossed over and swept under the rug to me and kept it from being a perfect 10/10.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Well the black woman they questioned in episode 7 mentioned she saw the lawnmower man as a boy with scars on his face recalling he was the grandson of Grandpa Titties.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
They made it pretty clear throughout the season that that particular dude is not the epicenter of the cult by showing all the connections with the Tuttles. In the finale Rust expresses his disappointment that they only got that one guy and not everyone involved. If anything, I appreciate that it was somewhat realistic in that sense. They got the dude who was currently killing people, but it's a much bigger web that was still unsolved. Maybe it's something they could come back to at some point.

Oatlord_sl

shitlord
I bet google searches for "Marty's father-in-law is involved" cratered about five minutes into that episode. Would be funny to see the real-time stats.

10/10. Show was a real event. Amazing piece of fiction put to screen, and damn if Mcconaughey didn't just win himself another award there at the end.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Yes. Rust showed a bunch of old time photos from the Titties suggesting their cult and killing had been going on for generations.

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
Ya I almost thought it was done in front of a green screen until the shot of his face when he was kneeling down beside Rust. Weirdly lit I guess.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
If anything, I appreciate that it was somewhat realistic in that sense.
Would you say it was somewhatTrue?! *zingfart*

So, how did the opening scene of the series tie into anything in season 1?
Marty's first speech to Rust pretty much set the tone for the entire season, telling him that once you start applying your own shit you start writing your own narrative. So it was pretty meta, but to me that was how they explained what was really going on while toying with us.