Urtuk: The Desolation (Band of Darkest Dungeon Brothers)

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Flipping an enemy with warmonk into an assassin trap that is surrounded by the rest of your units is real nutty for just making something not alive anymore. I get real sad when I forget to check enemy traits beforehand only to learn that they are immune to movement skills after the fact.
The footman is really good for that type of stuff too. He has that dash/push thing. I’ve used it for everything from pushing into death traps, pushing into assassin traps, setting up critical flanks, etc. He also grabs people when they try to leave his zone of control. He’s been one of my most useful units. He’s so mobile with that dash he gets around the field much better than most units.

The more I play the more I like this game. Discovering uses like that on a unit you don’t really like at first has made me think a lot more strategically in how you set people up to just destroy the field. Is there a better way to get permanent units that don’t charge a fee? I’d like to replace my berserker with a bloodknight but haven’t found any yet. I’d like to get a monk too, my first one died permanently. Have just been using a second crossbow dude instead. Now that I’m learning setups better I’d like to have a fuller roster to be more flexible depending on the battlefield.

Maybe I’ll just start over, but it’s hard to quit what you’ve already got going.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I’m ok with them being random, that’s cool. I just don’t like it doesn’t tell you which random one they rolled. So you have to go through every so often and equip one to every person, swapping out their mutators, trying to figure out wth it evolves. It should just tell you which trait it randomly rolled instead.

Also yeah the bloodknight seems pretty powerful. The guys with a lot of movement and enemy movement and terrain manipulation seem much better than those without. Like the hammer guy just seems fucking useless to me. The berserker a close second. I just send all those guys on missions unless I need them while my main dudes heal up.

I didn’t care for the assassin at first until I figured out waiting is a viable playstyle. So I started creating choke points loading the area up with his target traps. Enemies walk into it then just get fucking unloaded on and die before they even get to hit me. If you can do a choke point with 2-3 melee around one hex and a couple ranged guys backing it up, lol they all just die stepping on traps over and over.
Hmmm. It lets me know which mutator it upgraded once it finishes. It'll only upgrade mutators that have "levels".

Yeah, movement and positioning are key. That's why figuring out that Light Footed lets you act after swapping(thanks to this thread) is such an epiphany. Unless their innate/"learned" traits are vastly different, I really don't understand the point of the hammer guy either. The Warmonk gets a mace as well, so the stun/slow advantage is negated. Plus, the Warmonk gets flip, which is awesome, but I feel like his jump ability is even better. It allows for so many plays, especially on ranged units (even better if you have the "engage" mutator). I haven't used a berserker yet, so I'm not sure on that one. I wish the game would show you all the "innate" traits each class gets. I'm fine with them leaving shit like poison resistance, brothers in arms, etc. as "discoverable" traits, but I wish the class shit would show all potential unlocks.

As far as earning other characters (I have a few swampers in my party now), I usually have a lot of my "idle" characters scout, and then I hit up places that indicate somebody will join you if you save them. A lot of "monsters" mention that they'd rather fight for you, if you were to win. So, as long as you don't kill them, they'll join you once you kill everything else. Same with a lot of townspeople joining you, offering better rewards, etc. I spent the entire first level not realizing each encounter has "objectives" and just kinda blew through any dialogue - sorta regret that.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Hmmm. It lets me know which mutator it upgraded once it finishes. It'll only upgrade mutators that have "levels".

Yeah, movement and positioning are key. That's why figuring out that Light Footed lets you act after swapping(thanks to this thread) is such an epiphany. Unless their innate/"learned" traits are vastly different, I really don't understand the point of the hammer guy either. The Warmonk gets a mace as well, so the stun/slow advantage is negated. Plus, the Warmonk gets flip, which is awesome, but I feel like his jump ability is even better. It allows for so many plays, especially on ranged units (even better if you have the "engage" mutator). I haven't used a berserker yet, so I'm not sure on that one. I wish the game would show you all the "innate" traits each class gets. I'm fine with them leaving shit like poison resistance, brothers in arms, etc. as "discoverable" traits, but I wish the class shit would show all potential unlocks.

As far as earning other characters (I have a few swampers in my party now), I usually have a lot of my "idle" characters scout, and then I hit up places that indicate somebody will join you if you save them. A lot of "monsters" mention that they'd rather fight for you, if you were to win. So, as long as you don't kill them, they'll join you once you kill everything else. Same with a lot of townspeople joining you, offering better rewards, etc. I spent the entire first level not realizing each encounter has "objectives" and just kinda blew through any dialogue - sorta regret that.
The berserker isn’t as bad as the hammer guy, because his traits make him meaner, hits multiple times, healing on hits, etc. Agree I wish you could see the traits, it’s difficult to know if a person is going to be worth a shit or not. Hammer guy might be great later but I can’t tell because he’s so worthless right now I’ll never get him leveled up. He’s permanent scavenger mode for me.

I’ve got a few characters from the encounters, just no one really useful yet. I got a vampire flail dude I eventually butchered when I was in need of blood. A big monster rat thing, and a couple useless armorsmith and weaponsmith guys.

velk

Trakanon Raider
This game is pretty fun. Played through as the humans, doing a run as the swamp people at the moment. The swamp marauders are completely absurd tanks despite having no armor, and their stacking %health bleeds explode big hp stuff surprisingly quickly.

Hammers in general aren't much use on low difficulties, but they are very strong against stuff you can't just blow away in a few hits. The -speed they do stacks, and once base speed ( starts off equal to their agi ) drops below 20% they get slowed, and take auto-crits, and once it hits zero they are stunned. This means they hammer guy goes again before they do, and pushes their speed back down to stunned again and they never get to move.

Not as sexy as one-shotting uber elites with mansplitter though - bounty hunter axeman with murdering sense is definitely the MVP of the dps leagues. I pretty much oneshot one of the bosses with a 16k hit ( strong vs brutes, strong vs poison, legendary mithril axe ). Didn't even have any dps mutators equipped other than murdering sense ( leeching crits on this guy to heal from 1hp to full every time he attacks hah ).