Up and coming competitive game to look forward to?

turbo

Molten Core Raider
Well thanks, appreciate the primarly constructive feedback. Fuckers got me starting to rethink the LoL or DOTA2 line of thought. Maybe I'll give DOTA2 a try and see which one is more my style. I like the esport aspect; it provides a venue to learn more and be a fan while you are progressing to get to the top. I'm really enjoying the card genre but I just know thats going to fizzle as it is too limited in the variety of skills/challenges it presents. Fighting games are fun but lack that meta game and high strategical aspects of a LOL etc. I'll probably pick one of them to help refine my skills to be prepared for the "next big" thing I guess. I just rather be a person that blazes the path so to speak then follow the road that already has worn out tracks. My best experiences involve MMO releases and pushing to be the first to figure shit out and help define what the benchmark really is.

I'm sure some of you long term competitive MMO players can relate; jumping into a game that has been around for a year or 2 just doesn't have that new fresh car smell! I'll go start researching DOTA2 and dust off my Caitlyn!

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
Couple questions: DOTA2 or LoL; Which has a higher playerbase on this board? I'd like to have a game to join where I can pick people's brain.

Competitive FPS market: is it all CoD/Battlefield?

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
Couple questions: DOTA2 or LoL; Which has a higher playerbase on this board? I'd like to have a game to join where I can pick people's brain.

All I can say is there is 150 people in the dota rerolled guild, of all skill levels, I highly recommend dota 2 if your goal is competitive. League has a very long hero accumulation process as well as masteries/runes/account levels so if those kind of things interest you as progress then league offers that. Dota 2 doesn't have its heroes gated like league, the moment you start playing dota you're playing the exact same game as the pro's.

Game is always fresh in Dota, I think you (edit: the thread starter) have a huge misconception of just how hard it is to be great at Dota or LoL.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>

On this board alone, I'd say the populations might be similar, maybe more lurkers on LoL just because LoL has a fuckton more players overall. Not sure if they ever took their head out of their asses and added better client community thing in LoL but dota has a very easy to use guild system with chat and shit, so it's easy to find out who's online and find people to play with, I think. I would probably try both games for a bit to find out which one you like, as that's the more important aspect, while the same genre, they're very different in their philosophies and as such appeal to different people.

As for FPS, CS:GO has a medium competitive scene I believe, old CS still does too. Mostly CoD/BF nowadays though for sure.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I've always enjoyed SC1/Broodwar/SC2 as far as competition goes. There's no reward (except rank, avatars, etc), but the skill level required to play competitively is nuts.

Cyni

Lord Nagafen Raider
They JUST added Ranked Matchmaking in Dota2 as well like two days ago , so you just need to play your 150 games to unlock it (about the time it'll take you to get competent enough to actually compete)... And you won't be behind any "curve" at all.

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
The one kind of game I have never tried is MOBA's, if its easy to jump into I might give it a try as well.

MMOs 4 life here though

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
The one kind of game I have never tried is MOBA's, if its easy to jump into I might give it a try as well.

MMOs 4 life here though
They're not. You need to learn all the heroes and all their skills. Then you need to learn all the items. Then you need to learn the various strategies. Then you need to learn the various builds per hero in both skill and item. Then you need to watch your team not execute any of it.

Sidian

Lord Nagafen Raider
Starcraft 2 for RTS.
Counter Strike Global Offensive for FPS.
League of Legends for MOBA.

Starcraft & Counter Strike I have been playing on and off again for a good 10+ years.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
They're not. You need to learn all the heroes and all their skills. Then you need to learn all the items. Then you need to learn the various strategies. Then you need to learn the various builds per hero in both skill and item. Then you need to watch your team not execute any of it.
Ha!

I tried to get into DoTA2 but community was so shitty and I needed like 300 hours played to consider myself competent.

turbo

Molten Core Raider
Krass can't remember; you were playing FFXIV last I remember weren't you? I finally gave in and sold my 2 accounts to prevent a relapse. I was dumb and passed u p $1k for them when I first quit thinking...maybe I'll want to come back. Had the best geared mage on the server with max crafting and killed on the crafting market. Somehow never got flagged when they suspended all the accounts for over 8M gil or whatever. Sometimes I miss it as raiding was pretty tightly tuned and not a cake walk for the average player but anytime I have any relapse I just think about 2.5 second GCD (2 boxed a warrior and blm; casting was fine on mage but warrior with 2.5 gcd made me want to punch babies)

Just finished downloading DOTA2 and doing the tutorial. I had played LOL abit while I was waiting for FFXIV so I have at least a small bench mark between the games. I think this will be a good mix of staying power without quite the MMO addiction. Having a forced end of game vs....fuck one more attempt on raid boss because idiot A stood 2 cm off his designated spot and ae'd the raid, is probably good for the life balance. I don't mind sticking alot of hours into learning and perfecting skills, no different then sports so thats not an issue. Just need to have tighter controlled start/stopping points for my sanity and life balance.

Quick question for the DOTA experts, my limited in time in LOL i was drawn to ranged ADC like cait. It was a mixed bag because if you fucked up early while trying to learn the game you screwed your team hardcore if the other team had a good ADC. I usually like being the prime time class/position with alot of the pressure but alot of the glory/accountability in most games but since I'll be a noob for a long time coming is a smarter to maybe start more of a support type character? If so any good recommendations? I know I have to learn everyone eventually and all types of roles but to start maybe it would be better to support and not start bad habits out the gate. Sorry just decided to play this tonight and haven't researched anything, going to go through the tutorial and do my research when I have more time friday night but if anyone has any stellar insight you feel free to give ole turbo an early xmas present.

(ps - make it offical, i think i'm done with MMO's until Vanguard 2: "The vision revisioned" is developed. I almost dusted off my sorc and bloodmage duo box last week but resisted)

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Welcome to Dota, You Suck | Purge Gamers

This is the goto guide for new players. Compared to LoL, Dota has ridiculously strong skills that cost a lot of mana and almost no regeneration unless you burn through consumables, so it's crucial to know when to use them. You are probably looking at some kind of carry, however I would advise playing a support firsst, like lich, crystal maiden or venomancer, because if you have bad lanes or don't farm enough at the start, you will have very hard time catching up. Bot games are so-so, they like to group up as 5 and push your towers which is really annoying if you have a ganking hero. Best thing would be to ask to be added to the Rerolled guild, or try to catch someone in the FoH channel ingame.