University of Houston 3 Day Startup: Market Validation

Canipso_sl

shitlord
Hey everyone,

I'm currently participating in University of Houston's 3 Day Startup. 3 Day Startup is an entrepreneurship education program designed for university students with an emphasis on learning by doing. The idea is simple: start tech companies over the course of three days.

My group is creating an app/program that allows a student to take a picture of a syllabus, press a button, and instantly populate their Google/Outlook/Windows/Apple calendar with all the relevant dates from that syllabus without ever needing to type them in. Our mentor suggested that we throw the idea out to "the internet" (Reddit) and get feedback on how credible the idea is. Another group member is out spamming other sites, but to me Rerolled IS "the internet". So:

1. Would this app be something you would have interest in purchasing?

2. Do you have any suggested additional functionality that would make the app (more) viable?

I would really appreciate any feedback.

elidrin_sl

shitlord
Hey everyone,

I'm currently participating in University of Houston's 3 Day Startup. 3 Day Startup is an entrepreneurship education program designed for university students with an emphasis on learning by doing. The idea is simple: start tech companies over the course of three days.

My group is creating an app/program that allows a student to take a picture of a syllabus, press a button, and instantly populate their Google/Outlook/Windows/Apple calendar with all the relevant dates from that syllabus without ever needing to type them in. Our mentor suggested that we throw the idea out to "the internet" (Reddit) and get feedback on how credible the idea is. Another group member is out spamming other sites, but to me Rerolled IS "the internet". So:

2. Do you have any suggested additional functionality that would make the app (more) viable?

I think you have a neat idea and if it was priced right I would have strongly considered buying it when I was in school. I think along with the idea of snapping a picture of the syllabus you should also potentially consider reading from a pdf/word/etc file in case there are multiple pages to the syllabus. That might be more convenient than snapping pictures of each page but I dunno. That's something you can decide as you go through testing. Good luck on your project!

Vilgan_sl

shitlord
Fun idea. I would have aimed at making the schools the target audience, with an export option to make a version of the syllabus that can then be read by student's smartphones and added to their calendars (free app for the students). Either way works tho. You should post here again if you get something working
wink.png

Btw, this 3 day startup idea seems very similar to "startup weekend" that happens in a lot of places. You might take a look at apps that have come out of those to get a feel for what can be tackled in that sort of time period.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
I'd purchase it even for 10-15$. Beats having to constantly look at the syllabus and look at calendars.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Hey everyone,

Sounds awesome, especially for students with a heavy workload.

Do you have a proof of concept?

I'm assuming that you're just doing due-diligence at this point.