Tusk

Xevy

Log Wizard
Just saw this tonight. Awesome movie. Depp was fucking great. Great movie to see if you enjoyed Cabin in the Woods.

• 1WTF
Reactions: 1 user

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
Movie was dumb as fuck, depp's overacting makes his performance in Alice in wonderland seem a character study in restraint.

• 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
i only heard of this film's existence through red letter media. uh didnt smith retire from directing when his last few films bombed and critics raped his ass at every turn?

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
He was going to retire from directing after Redstate, but then had a change of heart. He made a TV series (hasn't aired yet) that was going to be a Movie called Hit Somebody. It was going to star Seann William Scott, but then he signed with a different movie using the same premise, called "Goon". Since then made Tusk, which was based entirely on a discussion from his Smodcast podcast thing. It's going to be a Canadian horror podcast trilogy. The next one is called Yoga Hosers, then they're going to finish up with Moose Jaws.

He's also working on Clerks 3 now. At least he has the script for that one done.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
i only heard of this film's existence through red letter media. uh didnt smith retire from directing when his last few films bombed and critics raped his ass at every turn?
Red state was a mess because of what happened at Sundance, but he never retired. This movie is failing hard as well, I'm sure he will tell us why on his smodcast.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Well, it's not really "failing". It's already making a profit, just not a huge one. There was an exceptionally low budget on this one. Like 2-3 million tops. Even Redstate had more than that.

I really liked Redstate.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Red state was a mess because of what happened at Sundance, but he never retired. This movie is failing hard as well, I'm sure he will tell us why on his smodcast.
well its confusing when there are headlines like this,
Kevin Smith announces retirement from directing, intention to distribute films himself The A.V. Club

to be honest, when he did announce his retirement i agreed, that bruce willis movie and then when red state came out it kinda hit home that when jay and silent bob arent in his films they really suck and that jay and silent bob may be getting old too. so retirement might be the for the best. i think his best work is with him live on stage telling an audience stories about the interesting people he met or the mishaps he gets into.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
He confirmed on his podcast babbleon, everyone is good, infact Tusk made enough already that it funded Clerks 3.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
well its confusing when there are headlines like this,
Kevin Smith announces retirement from directing, intention to distribute films himself The A.V. Club

to be honest, when he did announce his retirement i agreed, that bruce willis movie and then when red state came out it kinda hit home that when jay and silent bob arent in his films they really suck and that jay and silent bob may be getting old too. so retirement might be the for the best. i think his best work is with him live on stage telling an audience stories about the interesting people he met or the mishaps he gets into.

He explains it well in this clip. He talks to his wife about the concept. She said she thought he was done making movies, he said he thought so too, but he wants to see this movie, and he didn't think anyone else would make it.

I find I enjoy many of the Kevin Smith talk videos as much as his movies. His Prince and Wild West / superman stories were great. Good storyteller.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
At this point he's found a formula where he can make whatever movie he wants without major studio support. It's kinda neat.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Watched it last night.

It's cute. A blend of funny and wtf. 6.5/10, not his worst movie.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I enjoyed it, but there were definitely some fucked up moments. What bothered me the most is the very very end (after the big finale).

So they kill the bad guy and just leave Josh as a fucking walrus? Why didn't they try to give him surgery or something and return him back to his normal(ish) human self? It couldn't be that difficult. Especially if some guy could quickly hack together turning him into a walrus in the first place.

That really left me with a strange feeling.

Xevy

Log Wizard
I enjoyed it, but there were definitely some fucked up moments. What bothered me the most is the very very end (after the big finale).

So they kill the bad guy and just leave Josh as a fucking walrus? Why didn't they try to give him surgery or something and return him back to his normal(ish) human self? It couldn't be that difficult. Especially if some guy could quickly hack together turning him into a walrus in the first place.

That really left me with a strange feeling.
When Howard Howe is walrus fighting him (by the way, epic fucking scene. I was crying in the theater, especially with the 'say that you love me' song playing) he says you can die as a man or you can kill me, but you'll always be a walrus. It's poetic as fuck. He is forever Wallace the Walrus.

What I didn't notice til the second viewing was that his walrus suit isn't made of walrus skin. It's made of human skin. And there are ears/faces/mouths all over it. Pretty fucked up.

Johnny Depp was great. I laughed really hard at his line about the Big Lebowski.

Overall, seen it twice, still great. We watched this with my friend who hadn't seen it and then The Interview. He said they were both good but Tusk, though not as consistently funny, was better because of the weirdness and the huge laughs. It's this year's Cabin in The Woods, if you ask me.

Edit: realized I said the Cabin in the Woods thing when I made the thread. STILL FUCKING STAND BY IT. Also I just looked it up and the song during the fight is Tusk by Fleetwood Mac. Kind of wish it was just the song they picked because of how it sounded for that moment.

• 1Direct to DVD

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
Holy shit - was Johnny depp the detective??????????????

Haha if so I completely missed that. Watched it on a screen and alcohol. But still...

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Yeah, it was Depp. His and Smith's Daughters are best friends (they were the two convenience store clerks). Depp's kid was the shorter one.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Really fucking weird movie. I'm not sure what to say about it, or if I really liked it or not. I can totally see the internet voting for this movie, but I'm honestly not sure if it needed to be made. I will say that it is the first movie I've actually liked Depp for years though, and the girlfriend was super hot, so there's that. Also, the very ending bothered me the same as it did Xarpolis. Metaphor or whatever, it still didn't sit well with me.

• 1Like

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Definitely a weird flick especially when I watched it not knowing anything about it originally, also why are people compairing this to Cabin in the woods? Human centpede would have made more sense. Also agree the ending was dumb, atleast Depp didnt die which I thought was going to happen for some reason

• 1Like