Turn based tactical squad games

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
Anyone recommend any new or old turn based tactical squad games. I've always liked games such as the original X-com, Jagged Alliance and such, but I've played them to death. Recently I have played Xenonauts, a very good remake of X-com, the new X-com as well as both Shadowrun games. All have good and solid turn based tactical squad elements.

But what other games are there out there that I might have overlooked? I'm especially interested in WWII or sci-fi games. I've tried both Dawn of War II and (I think it's Company of Heros, can't quite remember) but they are real time and I'm not a fan of that.

Any ideas?

leaf

Lurker Prime
<Silver Donator>
Silent Storm and the sequel Sentinels. WW2 era with SciFi elements.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Anyone recommend any new or old turn based tactical squad games. I've always liked games such as the original X-com, Jagged Alliance and such, but I've played them to death. Recently I have played Xenonauts, a very good remake of X-com, the new X-com as well as both Shadowrun games. All have good and solid turn based tactical squad elements.

But what other games are there out there that I might have overlooked? I'm especially interested in WWII or sci-fi games.

Any ideas?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combat_Mission_(series))

Thread over.

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
Shining force 1 & 2 kinda similar and are classics. I think they're on steam for like a dollar.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>

But what other games are there out there that I might have overlooked? I'm especially interested in WWII or sci-fi games. I've tried both Dawn of War II and (I think it's Company of Heros, can't quite remember) but they are real time and I'm not a fan of that.

Any ideas?
Wasteland 2- It's more on the RPG side of things, but if you loved Fallout 1/2, you'll love this. It's probably one of the 10 best RPGs to come out in the last decade.

Jagged Alliance: Back in Action and Jagged Alliance: Flashback- They both have pretty mixed reviews. They are nowhere near as good as JA 1/2, but if you can pick them up on a Steam sale for cheap, they're worth it.

Expeditions: Conquistador- Great game that came out of Denmark. I picked it up on the Steam Winter Sale and it was a total steal. It's an exploration, somewhat open world, turn-based combat game. You play as a Spanish "capitan" of a ship requisitioned by the governor of Santo Domingo while trying to explore the mainland of the New World. If you enjoy games like Heroes of Might and Magic and the Princess Bounty series, this game will feel right at home to you. It also has a touch of Oregon Trail mixed in.

Vitality

HUSTLE
Shining force 1 & 2 kinda similar and are classics. I think they're on steam for like a dollar.
I mean if we're talking turn based tactical RPG's then SF 1 & 2 are unbeatable. Ogre Battle fits in there along with Dark Wizard for the Sega CD. These aren't really classified as squad stuff, as you build a much larger army than just 4 people but they have pretty close mechanics.

It's a fine line, I mean technically a good portion of the Final Fantasy and Phantasy Star series along with Star Ocean and all that could be classified as turn based too. Especially the later FF's and some of the Newer Star Ocean games which let you run around the play field tactically.

My list of "If you haven't you should" for this topic:

#1 Wasteland 2
#2 SF 1 & 2
#3 Star Ocean: The Last Hope (if this fits the genre in question)

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
Lots of good ideas here, thanks. I have played a bit of Wasteland 2, but couldn't quite get into it. Not sure why, I liked the Fallout games. Divinity has been on my "buy" list since it came out, I might just try that. As for Combat Mission series, I'm amazed I've never heard of it before. Going to have to look that one up! The Japanese games I will have to look into better, never played one, but am open to them. Will check out the Shining Force series. But the game here that I think most interests me at the moment is Expeditions: Conquistador. Thanks for the info guys!

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
Oh how could I forget to mention Front Mission. That shit is amazing.

sf54eb925c7a09132aa52dfb1963ebabc.jpg