Upcoming SF&F Adaptations (or future disappointment)

Cybsled

It wasn't bad, but I can't help but feel that some stuff ended up on the cutting room floor. For instance, the show asks the question "Why do they look like our version of demons?", then they never follow-up, when the book answers it at the end (because even some pre-Overlord humans had some latent psychic ability, which is why we were able to evolve into the full TK/psychic link stuff at the end).

Only thing that was kind of dumb was the "we sterilized you..oops, sorry, it is killing you!" shit, then he claims they can only make one Complete Heal injector? I guess he couldn't get another one from his planet, since it would take 40 yrs and it would be too late by then, but still you would figure they could have used something less fatal to prevent him from getting his wife pregnant.

iannis

Musty Nester
Hrm. I loved the book. I basically love everything that Clarke wrote by himself except the final Odessey, and I like most of the stuff that he stamped his name to/co-authored. I didn't care very much forThe Songs of Distant Earth, but that's only a matter of arbitrary taste. I would have enjoyed it quite a bit in a slightly different setting.

I'll have to give the miniseries a go. That they kept the aliens looking like demons is a good omen. That was kind of important. And that they kept the 50's vibe it is also important. If you had to show people one thing which characterized the 50's you'd probably show them a pinup calendar. If you had to show them two things, it would probably be a pinup calendar and childhoods end.

Cybsled

The show stayed more or less fairly close to the books, although they obvious accelerated the timetable involved on Earth (not counting the bit at the end). It makes sense for a TV show, since you can keep the same actors. I also thought it made sense in terms of the scientist in that he develops his curiosity in the subject before the Overlords arrive and maintains that through the present vs. the book where he really only grew up on Overlord Earth and it makes less sense that he would have kept that interest since that type of interest was being suppressed.