Un-flashing a Straight Talk phone

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
Title says it all, got a samsung nexus s back that had been flashed to work on straight and no amount of beatings I throw at this can get the firmware back to anything else. Have tried factory wipe, wipe via msl, rooting/unrooting/rooting again, applying stock roms (2.7 & 4.1) but nothing has gotten it free of that hell hole.

As a last ditch effort, took it into a sprint store where they attempted to force the sprint rom over it, and still failed

Amidst the google, I have found no resolution. Anyone have any experience? Straight Talks tech department is so dumb that it is beyond words.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Seems hard to believe that a root and wipe (combined) wouldn't get it out.

If you're planning to go to Sprint and want a Nexus S and push comes to shove you can't fix that one software wise - I do have a Sprint model sitting around unused (although I'll have to figure out where the wife hid it, was on her desk before some spring cleaning... and not seeing it there this second) but in need of a screen replacement that I'd be more than willing to let go for whatever it costs to ship it. [Also a Galaxy Nexus in the same boat - cracked screen (that works) and only would ask shipping]

However as a warning for using it on Sprint, Sprint is going to start getting rid of the 4G band the Nexus S uses in 2015 sometime - so if that's a dealbreaker you might want to save the hassle and get something newer. (Personally I can't imagine using it anymore after our recent upgrade - note the GNexus does use LTE so will not lose 4G when they turn that band off)

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
Already have a Sprint account and gf was going to join the framily plan for a cheapo rate. I don't know what they did to the firmware, but nothing will revert it back to the core sprint software it came with.

More just curious if they truly do screw up the software by flashing it that much that it can't be reversed.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Only thing I could think of is Sprint doesn't use SIMs and some ST does, so that might foul things up - but no SIM access on a Nexus S at all so doesn't seem possible.