UNO rules question

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider
To anyone familiar with the Uno card game, typically when a player puts down a card that will result in them having one card left, at what point is that player supposed to say “Uno” and when do other players have a chance to say “Uno” to penalize the player and force them to draw two cards?

I maintain that no one but the player playing their card can say “Uno” until that player has taken their hand off of it and that the player may say “Uno” from the time they start putting the card down.

• 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

TBT-TheBigToe

Gemcutter
<Gold Donor>
To anyone familiar with the Uno card game, typically when a player puts down a card that will result in them having one card left, at what point is that player supposed to say “Uno” and when do other players have a chance to say “Uno” to penalize the player and force them to draw two cards?

I maintain that no one but the player playing their card can say “Uno” until that player has taken their hand off of it and that the player may say “Uno” from the time they start putting the card down.
I am picturing a person typing this into their phone, maybe their pc, before putting the bag of ice back on their eye. The exchange of fists was brief but violent, the words will have done more lasting damage. Neither will admit to being wrong so the blood stained cards remain scattered across the floor, table flipped over with one leg broken, some shattered glass and spilled beverage resting unattended to. The other player nurses what is most likely a broken nose, waiting for the answer to settle who is right and who is wrong...

"It's just a card game.", no. It's about who is Right and who is Wrong.

This matter will be settled tonight even if someone doesn't make it home.

• 8Worf
Reactions: 7 users

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>

You are playing with my rules lawyer little brother right?

Right?

• 4Worf
Reactions: 3 users

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider
You are playing with my rules lawyer little brother right?

Right?
the problem is, even in the official rules, it doesnt specify the timing which is why i maintain it should be after the player lets go of the card; technically the player hasnt played the card until theyve at least put it on the table, but my opponent was trying to call uno even as i was putting it down and i still said uno before them, it's just annoying if someone is going to try to call uno the split second you start making your move.

my reasoning for the hands off the card rule, is that that's the point when you've officially played the card. furthermore i think the Uno rule is designed to punish people who forget to say "uno" rather than as a means for people to wait on your play so they can say "uno" the split second you put the card down. there should be a somewhat noticeable beat in time before someone says "uno," in other words, the player needs a chance to say it themselves when playing the card

• 2Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

you've been playing it wrong

it's not about speed saying uno, it's about the next person, picking up from the deck as fast as possible to initiate their turn, and then calling out the uno player
5b6c183b7d224a374cb4cf76c601eaf9.png

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Picard

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider
you've been playing it wrong

it's not about speed saying uno, it's about the next person, picking up from the deck as fast as possible to initiate their turn, and then calling out the uno player
5b6c183b7d224a374cb4cf76c601eaf9.png
that still leaves it ambiguous, my friend believes you can call "Uno" at any point you're putting down your second to last card, but I believe they do that because they just want to make sure you get penalized. because initially, they were calling "uno" the second I put the card down, even as I was trying to say it.

i believe you're correct in that it's not about speed saying "uno," and it's more of a punishment for players who get careless and forget to say it.

it's just the rules don't really specify

• 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
that still leaves it ambiguous, my friend believes you can call "Uno" at any point you're putting down your second to last card, but I believe they do that because they just want to make sure you get penalized. because initially, they were calling "uno" the second I put the card down, even as I was trying to say it.

i believe you're correct in that it's not about speed saying "uno," and it's more of a punishment for players who get careless and forget to say it.

it's just the rules don't really specify
your friend is a retard and has been playing house rules all this time.

• 3Solidarity
  • 2Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
your friend is a retard and has been playing house rules all this time.
Yeah my family (extended) has played it every thanksgiving for maybe 35 years. The next player definitely has to draw the card giving you time to say uno.

• 1Like

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
players have until you take your hand off the card and the next person starts their turn to call uno on you, you can call it anytime between putting the card down and the next person starts their turn. anyone who plays any other kind of rules is just asking for a punch in the face

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider
Here’s the response from the official Uno account on twitter

Still ambiguous as hell answer I’m almost positive a bot responded

• 1Like

Feien

Ploppers
not saying "Uno"... before the next player has taken their turn...

I take this as the time gap between you laying down your card and the next player drawing a card to begin their turn. Makes it a bit more chaotic and fun, rather than the annoying way your friend is playing it.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
It's only ambiguous if you want to be an obnoxious cunt who people will eventually just stop playing games with. It's a fucking game of Uno, not a court case

• 1Solidarity

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Here’s the response from the official Uno account on twitter

Still ambiguous as hell answer I’m almost positive a bot responded

If you're the one putting the card down, how are they beating you to saying it? You have all the advantage

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
That rules wording isnt ambiguous at all. Not even a little. "One card left".

You can't call UNO while youre holding one card in your left hand and one in your right; you still have two cards left at that point.

When your hand leaves the penultimate card you may call UNO and no earlier.

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider
If you're the one putting the card down, how are they beating you to saying it? You have all the advantage
the opponent is trying to beat me to saying "uno"

i maintain, i need a beat to say it myself: i havent forgotten to say it, its the opponent is trying to say if before me.

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider

You can't call UNO while youre holding one card in your left hand and one in your right; you still have two cards left at that point.

the issue is my opponent claims they're beating me at saying Uno, because theyre trying to say it the split second i put the card down, not because i put the card down and forgot to say it

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm

no that's not right. it's an order of operations type thing. the person playing their second to last card needs a free period to call uno that the other players aren't allowed to say uno, otherwise it's just creating a chaotic free for all. other players yelling out uno on the other player's turn is meant to be a punishment for forgetting to say uno as you get down to your last card. if there's no free period then it just turns into everyone yelling uno nonstop.

so again, if it's your turn and you have 2 cards left. as soon as you take one of those cards out of your "hand" (the cards, not your hand hand), effectively having one card in each of your hands, that's when YOU can say uno as you are placing that card down. as soon as you complete putting that card down, if you haven't call uno yet, other players can now freely say uno and force you to draw cards. that time period lasts right up until the next player starts their turn (either putting a card down or drawing a card).

• 1Dislike
  • 1Like

Gankak

Vyemm Raider
Tell your friend or family member to stop being a douche, its a fucking game

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 3 users