UNO rules question

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Tell your friend or family member to stop being a douche, its a fucking game

we all have that one person. I remember the black Templar dude at our shop that abused the rhino mechanic and hid his guys inside shooting the whole time.

people just stopped playing with him

Gankak

Vyemm Raider
we all have that one person. I remember the black Templar dude at our shop that abused the rhino mechanic and hid his guys inside shooting the whole time.

We do, and Im competitive as fuck but rules lawyering over shit is so stupid

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
the issue is my opponent claims they're beating me at saying Uno, because theyre trying to say it the split second i put the card down, not because i put the card down and forgot to say it
If they say it after your hand is off the penultimate card and before you say Uno, they are correct

j00t is wrong because he's trying to call last card while still holding his penultimate card. Holding two cards, he would call out "last card". No, you have two cards.

everyone complaining about rules lawyering is correct - but once the lawyering begins, it has to be resolved.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
If they say it after your hand is off the penultimate card and before you say Uno, they are correct

j00t is wrong because he's trying to call last card while still holding his penultimate card. Holding two cards, he would call out "last card". No, you have two cards.

everyone complaining about rules lawyering is correct - but once the lawyering begins, it has to be resolved.
you are physically holding 2 cards, one in each physical hand, but your "hand of cards" only has one card.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yeah, but you see, the second your skin stops touching the card you're playing, your turn is over and whoever shouts uno first wins! So also, every game of Uno has to have a sound recorder with a visual interface so we can verify who actually shouted uno first out of this hypothetical group of utter douche bags.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
honestly, what i would do if you're having this much issue is start a homerule where if you yell uno on someone who still has control of more than 1 card, YOU have to draw cards. the "uno" rule is supposed to punish the player who FORGETS to say uno when they go down to 1 card, not be a race to who at the table can say it first

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
that still leaves it ambiguous, my friend believes you can call "Uno" at any point you're putting down your second to last card, but I believe they do that because they just want to make sure you get penalized. because initially, they were calling "uno" the second I put the card down, even as I was trying to say it.

i believe you're correct in that it's not about speed saying "uno," and it's more of a punishment for players who get careless and forget to say it.

it's just the rules don't really specify
If somebody calls Uno before you release your card you don't have Uno, you have dos.

Is there a penalty for calling Uno when no Uno is had?

However, if your finger removes and they beat you to the punch you lose.

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider

In Heroscape, you can open/close doors unlimited times during your turn so you can legally open door, shoot, and close door all in one turn. such oversight.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I've never played Uno but it's sounding like a litmus test for determining if you should ever play a game of anything with a particular person ever again.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
that still leaves it ambiguous, my friend believes you can call "Uno" at any point you're putting down your second to last card, but I believe they do that because they just want to make sure you get penalized. because initially, they were calling "uno" the second I put the card down, even as I was trying to say it.

i believe you're correct in that it's not about speed saying "uno," and it's more of a punishment for players who get careless and forget to say it.

it's just the rules don't really specify

Bro, there's not much ambiguity. Take a few breaths and reread it. It says in plain english that the player has until the next player has taken his turn. If you want ambiguity you can argue over whether that means the next player has to play a card or if drawing one is good enough.

• 1Like

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Rules simply need a penalty for opposing players saying it too early. Otherwise I'm just gonna say nothing but "uno" constantly until the game is over since it either protects me or harms them.

That seems unintentionally stupid.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Reminds me of when we played casual MTG when I was 17. I bought a broken deck off the internet, destroyed someone in my first game using it and then expected them all to keep playing MTG. Everyone quit and I learned a lesson that day.

When playing with friends you need to win without resorting cheap tactics and be prepared to play less seriously/more risky if you keep winning, so that everyone has fun.

Explain this to this person and that there will be no more UNO if he keeps doing it.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Reminds me of when we played casual MTG when I was 17. I bought a broken deck off the internet, destroyed someone in my first game using it and then expected them all to keep playing MTG. Everyone quit and I learned a lesson that day.

When playing with friends you need to win without resorting cheap tactics and be prepared to play less seriously/more risky if you keep winning, so that everyone has fun.

Explain this to this person and that there will be no more UNO if he keeps doing it.
You have to do this with anyone honestly. There were a couple guys at work that played MTG on lunch break. I told them I used to play and still had my old cards. They said it wouldn’t be fair for me to use old ones because power creep they would destroy me, so they told me which expansion to buy. I bought some and made a deck that just absolutely destroyed them both over and over. They had really shit decks, and weren’t very good with timing and rules. I wasn’t gloating or anything and would even purposely not do things to them to let the game go longer than it should and they were still getting upset. They eventually asked me not to play, and I was ok with it cause I could tell on their faces and looks they were giving each other they weren’t having fun with me destroying them every game. It wasn’t much fun for me either because the moves they were doing were obviously so bad I was just watching and holding back trying to give them advice.

Anyways OP…why the fuck are you playing Uno with another adult? Uno is something you introduce kids to card games with not play with other adults.

• 1Solidarity

Chris

Potato del Grande
You have to do this with anyone honestly. There were a couple guys at work that played MTG on lunch break. I told them I used to play and still had my old cards. They said it wouldn’t be fair for me to use old ones because power creep they would destroy me, so they told me which expansion to buy. I bought some and made a deck that just absolutely destroyed them both over and over. They had really shit decks, and weren’t very good with timing and rules. I wasn’t gloating or anything and would even purposely not do things to them to let the game go longer than it should and they were still getting upset. They eventually asked me not to play, and I was ok with it cause I could tell on their faces and looks they were giving each other they weren’t having fun with me destroying them every game. It wasn’t much fun for me either because the moves they were doing were obviously so bad I was just watching and holding back trying to give them advice.

Anyways OP…why the fuck are you playing Uno with another adult? Uno is something you introduce kids to card games with not play with other adults.
I had something similar where my grandfather taught me how to play chess - just how to move the pieces, no openings or principles - so years later my housemate is super into Chess and he had to play me 20 times to finally get a win then neber mentioned it again. I've since learned how to play properly and it's ridiculous that I could have beaten anyone back then who knew anything about Chess - he was just a retard.

The exception I'm experiencing right now is running a chess club for 11 year olds, I absolutely wreck them but it's always a prompt to teach them new things and praise them for lasting longer.

When they finally beat you they feel pretty fucking good about it - not had the 11-12 year olds beat me yet but one is close and a few of the 15-16 year olds who randomly showed up got me.

I also accidentally annihilated a friend's 6 year old at Draughts (I was being careful as I didn't remember the rules) and he had a full autistic meltdown.

Warr

<Bronze Donator>

MTG story checks out

Uno is awesome when you house-rule the fuck out of it. Allowing skips and reverses on Draw 2s / Draw 4s, etc. We had a custom deck that was 2 put together with a higher % of those special cards in it as well and had a group that played every day at lunch. Best part about that job.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
i bought marvel uno for kids to play
3467c4e4533dc36fa9c9658bc0dfe18b.png

at 7 they loved it, but need supervision cuz it's kinda deep imo for a 7yr old to play, cuz you choose your hero to play, then each hero has a unique ability, then theres a possibility of fight the heroes nemesis

• 1Solidarity

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
the problem is, even in the official rules, it doesnt specify the timing which is why i maintain it should be after the player lets go of the card; technically the player hasnt played the card until theyve at least put it on the table, but my opponent was trying to call uno even as i was putting it down and i still said uno before them, it's just annoying if someone is going to try to call uno the split second you start making your move.

my reasoning for the hands off the card rule, is that that's the point when you've officially played the card. furthermore i think the Uno rule is designed to punish people who forget to say "uno" rather than as a means for people to wait on your play so they can say "uno" the split second you put the card down. there should be a somewhat noticeable beat in time before someone says "uno," in other words, the player needs a chance to say it themselves when playing the card
Things like this are is why the Comprehensive Rules of Magic: The Gathering is a 281 page PDF.

• 1Worf

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
Here’s the response from the official Uno account on twitter

Still ambiguous as hell answer I’m almost positive a bot responded
I have two concerns:

1) I don’t want anyone calling “UNO” in me.

2) Playing UNO is like using a semi-colon correctly; something I’m never going to do.

• 1Solidarity

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I have two concerns:

1) I don’t want anyone calling “UNO” in me.

2) Playing UNO is like using a semi-colon correctly; something I’m never going to do.
What if the were to moan and whisper UNO in you?

• 1Like