Twitch.tv

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Technically speaking, yes, you have to. But unless you have one of the rightsholders at your party, you're not going to get DMCA'd.

No you don't. That is more ignorant trash.

Saying there is no argument is asinine. Not only is there an argument to be made, the DMCA is wholly unable to handle more modern situations, like individuals streaming to a widely varying sizes of audiences.

Witless

Trakanon Raider
So Twitch ads are just the new reality at this point? I can't find any combination of browser extensions that prevents any of it anymore?
I use Firefox and the and the previously mentioned extension. Haven’t seen an ad in awhile.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
LOL at thinking you have to pay a fee to play music with other people around. What the fuck? Hahaha

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
No you don't. That is more ignorant trash.

Saying there is no argument is asinine. Not only is there an argument to be made, the DMCA is wholly unable to handle more modern situations, like individuals streaming to a widely varying sizes of audiences.

LOL at thinking you have to pay a fee to play music with other people around. What the fuck? Hahaha

You're both retarded. The recorded sound file is copyrighted. By playing it around other people, you are reproducing it, which is technically copyright infringement. Society generally accepts it as legal because there aren't ASCAP/BMI agents running around the world sniffing for copyright infringement in people's backyards. It's not legal, but people don't think twice about it because they won't get caught - and even if they did, I don't think the rightsholders would care. This is basic copyright law.

Size of audience has NOTHING to do with fair use either. RTFM.

goishen

Macho Ma'am
All of you fucking people can argue about the legality of it all you want. The truth of the matter is that he's correct. The RIAA can bend us over and anally rape us for playing something written in 1930.

Until we change the laws, fuck off. My stance? 10 years, then it goes to free domain. I'm sorry Sir Mix A Lot, Baby Got Back money isn't coming in anymore.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Yep, we're definitely the retards here.
I've been saying that for years. Good on you for finally listening.

None of this has any bearing on the point I've tried to make several times, and is continuously being glossed over.

Give us the ability to license the music and we will do so. We can't do it right now. This is dumb.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Khane

What Twitch is doing, right now, is covering their ass to get the liability protection afforded them as an online service provider under the DMCA. I'm sure, eventually, you'll have more appropriate rights on Twitch but it seems to me they got too many requests to remove copyrighted material and are blanket removing anything without checking if it actually does violate any copyright laws.

What we were talking about in the last few posts was the statement that it's copyright infringement to play music at a private party in your own home and nothing to do with Twitch.

How private is private?

A private party for, say, 10 people in your home clearly is a “private performance” as intended under U.S. Copyright Laws. A “private” party with 2,500 attendees at a country club, however, is distinctly less so, and in many situations, that kind of event could be subject to music licensing requirements.

Last edited:

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
What Twitch is doing is ignoring the record labels entirely, several of which have reached out in an attempt to legitimize these activities (and make more money for themselves).

They are literally sticking their head in the sand, at the expense of their streamers.

And it IS copyright infringement to play music at a private party, but unless you're inviting a couple of RIAA lawyers, they have no way of catching you in the act. They can absolutely catch you in the act of streaming it, because it's open to the entire internet. Let's not be ridiculous.

• 1Like

Khane

And it IS copyright infringement to play music at a private party

No, it isn't. Unless you're doing things that turn that "private" party into a public event in the eyes of the law. Like charging an entry fee.

Anyway, how Twitch is currently handling things is obviously not good for their own brand in the long run. It seems like a very lazy, knee jerk reaction.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Amazon is just using streamers as a pawn in a bigger game, sucks to be you. wah wah wah cry some more

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
Amazon is just using streamers as a pawn in a bigger game, sucks to be you. wah wah wah cry some more
Next thing you know they'll be able to get by copyright as long as they own the song on their Amazon/Twitch account.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Something like $2.50 per subscriber? maybe less which last year was like 160,000 subscribers from just the top 10 streamers. Plus ads and other means

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
subs are dropped in the bucket towards operating costs, ads are their way to chase actual profit and streamers like hafu who signed contracts to play ads don't exactly keep it secret how much they get for that. Their contract cut pays for a house.

The reality is the people who don't want to watch ads.. aren't going to spontaneously start wanting to. Streamers themselves don't like ads playing over top of their content, and for the ones that do have some control it's still a challenge depending on what type of genres they play since it doesn't naturally break up into neat blocks like a television show.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
What Twitch is doing is ignoring the record labels entirely, several of which have reached out in an attempt to legitimize these activities (and make more money for themselves).

They are literally sticking their head in the sand, at the expense of their streamers.

such a simplistic and narcissistic take as to what's going on

this - to be more clear though, twitch is being used as a pawn in a much much bigger game between bezos and the entertainment industry et el. monster multi national companies going at it and twitch is just catching some flack that they can do nothing about

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
such a simplistic and narcissistic take as to what's going on
Oh, my bad, you know what's up here.

What's your Twitch channel, and where are you getting your information? I'd like to read up and you're clearly more informed than I am.

• 1Salty