UO Lost Lands (free shard opened 10/3/2014) T2A Ruleset

Rhuma_sl

shitlord
After playing archeage for the past few weeks and how everything in that game reminded me SOOOOOOOOOO much of UO, I started looking at the shards available that have been up... Checked out all the old timers, UOF/UO:R/UO:t2a and their all stale as shit. On browsing the UO reddit I happened uponuo lost lands

login.uolostlands.com: 2593

Download the client

Download Razor

Servers on day 3 and with a bit of some word of mouth it can be a good time killer OR a diamond in the rough.

Rhuma_sl

shitlord
Yeah I was hoping to get some people playing, doesn't take much to get the ball rolling, just need it to get the fuck ROLLING! lol

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
Killed 3 people with a shepard's crook so far, thats almost 20% of the server population rekt

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
interesting bug, you can have unlimited pets, currently sitting on 23 timber wolves

Rhuma_sl

shitlord
From what I've come to understand its almost a fresh run uo server with about a month of work trying to prevent afk gathering so there should be tons of stuff that's exploitable, including hacks.

This is just 2 guys running everything so the server can't handle a huge player base.

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
Its garbage, unlimited pets? crashing all the time? you can only cut 1 bandage at a time?

Amod delete this thread.

jackll_sl

shitlord
Its garbage, unlimited pets? crashing all the time? you can only cut 1 bandage at a time?

Amod delete this thread.
Hey guys, I am the owner of the UO Lost Lands server, I was taking a look where we were getting hits from to get a better idea of where to advertise ourselves and came across this thread.

I just wanted to pop in and clarify a few things - unlimited pets and cutting one bandage at a time are intended, these are things that are accurate to the T2A era. It may sound really OP to have as many pets as you want, but because of the mechanics in T2A, tamers are generally not a threat unless you fight on their terms. Perhaps we should be more clear on our website what the rules of T2A are, for now everything we have done is in our patch notes.

I'm interested in what you mean by "crashing all the time" - in the 7 weeks I've been developing the shard I have suffered maybe 5 client crashes at most and some of those crashes would not occur anymore. Are you running the game in admin mode and using the 5.0.8.3 client? The age of the client means it does need particular settings, probably another thing we should be more clear on.

From what I've come to understand its almost a fresh run uo server with about a month of work trying to prevent afk gathering so there should be tons of stuff that's exploitable, including hacks.
In the last 7 weeks between the two of us, there has been over 800 hours of work put into the server, and around 10 hours of that were put into various "gold exploits". RunUO by default is a fairly solid product, I would be surprised if anything you have said here is true. However the shard is in very early days, so no doubt we will discover some exploits that need to be fixed some time down the road.

I'm sorry you guys didn't enjoy our shard, but any feedback is good feedback, I will take what you said into consideration and make information more readily available on the website.

Rhuma_sl

shitlord
Things that are important for launching a shard:

Advertising build up hype so there is a decent population from the start.

UO shards generally bleed players the longer the shard is live, starting out with 14 clients on day 3 is basically a dead server.

Nobody wants to play an empty server, its against the very structure of a sandbox.

You need crafters, pks, sheep and bank sitters. Without even 1 of those groups it will negatively affect players perception of it.

Players need to know the server and it's owners are stable. You have no donations to support longevity.

Even if you're a clone of every shard in existence you offer something the others don't and that is a fresh world, tons of land and an opportunity to make a name for yourself.

If you're a retired millionaire, great! Let people know the server is worth spending time on without the fear of the plug being pulled because you got a flat tire one day or that you cant support a 1k+ population because you make minimum wage and the server costs would bankrupt you.

The fact I had to Sherlock Holmes to find the server is bad.

I'd also suggest you have a clear view, stated on your website what the server is intended to be and how you plan to go about it.

You're not too far in to reboot and do things right.

Uo an corp had over 1k people to start and was shit. Right now all those players are hanging around waiting for their reboot.

jackll_sl

shitlord
Thanks very much for the reply and the tips.

Things that are important for launching a shard:

Advertising build up hype so there is a decent population from the start.

UO shards generally bleed players the longer the shard is live, starting out with 14 clients on day 3 is basically a dead server.
While I agree with this, it is not always the case. UOSecondAge and UORenaissance are examples of servers that started out with a very low population and grew. Our shard goals are very similar to these servers and we hope to grow in the same fashion when people see we are dedicated to scripting a quality server. The problem I have seen in the past with many servers is they launch, and then nothing really changes after that. I literally breathe this server, I spend well over 80 hours a week working on it personally and don't plan to stop.

Nobody wants to play an empty server, its against the very structure of a sandbox.

You need crafters, pks, sheep and bank sitters. Without even 1 of those groups it will negatively affect players perception of it.
Yes, you're right. It's a chicken and egg situation though. People see the server and the low population, so don't start. Right now we need people players willing to put in the groundwork on a low population. Some people do like this. We do have players working on craft skills, fishermen and people who have gone directly to the "let's get farming" route.

Players need to know the server and it's owners are stable. You have no donations to support longevity.

Even if you're a clone of every shard in existence you offer something the others don't and that is a fresh world, tons of land and an opportunity to make a name for yourself.

If you're a retired millionaire, great! Let people know the server is worth spending time on without the fear of the plug being pulled because you got a flat tire one day or that you cant support a 1k+ population because you make minimum wage and the server costs would bankrupt you.
Honestly, the reason we don't have donations is because I feel like we are in a very early state. I don't want players to feel like we are begging or in this for profit. Both of us running the server have full time jobs and don't have a problem supporting the server by ourselves - we will likely put a donation link later. I will make it very clear on our website our goal, and that I am not going anywhere. The low population does not bother me at this stage, of course we do advertisements on Reddit and are creating website content to raise our Google SEO.

The fact I had to Sherlock Holmes to find the server is bad.

I'd also suggest you have a clear view, stated on your website what the server is intended to be and how you plan to go about it.

You're not too far in to reboot and do things right.

Uo an corp had over 1k people to start and was shit. Right now all those players are hanging around waiting for their reboot.
As the route we're taking is the one that UOSecondAge and Renissance took, things like our Google SEO being low will make the server hard to find. We have been advertising on Reddit and gaming forums where we can, as well as voting sites.

Although it's possible releasing the server at a later date would have been a better idea, we won't be rebooting. We are here as a stable shard.

edit:

As a side note, we will be patching on Friday. Other than fixing bugs relating to T2A vs RunUO default, we will include things in this patch to keep people sticking around long term, and encouraging them to stay logged in. It will help with the online count a bit and help with player retention, in terms of endgame stuff to do.

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
The launch is ruined.

People love a launch rush, where the get some buddies and act out their plan to get head. You've had about 5 unique users trickling in and out for a few days. Scrap it. What you should do is as follows...

1) Note that there is no need or niche which your shard fills, it is one among many. A ton of supply, no demand.
2) Note that there is a reasonably large desire for aSiege Perilious rulesetshard. There are NO Siege Shards out there. None. Zero. Yours could be the only one, and grow exponentially as a result. You've found a niche.

Consider what you have as a really, really, really, solid beta with some great antihax feature. No autogathering is a ok feature for a typical shard, but HUGE for a SP shard. Its massive.

Get onreddit, uoforums, etc gain some community traction and support for aSP rulesetshard. Recruit "Beta Testers".

Feel out what patch version ppl want, I think the consensus is patch 10 version of SP. Get people who know what they're talking about.

Recruit the Orc clans. Their existence on a shard draws players, it just does. Orcs are horny for a SP server.

Watch your following expand by orders of magnitude.

Re-Launchwhen ready, with a launch date heavilyadvertisedandhyped, ideally around the academic winter break in December.

2 second cursory search, hit up some of these ppl

Are there any free shards using Siege Perilous rules set? : ultimaonline

Someone do a Siege Perilous Server : ultimaonline

My new Siege Perilous server idea thread. : ultimaonline

UO Siege Perilous Shard - Ultima Online Forums

Rhuma_sl

shitlord
I get where you're coming from as far as keeping the shard up and slowly raising your player count but as a player not on your shard, looking at it from the outside , its just another low pop server. Joinuo and top xxx websites have a shitload of them. People like me, even if I did play it would just be a beta practice test for an corps relaunch, because I KNOW there's gonna be a shitload of players come launch day and that's just more enticing.

I would play on your server if you had the hype because I don't really want a custom server like uo forever or uoac with their fucking plants and accelerated skill gains, paladins and who knows what else after 2 years of bloated neon shit.

<3