Twitch.tv

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I'm not sure what is going on with Twitch. For awhile now I wasn't able to block ads on Twitch, I removed the add-on and reinstalled browsers etc, nothing worked, still ads. Today I decided to reinstall windows ( something I do every couple of months, to keep my PC running smooth ) and uBlock works perfectly fine for me after reinstalling windows.
Either its just a coincidence or something weird is going on here.
Prime time has more ad spams than during the day. Companies aren't wasting money on the low amount of daytime peons.

ili

Blackwing Lair Raider
Prime time has more ad spams than during the day. Companies aren't wasting money on the low amount of daytime peons.
I'm getting zero ads now, no matter the time of day, after reinstalling my OS. I also noticed if I disable uBlock for any reason and forget to enable it before watching twitch again, I'm no longer able to block ads on twitch with uBlock. Something fishy is going on here. No matter what I do on my other PC, I'm still not able to block ads, with uBlock.

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
I swear I looked at like 3 clips and now 75% of my youtube referrals are all twitch shit. However, this popped up and now I am pretty sure Anita is really Boozecube.

• 4Worf
  • 1Rustled
Reactions: 4 users

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Alternate twitch player seems to have updated to the newest wave. Im getting blocked pre-rolls but no ads during the streams.

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
I'd be interested to hear from the big streamers and if they have attempted to get a commercial license for themselves and how that went.

I am pretty sure the real sticking point is dealing with the copywrite and licensing laws in every country a Twitch viewer could be from. Mike Shinoda was on dropped frames and basically said he cannot even license Linkin Park music to himself to play on his stream and his lawyers and twitch's lawyers said no and its primarily due to the fact that everybody who would have any claim to money from it playing is way too much of a pain in the ass to even consider making a license.

It would be trivial for him to get the go ahead for Linkin Park stuff, but many artists have writers who are not the performer, who also get royalties based on play, plus producers, so it's just a rabbit hole they have no desire to go down or even make exceptions for.

Oldbased

> Than U
A bit behind here but probably 75% of twitch would love to have 10 viewers.
I know people who streamed decent content 8 hours a day for 2 years gaming and rarely had over 6.
Been keeping a text document on my twitch watching. I went from 3-6 hours a night usually to 30 minutes in the past 2 weeks.
I'm sure it'll increase in a few months when some new RP survival servers kick off, but certainly won't be subbing to multiple people/watching a ton.
It isn't them. It is entirely on Twitch.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
A bit behind here but probably 75% of twitch would love to have 10 viewers.
I know people who streamed decent content 8 hours a day for 2 years gaming and rarely had over 6.
Been keeping a text document on my twitch watching. I went from 3-6 hours a night usually to 30 minutes in the past 2 weeks.
I'm sure it'll increase in a few months when some new RP survival servers kick off, but certainly won't be subbing to multiple people/watching a ton.
It isn't them. It is entirely on Twitch.
It's more like 95%. Many pages back I posted a massively zoomed out picture of streamers with three viewers playing LOL. Then it made my browser crash.
Besides being a platform for a few dozen lucky players who get to live off of it, Twitch is mainly a platform for thousands of people to talk into a camera while they're streaming their gameplay to absolutely no one.

well I went back to it, so here it is. Merry Christmas

Last edited:

Oldbased

> Than U
It's more like 95%. Many pages back I posted a massively zoomed out picture of streamers with three viewers playing LOL. Then it made my browser crash.
Besides being a platform for a few dozen lucky players who get to live off of it, Twitch is mainly a platform for thousands of people to talk into a camera while they're streaming their gameplay to absolutely no one.

well I went back to it, so here it is. Merry Christmas

I was going to say 90% but since I was making up a number, tried to be more fair. You are probably right though. It was bad before Covid, it's nuts now.
In fact it appears many who was streaming near full time precovid have stopped, probably due to the dilution and well, lack of actual gaming.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Hot take on DMCA vs. Twitch from someone who knows this shit very well:

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Hot take on DMCA vs. Twitch from someone who knows this shit very well:

Twitch/Amazon would probably have to offer the same deal to other music services like Spotify / Google / Pandora or whatever else there is. Having the music split off into a separate stream from the "main" is a good idea.

Last edited:

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Twitch/Amazon would probably have to offer the same deal to other music services like Spotify / Google / Pandora or whatever else there is. Having the music split off into a separate stream from the "main" is a good idea.
No, it isn't. You can (and do) still get live takedowns. VODs and clips are an afterthought.

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
This is just another example of an ancient industry that doesn't understand that they are hurting their own bottom line.

No one goes to a game streamers channel for the music; they may like it but it is the streaming content they come to watch. In fact, the streamers are more likely to drive song sales from watchers that hear a song they like. I would argue that the commentary and gameplay are transformative enough to justify all songs as fair use outside of donations for specific songs. So the rightsholders are trying to get paid for listeners that would have never paid in the first place and costing themselves paying customers by withholding the songs from the streamers those customers are paying to experience. Bravo, morons.

Cybsled

This is just another example of an ancient industry that doesn't understand that they are hurting their own bottom line.

No one goes to a game streamers channel for the music; they may like it but it is the streaming content they come to watch. In fact, the streamers are more likely to drive song sales from watchers that hear a song they like. I would argue that the commentary and gameplay are transformative enough to justify all songs as fair use outside of donations for specific songs. So the rightsholders are trying to get paid for listeners that would have never paid in the first place and costing themselves paying customers by withholding the songs from the streamers those customers are paying to experience. Bravo, morons.

It's basically a prisoner's dilema for the music industry, but they are opting to do the "fuck them over" option over and over without understanding the compromise is what will yield the most gain in the long run.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
I think you meant...

insert_bitch_gagging_on_a_dick_here.gif
Of course, you have no idea what you're talking about, but I'm not surprised that you're swinging your tiny dick around anyway.

This place will never change.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

goishen

Macho Ma'am
Of course, you have no idea what you're talking about, but I'm not surprised that you're swinging your tiny dick around anyway.

This place will never change.

And... What? You want me to congratulate you, because you in to recite the law?

Do you think that makes you special? Do you want a cookie, you fuckin' mook?