Underrated bands of the 90’s

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
eh I may be a bit young for this topic i think, born in 85 so most of the 90's stuff I didn't really discover and appreciate until after 2000 when I started high school

I was born in '86 and I was rocking out to Nirvana, Green Day, Soundgarden, and ska while playing Magic and Pogs.

• 1Edgelord
Reactions: 1 user

Fadaar

That guy
I was born in '86 and I was rocking out to Nirvana, Green Day, Soundgarden, and ska while playing Magic and Pogs.

well yeah same here but i was referring more to knowing about underrated 90's bands :p we all know the big ones

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
well yeah same here but i was referring more to knowing about underrated 90's bands :p we all know the big ones

Yeah, but some of the ska and punk was a bit underground. Listened to so much Operation Ivy then too. Although I guess that straddles the 80s.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
AiC is hands down my favorite band of all time. Like Alex Alex said they are still great even with new singer. I wouldn’t at all say underrated. They are just accepted as god tier.

• 1Like

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Yeah the two newer AIC albums are some of my favorite new music, outside of QotSA, of the last decade. All Secrets Known is a personal favorite of mine. They are a band I consider one of the all time greats and fairly unique in sound when compared to most of the rest of their genre. A big issue with the 90s is too many bands sounded like Nirvana and Soundgarden, which is a trap Alice in Chains avoided by having unique chord structures and interesting vocals. Unplugged really shines a light on how unique and actually musically talented they were and are.

• 1Like

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Everything I thought was underrated was apparently huge...

Just so much good music from the 90s

Sterling

El Presidente
We should do a 70s version of this thread so we can talk about how underrated Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd are.

• 3Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Cleetus-Meetbeetus

<Silver Donator>
I think what I mean is, let's say I see two dogs humping on the side of the road as I drive to work. I might go into work and go, "Saw two dogs humping on the way here" or such.

But people will never eat lunch with me again if I say, "I saw two dogs humping on the way here and furthermore I think dog humping is underrated as far as things to see goes."

GWAR is just GWAR. If you see GWAR, you go, "I saw GWAR." No reason to gild the lily.
In 92 I was walking past the Westwind Hotel on 9th Ave, Calgary. There were a whooole bunch of hair people getting rowdy in the back parking lot, lots of whooping and shouting, so I went back to see what was going on. They were lined up to see Gwar. I'd never heard of the band, but the enthusiasm was infectious so I got in line and went in. The Westward Club was wrapped in plastic duct taped to the walls, bar, and furniture. By the end of the night the entire place was coated in fake blood. I was red from head to foot, and there were shirts and shoes and other articles of clothes strewn all over the place. The next day I was listening to the university radio station and they were interviewing Oderus. He said they'd used 50 gallons of fake blood. It was the most amazing fucked up show I've ever seen. Hard not to gild that lily.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users
In 92 I was walking past the Westwind Hotel on 9th Ave, Calgary. There were a whooole bunch of hair people getting rowdy in the back parking lot, lots of whooping and shouting, so I went back to see what was going on. They were lined up to see Gwar. I'd never heard of the band, but the enthusiasm was infectious so I got in line and went in. The Westward Club was wrapped in plastic duct taped to the walls, bar, and furniture. By the end of the night the entire place was coated in fake blood. I was red from head to foot, and there were shirts and shoes and other articles of clothes strewn all over the place. The next day I was listening to the university radio station and they were interviewing Oderus. He said they'd used 50 gallons of fake blood. It was the most amazing fucked up show I've ever seen. Hard not to gild that lily.
Exactly. I never was lucky enough to see them, not in my circuits at the time. But some bands truly are just off the rails and god bless 'em. And I don't mean GG Allin off the rails. That's a diff monster and not sure I like that one.

Rease

Blackwing Lair Raider
I am not some huge fan of the New Radicals but I always bop whenever I hear their songs. I think they were a little underrated as they really were only popular for a little bit based on one song. Their album was better than I thought it would be. I used to listen to it back then fairly often near the end of the decade.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Phazael

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Sid was probably the OG completely off the rails drugged out rock artist. I remember liking some of the Sid era stuff when I was younger, but honestly I can't stand it now. Wish you were Here will forever be my favorite cover to cover Floyd Album, but Animals is definitely a close second.

Phazael

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
On topic and not my favorite genre of music, but I also remember really being into Utah Saints for a while in the 90s. Generally did not like that kind of music, but they did some really good samples and it was great to party to.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Sid was probably the OG completely off the rails drugged out rock artist. I remember liking some of the Sid era stuff when I was younger, but honestly I can't stand it now. Wish you were Here will forever be my favorite cover to cover Floyd Album, but Animals is definitely a close second.
Hmmm good point.

Haven’t listened to Floyd since I was 16.

Rease

Blackwing Lair Raider
Not sure if these guys fit exactly as 90's since they originated in 1987 but they got much more traction in the 1990's. Porcupine Tree is a solid progressive export out of Canada imho. They have great harmonies and a ton of albums. I would suggest the live album Arriving Somewhere to whet your whistles.

Here is an excerpt:

• 1Like

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Not sure if these guys fit exactly as 90's since they originated in 1987 but they got much more traction in the 1990's. Porcupine Tree is a solid progressive export out of Canada imho. They have great harmonies and a ton of albums. I would suggest the live album Arriving Somewhere to whet your whistles.

Here is an excerpt:

Ehh, I would never really consider them a 90s band since they are mostly known for their 2000s material. They really took off once Gavin Harrison joined the band. I say this as someone who is probably the gayest for Steven Wilson on this entire forum. And Steven Wilson pretty is Porcupine Tree.

The song you linked is even from a 2005 album. And Arriving Somewhere Not Here is almost exclusively 2000s material. Because that's the best shit.

• 1Like