Twitch.tv

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
I am a 38 yr old father ashamed to say this, but the chess Brah / Hikaru drama is super spicy and worth checking out !

yeah, that's pretty good drama. basically an anyonymous account called chessbae94 has been buying influence since the start of chess streaming, donating 10s of thousands of dollars, maybe even 100s of thousands to chess streams, buying mod status for some 40+ streams. they have been pushing leftist politics and stirring drama, while of course quickly banning opposing/pro-trump views. it finally came to a head when they initiated a copyright strike on behalf of hikaru nakamura against eric hansen due to a clip of one of their chess matches. hansen called hikaru and chessbae out on that and there was immediate backlash. it spread pretty fast because hikaru and chessbae are pretty disliked in the community. there was also a hilarious vid released where hikaru had challenged eric to a fight after a drunken chess match, and quickly got his ass beat and was basically chocked out. overall, chessbae's influence has been severely diminished as a result.

• 1WTF
Reactions: 1 user

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
Never in my wildest dreams would I have ever expected to hear about drama revolving around chess nerds!

Szlia

I feel like Chessbae is an anonymous account run by Hikaru.
Chessbea is an actual person that, as far as I understand, has been involved with chess for years before chess streaming has been a thing. Hansen, who met her in person, said that she basically financed Hambleton's GM title (getting the title implies full time dedication to chess plus a lot of international travelling) and that's a journey he did between 2013 and 2018.

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Entertaining?
1618523513555.png

• 2Worf
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

gauze

Molten Core Raider
Meanwhile, i'm out here on Watch streamers with no audience losing 30min to an hour of my life looking at these people. It's pretty bad down there, if unintentional cringe is your cup of entertainment. I'd imagine it was posted here, but someone pulled some stats together and learned if you average about 6 viewers, you're in the top 6.7% of twitch.

• 3Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 3 users

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
Chessbea is an actual person that, as far as I understand, has been involved with chess for years before chess streaming has been a thing. Hansen, who met her in person, said that she basically financed Hambleton's GM title (getting the title implies full time dedication to chess plus a lot of international travelling) and that's a journey he did between 2013 and 2018.

I guess that's why they let her get away with all kinds of stuff for so long before they finally had enough. I've seen her play a couple of times and she's been an amateur at best, yet has had influence enough to cower several GMs, glad she's done for now.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Any working adblockers these days?

Sick of using streamlink
No, the ad situation on Twitch is as bad as it has ever been.

I'm still amazed that they just use the old "takeover the entire screen" ad method. It is a huge detractor from their product.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm

M3U8 proxies seem to be the only in-browser solutions and twitch is still battling with them. Be aware that they basically use an API to access the developer's website to try to hide how the magic happens from twitch devs. Current implementations are taking the stream segment playlist and filtering out the ad segment, which i assume is what streamlink does anyways.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
I'm still amazed that they just use the old "takeover the entire screen" ad method. It is a huge detractor from their product.
I've been reading posts about how to avoid ads and how they're killing the platform for over a year and yet the same people are still here watching twitch, complaining about the ads, nothing is different. They aren't changing anything because they don't have to.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
I've been reading posts about how to avoid ads and how they're killing the platform for over a year and yet the same people are still here watching twitch, complaining about the ads, nothing is different. They aren't changing anything because they don't have to.
It's about cementing a lead. They are so far out in front that if they also pioneered amazing ways to make ads show but not interrupt their content then their lead would be insurmountable. As it stands, though, the first opportunity most people get to jump ship will be the last time they use Twitch. They'll get a real competitor at some point so they should be working on ways to crush that future competition now.