Valheim - Viking Survival Game (Early Access)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Cinge

Vyemm Raider
Is it worth building right near the start(basically I am right by the 5 stonhedge things, where munin started the tutorial)? Or should I treat it like conan exiles, where you built a tiny functional hut near the start, but didn't really build your main base until later, usually near the more valuable materials.

McFly

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Is it worth building right near the start(basically I am right by the 5 stonhedge things, where munin started the tutorial)? Or should I treat it like conan exiles, where you built a tiny functional hut near the start, but didn't really build your main base until later, usually near the more valuable materials.
You're going to definitely be building many small bases until you find a nice spot. Personally I would find a nice open, green area on the coast line somewhere. 😊

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
It's a good spot to have a nice little hut to come back to to drop a portal once you get those. Each boss is hung from those stones, so a quick way back is nice.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
we didn't prepare blunt weapons for the bonemass, so our first try basically just cost us a shitload of Mead and arrows. Gonna try again later.

In unrelated news, I've fortified our swamp / mountain base now so we're more than ready to progress

1613552721002.png

btw... do you guys have a level 5 workbench on the server yet?

Last edited:
  • 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
we didn't prepare blunt weapons for the bonemass, so our first try basically just cost us a shitload of Mead and arrows. Gonna try again later.

In unrelated news, I've fortified our swamp / mountain base now so we're more than ready to progress

View attachment 335622

You're on the one McFly rented, right? I think he upgraded it to lvl 5 last night.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>

View attachment 335622

Yeah, with blunt weapons, medium healing and poison resist he went from stupid hard to stupid easy. Killed him twice last night to get everyone his drop.

McFly

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Yes, upgrade the Forge and Workbench to level 5 last night. I'm in the process of preparing for Bonemass. But I'm not in any rush as we're finding that our little area — where we're all building is getting harder to defend. Troll hordes, Draugr and Skeleton armies arising from the swamp, it's all pretty tough. So I'm creating a better defensive perimeter around my base for now. (Stone walls, stick barricades etc). It's all so much fun. 😊

Mures

Blackwing Lair Raider
Started playing this the other day, definitely been fun the play around in. Controls are really smooth, building is super simple. The possibilities are endless in what they can continue to add to the game.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
There any way to reliably find the merchant guy? I've got like 4k coins built up and still never seen him anywhere.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
1613586139134.png

wow that Longship is FAST. That thing aint catching us.

1613586546029.png

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Confused by repair button, is there anyway to see the cost of that repair and repair a specific item or I just spam that button whenever I'm at work bench?

Also it won't let me build fire in my house but it goes out if it rains outside stopping me from being able to sleep. Does my house just need to be bigger maybe?

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Spam it. No cost to repair.

Can't build a campfire on the floor, need to remove the floor tile. Put a stilted roof tile above it so the smoke can escape (seen here in the corner of my house)

Edit: a couple more photos.

1613592303417.png

1613592863804.png
1613592947705.png

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Entered a meadows. Thought I was safe, found a full village, not just scattered buildings. Large structures, not just the small houses. Heard buzzing from them, thought bees....

Nope. Every house filled with with Draugr and spawners. And Bees.

Died.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I still don't understand the popularity of this.

I get that it launched relatively bug-free, has a great price, and runs on a potato. However, it really doesn't do anything different than other survival games already on the market - and in some cases does less. I'm just failing to understand why this game is so huge. It isn't like they reinvented the wheel or anything. Is it just the fact that there's a somewhat linear progression system and people like the slightly linear aspect? I seriously just don't understand the "hook".

• 1Moron
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>

I get that it launched relatively bug-free, has a great price, and runs on a potato. However, it really doesn't do anything different than other survival games already on the market - and in some cases does less. I'm just failing to understand why this game is so huge. It isn't like they reinvented the wheel or anything. Is it just the fact that there's a somewhat linear progression system and people like the slightly linear aspect? I seriously just don't understand the "hook".
Me either....kinda. But I like it.

I really liked Conan Exiles too because it just felt like a big sandbox full of farming/grinding/building. Basically 2 things that game companies have been trying to avoid for years, but a lot of us like that stuff. I don't like most story driven games that are on rails.

Not really sure how to describe it. I think it's easier to accept something like this for what it is, as opposed to games like Borderlands (where I'm annoyed AF about the voice acting) or Anthem (where the cities just feel hollow and dead). Maybe it's just because simple games like this aren't infuriating when you run into something broken or something that works silly as fuck (like the repair function). It's expected.

Farming & building is a blast. Fined me a game that looks like Red Dead Redemption and lets me actually build something wherever I want and I'll be over it. But paying "15 beetle balls to construct the tent exactly where the tent goes" isn't appealing and that's normally what you get in the AAA games.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>

Vikings.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Xerge

<Donor>

The building/world changing system is miles ahead of Ark and Exiles. Two of the major survivals ppl rent servers for. So yes, they did reinvent the wheel. If these guys manage to do an NPC system with AI so villages and towns are alive and not dead stiff like Exiles, this game wins hands down.

You could put 1000 hours into a Conan Exiles town with thralls everywhere, however with no custom pathing, emoting, personalities, it's lifeless trash.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
bitch of the day: workbench build range should be double or triple what it is currently. Or am I doing it wrong having to build multiple to build my larger base??

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users