Upcoming SF&F Adaptations (or future disappointment)

Juvarisx

Florida
Ready Player One will have Speilberg as a director so it is guaranteed decent, probably good maybe great.

Malkav

French Madman
Wait, there is a Kingkiller Chronicles show in the work?

Do we expect the third season before Rothfuss can finish his motherfucking third book?

Sterling

El Presidente
Fortunately, the Milk being directed by Edgar Wright is very interesting. The fact that Depp will be the lead is much less so.

khorum

Murder Apologist
Booooo Childhood's End is just gonna be a 3-episode miniseries instead of a full season now.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I haven't read the book, but I really dug it. It was incredibly well done I thought. Really looking forward to the rest.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Wait, there is a Kingkiller Chronicles show in the work?

Do we expect the third season before Rothfuss can finish his motherfucking third book?
There is a Kingkiller Chronicles everything in the work. I wish that shit went to Sanderson tbh, an author that actually writes.

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
Oh shit, just clicked the link in the OP, they're planing to make Gateway by Pohl ? it's one of my favorite books.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Oh shit, just clicked the link in the OP, they're planing to make Gateway by Pohl ? it's one of my favorite books.
It's optioned, meaning they still need to figure out if they can really have a good script that works.

Once Eick has finished a script, then they have to convince SyFy to order at least a pilot. Then the pilot and projected budget has to convince the network execs to order the series. A lot of optioned books stop at those two steps (and most of the time, the pilot doesn't make it to the screen; sometimes if you're lucky, it's recut into a TV movie if it can stand on its own).

Jait

Molten Core Raider
This and The Stainless Steel Rat are two series that blow my mind that no one has turned bad yet. They are so accessible.

"Heechee" starring Tom Hanks as a man who wins the lottery and takes a trip into a black hole.

"The Steel Aramadillo" starring Vin Diesel as a thief who kicks ass and says no to drugs.

Devlin

Golden Squire
There is a Kingkiller Chronicles everything in the work. I wish that shit went to Sanderson tbh, an author that actually writes.
I don't know of any hard evidence that anything is being made of Rothfuss' stuff. I glanced at a recent AMA he did a couple of weeks ago and nothing at all was mentioned about any adaptations.

He comes across as a bit of a cunt tbh.

"People need to get off my back liking the books I wrote and asking for more. Instead they should watch me playing videogames for charity sat on my fat arse".

To be honest I think he wrote himself into something he doesn't know how to finish. The story is supposed to be a trilogy but there is so much going on after two books of which the surface has barely scratched that it could end up being the literary equivalent to LOST.

Of course he is entitled to sit on his arse and play videogames, but people are by the same token allowed to call him a useless fat prick.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I don't know of any hard evidence that anything is being made of Rothfuss' stuff. I glanced at a recent AMA he did a couple of weeks ago and nothing at all was mentioned about any adaptations.

He comes across as a bit of a cunt tbh.

"People need to get off my back liking the books I wrote and asking for more. Instead they should watch me playing videogames for charity sat on my fat arse".

To be honest I think he wrote himself into something he doesn't know how to finish. The story is supposed to be a trilogy but there is so much going on after two books of which the surface has barely scratched that it could end up being the literary equivalent to LOST.

Of course he is entitled to sit on his arse and play videogames, but people are by the same token allowed to call him a useless fat prick.
I agree with all of this /shrug

The deal was just signed this year iirc (just a few months ago?) with I believe Lionsgate (too lazy too look it up) and is supposed to include all 3 (TV, Movie, Games). Who knows what comes of it though

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Childhoods End has been really good.

But I cheated and read the plot summary for the books.

Cybsled

Ya, it has been a pretty good mini-series. They do seem to be playing up the sinister angle a lot more than the book, though.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
Ya, it has been a pretty good mini-series. They do seem to be playing up the sinister angle a lot more than the book, though.
Herbert, Heinlein and Clark are three guys that are sacred to me. I don't want to shit on the thread, but they seem to be doing what Roddenbery did with his treatment of Earth: Final Conflict. In short, I'm agreeing with you. But the beauty of Clark's novel was the subtle insinuations in society which today requires an even more gentle touch. I'd really love to see a show or movie really go for it and "blow our minds" the way the old men did.

spronk

FPS noob
watched Childhood's end last night, not bad. Not super great, had a huge 50s vibe in almost everything (yes I know the book is from the 50s). If you watch it, and get bored during episode 2, I'd skip forward to the second half of episode 3. In fact I think you could probably just watch episode 1 & 3 and not really miss anything, I think i fell asleep a few times in episode 2. Still, an interesting story that was very well done. Would only recommend to the die hard sci fi fans, probably not something others would enjoy as much.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Yeah I kind of feel the same. I enjoyed it, but it pretty much was one of those stories that comes down to how you feel about the ending. If you hated it, you're going to think most of the rest was shit. I'm kind of in-between on the ending, as I see where he was going with it and the thought-provoking nature of it, but I dunno. I'm not mad I watched it, but I don't know if I can whole-heartedly recommend it to someone that isn't a big sci-fi fan, as you said.