Unsolicited Robo-Calls

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
That's what they wanted, then they hit your phone bill with charges like you dialed a phone sex hot line.

Never call back a spammer!

Nah. it didn't even complete. Just the carrier's automated "wtf number was that?" error message.

Obsidian

<Bronze Donator>
I use calls blacklist to block all unknown numbers, any numbers not in my contacts list (this causes a problem here and there, but if it's important whoever it is will leave a voicemail) and any number that has the same area code and first 3 digits of my phone number. This has basically solved my problems, but if I look at the calls log I see that I'm getting 10+ spam calls a day. The area code + first 3 digits on some days will be 30+ calls in a single day. No idea how my number got on so many lists, probably from ordering stuff for my business. Seems like no one keeps their phone number databases secure

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The bizarre thing is how hit and miss their dialers are. Easily half the time it doesn't route to a live agent or they fuck up the transfer and hang up on me.
That's what I can't figure out. Sometimes I like to try and figure out what the scam is. How the fuck are they getting money from me if they won't even talk? I thought maybe it was a variation on the one ring callback scam, but these numbers are in my own area code, so there's no way they can be toll or international numbers, is there?

Many of these are to verify that it is a working number (which happens when you answer). Verified working numbers are worth much more than phone number dumps, when sold at lead generation sites. A number that was verified 6 hours ago is also worth more than one that was verified 6 days ago. What this equates to is that your phone number gets put on more lists.

As for calling them back, it is fairly safe to assume all numbers are spoofed, which currently means that the auto call programs use the first 6 numbers of the number it is dialing, and then randomizes the last 4 (if the scammers take the time to set up that feature). They can be based anywhere, from India, to Jamaica.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I have a new 2nd phone that is just for business. No robo calls or spoof calls in that time. No numbers saved on contacts. I just know the numbers I call on that phone by heart since they haven't changed in my lifetime, except possibly the area code once when I was younger. Dunno if it helps not having a contact list on your phone but so far not a single unwanted call or spoofed number.

• 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
I have a new 2nd phone that is just for business. No robo calls or spoof calls in that time. No numbers saved on contacts. I just know the numbers I call on that phone by heart since they haven't changed in my lifetime, except possibly the area code once when I was younger. Dunno if it helps not having a contact list on your phone but so far not a single unwanted call or spoofed number.

Or you're just lucky with that phone and number. When I got a new phone on a new provider a couple of years ago, day ONE, between about 2:30 when i picked up the phone and 7pm, I received 5 or 6 spam calls. Didn't bother answering them because no one would have that number and all of them were spoofed with the area code/prefix/random 4 digits.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

SeanDoe1z1

I’ve had robo calls hit my office line. Really rare like once per year but it’s annoying af when they make it through.

T-Mobile Android phone probably once a week.

Verizon Apple probably once a quarter.

Wife’s way worse on android too over apple.

Just anecdotal