Urban foraging

bigmark268

Vyemm Raider
The park a few blocks from me has 3 massive old chestnut trees in it. I collect like 5 to 10lbs of chestnuts a year from them. I'll see people filling 5gal buckets. I just take a plastic freezer bag lol.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
my girlfriends garden is on this stupid app. which is behind a fence against an alley, fn technology enabled tweeker bums.
What's the address?

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
The park a few blocks from me has 3 massive old chestnut trees in it. I collect like 5 to 10lbs of chestnuts a year from them. I'll see people filling 5gal buckets. I just take a plastic freezer bag lol.
We'll put it on the website man! Don't horde that shit to yourself!

Aamry

Blackwing Lair Raider
Back in my day, this was called dumpster diving.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

chthonic-anemos

bitchute.com/video/EvyOjOORbg5l/
Has anyone gotten into it? Seen some chatter online about it. Kinda intriguing. Seems like a good way to snack.

Pretty cool way to find edibles near you.

Squirrels taste like chicken.

TBT-TheBigToe

Gemcutter
<Gold Donor>
I keep reading this thread title as "Unban foraging" and I originally was confused anyone would ban foraging in WoW and when I realized what it actually said I thought it was another term for "Dumpster diving".

I have not read any of this thread and don't intend to, it's a Foler™ thread!

• 1Seriously?

Rime

<Donor>
I end up running 'hippies' off of my land every few years, trying to look for ginseng in my woodlands.

Had people who would try and harvest my apples and/or lilacs when they were in season... despite private property signs. Now I have fences everywhere, sucks.

McQueen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I found an original Leatherman Super Tool while we were trespassing to get a geocache once. Does that count?

• 1Solidarity

iannis

Musty Nester
This sounds like hippy shit.

I let the neighbors pick blueberries if they want. Don't care. Most years there are way more than I can pick. I generally grab 1-2 bushels to freeze and that's not even half of them. Makes good cobbler.

The birds eat well.

• 1Like

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
And here I was thinking I'd accidentally entered the General section and this was a thread about Liberals finding some new phrase to describe looting by raging mobs of American Inventors.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
I end up running 'hippies' off of my land every few years, trying to look for ginseng in my woodlands.

Had people who would try and harvest my apples and/or lilacs when they were in season... despite private property signs. Now I have fences everywhere, sucks.

Ok farmer.

You don't technically own that land. We all are children of the earth thus we all are responsible for it.

Heard you can find some good watches this way

True

I found an original Leatherman Super Tool while we were trespassing to get a geocache once. Does that count?

Absolutely.

I let the neighbors pick blueberries if they want. Don't care. Most years there are way more than I can pick. I generally grab 1-2 bushels to freeze and that's not even half of them. Makes good cobbler.

The birds eat well.
What's your address big I?

• 2Picard

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Pecans and blackberries are the only things I've "foraged" that I hadn't actually grown myself, and done so only with the property owner's permission if it wasn't public land. There's a massive amount of blackberry bushes at a park near my home.

If you've ever had a pecan tree on your property you almost have to beg folks to pick up all the shit it drops to keep from fucking your grass. Which is a losing battle.

There's not much else I'd trust to eat that was growing wild. Biting into an apple and seeing half a worm would suck. Also, aphids are horrible and consistent on "organic" pesticide free vegetables, even store bought. Especially celery. They're apparently edible, but fuck all that.

• 1Like

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I went to a job interview 5 years ago in Ancortes, WA. We drove out to a raied hill that had a view of the water coming in and were just talking. They had blackberries. I picked a few and started eating them. I didn't need to wash them. Guy had a shit fit OMG eating something growing out in the world that didn't come from a store.

I didn't take the job. Pretty sure I wouldn't fit in.

I've eaten a lot of blackberries and muscadines I've picked up here and there. Pecans I had pecan trees at the house so I used those. I let others pick up the pecans and I get a share. They win and I win, not having to pick up all the pecans. I had tons of them.

Have blueberries now but I'm not a big fan. Dad picks and eats them all. Not that urban.

Caliane

The birds eat well.
I keep meaning to put up a sign for that.

I have been swapping my gardens over to all either "edible" and/or native plants. Have 7 blueberry, 2 kinds of rhubarb, about 300ft of strawberries, and ton of raspberry. 4 kinds of mint. grape. 2 large apple trees were on the property when I bought it. pretty sure one is cortland, one is mcintosh, but im not certain. I planted a honeycrisp a year ago. and a barlett pear. that pear produced AMAZING fruit last year. Have a couple Hickory trees as well.
Pumpkins, decogourds, and sunflower are generally pretty consistent at re-seeding themselves yearly.

I also do tomatos, cucs, greenbeans, peppers, basil yearly. Watermelon from when I buy store watermelon, and throw out the rinds/seeds. haha.

I don't even eat the tomatos. I just give them away. (along with the overkill on everything else) Past years, I would put out a sign and "free". This last year, I put out the sign, "free, donations welcome" with a jar.
I made 75$ (i mean, not including cost, which time, fert, water, and seedlings cost more then that really)

Strawberrys/blueberrys/raspberry best left on the plant though. I need a sign saying, come get some.

Hickory is neat, cuase you can't really buy it. its a unique flavored nut. but getting at the meat is a pita, so no one really does it commercially. need your own, and a pair of pliers or a hammer.

All the state forests of CT, RI, MA are just littered with wild blueberry.

Last edited:
  • 1Like