Valheim - Viking Survival Game (Early Access)

Varia Vespasa

Vyemm Raider
Go sailing around the various coastlines till you find swamp- be aware that swamps that are thin tend to not have any crypts in them, so look for ones that are a bit deeper. Similarly, thin mountians tend to have no obsidian or silver.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Make sure you bring picks with you, copper pick and your antler pick. Usually, you can do a drive by of a swamp and if its not foggy - see if its got a crypt in it. But dont be me and my g/f - the first crypt we found on the boat, I was paying attention to how to park at the crypt and my g/f is saying A SLIME A SLIME and Im like, yep.. its the swamp - next thing I know she says IM DEAD fk! I turn around and theres a fkn slime ON THE BOAT.

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This was my solo game and I moved it up to a server so the kids could join in. We've killed the first two bosses and now I'm not positive what should be next. We have honey, brewing, forge, carts, etc. and I haven't gotten anything new in a while. I found a mountain and picked off a couple of wolves but only seem to be able to make rugs at this point. I've been trying not to read spoilers...

View attachment 341562

It's not a spoiler, you forgot to read the item description of the loot from the Elder boss.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Finally found a Modor spawn marker and set up shop near the Modor spawn. I'm maxed out and hard as fuck.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Cynical

Canuckistani Terrorist
Go sailing around the various coastlines till you find swamp- be aware that swamps that are thin tend to not have any crypts in them, so look for ones that are a bit deeper. Similarly, thin mountians tend to have no obsidian or silver.
Yeah I was right next to a big swamp I didn't see on my original hunt, the others were long thin stretches long coast that didn't have a single crypt. The big one has a shitload, I don't think I'll ever need to clear them all.

Did a bunch of exploring, found a sweet spot right out on ocean with an island roughly the size of a hut, with some rocks/terrain sticking out of the water around it. Oddly that little chunk is considered forest biome. I have 4 large islands surrounding it, and 2 for sure have huge biomes for swamp/mountain/plains/forest. 1 of those is larger than starter island for sure. Since I've done the hard work of figuring out building over water, I'm gonna build a waterwold type atoll, or just a massive longship. Figure I can expand the terrain for crops I need too.

Would have explored more, but a swarm of leeches chased me into another swarm, then some bloody draugr swam out to say hello too.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Daidraco

Are there seeds available that put the land masses as continents and not just large/small Islands?

• 1Like

Cynical

Canuckistani Terrorist
If anyone playing solo, I'm still the only one on my server. Welcome to join, and I'd be happy to copy the world save whenever you want. PM me for IP and password. I don't care about your personality on the forum, if you can put that shit aside for gaming, all are welcome. Just PM me for IP and pass, I'd put it up on discord, but I don't have access. It's a gportal west server, ping around 40-50ms, and server seems stable, I do a daily backup, no mods currently.

Just getting portals & a proper iron camp setup, then later or tomorrow I'm gonna start my new main base. I have a lvl 7 forge ect if you have already progressed, and need a spot to repair until you get situated. I restarted my world after the troll incident, so getting iron out of crypts, but I haven't killed 2nd boss again, so no newbie rape, just dwarf raids still.

How does it work for other players? Can they dismantle/build on your existing structures, and can access chests? Wondering if I need to build a bunch of runestones just in case.

My gate system seems to work great for raids so far, I have my inner gate, then a sliver of terrain outside gate, then a trench with a bridge over it, 2nd gate on my side of trench. Mobs all funnel into bridge and attack gate, can either just safely snipe them from ledge, or just stick some fires outside gate for some easy automatic killing, collect loot when needed.

Cynical

Canuckistani Terrorist
I like the feel of this game far more than Conan, in conan once I had a simple well planned base, I was invincible at home, and with some easy progression, everything died easily. I constantly still have to run & gun with greydwarves in full iron, because you get large swarms that keep coming at you, and I actually kinda feel like a viking, going out to pillage various biomes in a ship, eventually establishing outposts simply to keep building supply chain going.

I do miss thralls though, it would be awesome if I could have npc's planting/harvesting for one.

I'd love to get a server going with teams, where we have a gentlemans agreement to do some kind of organized CTF PVP raids on bases on opposing sides of map or some idea like that. Losers have to plant fields and other chores for an hour or some shit, or the flag is carts full of rare resources/loot.

Cynical

Canuckistani Terrorist
You aren't a true Viking until you have discovered the joys of cart sledding.
sledding1.jpg

Gonna build a proper bobcart track in near future. Perhaps in mountain biome. edit: hmm mass transit system...?

This is Valheim.

• 1Like

Jox

Molten Core Raider
I like the feel of this game far more than Conan, in conan once I had a simple well planned base, I was invincible at home, and with some easy progression, everything died easily. I constantly still have to run & gun with greydwarves in full iron, because you get large swarms that keep coming at you, and I actually kinda feel like a viking, going out to pillage various biomes in a ship, eventually establishing outposts simply to keep building supply chain going.

I do miss thralls though, it would be awesome if I could have npc's planting/harvesting for one.

I'd love to get a server going with teams, where we have a gentlemans agreement to do some kind of organized CTF PVP raids on bases on opposing sides of map or some idea like that. Losers have to plant fields and other chores for an hour or some shit, or the flag is carts full of rare resources/loot.

Stagbreaker which you can make pretty early and other two handed hammers will simply delete any army of greydwarves.

• 1Like

Cynical

Canuckistani Terrorist
Stagbreaker which you can make pretty early and other two handed hammers will simply delete any army of greydwarves.
Didn't even think to look at that, just had tools + sword/board & a bow. Very useful.

Daidraco

My main character can 2 shot Trolls at this point, so you just need better gear.

I'd join your server C Cynical if I still had stuff to do. We've cleared all the bosses even without padded armor. I think at this point, this game will hit a revival once they release a new PVE patch that isnt related to buildings. Building shit is cool, but I had more fun in the PVE mind-set.

• 2Like

Cynical

Canuckistani Terrorist
My main character can 2 shot Trolls at this point, so you just need better gear.

I'd join your server C Cynical if I still had stuff to do. We've cleared all the bosses even without padded armor. I think at this point, this game will hit a revival once they release a new PVE patch that isnt related to buildings. Building shit is cool, but I had more fun in the PVE mind-set.
Your loss, I have a Superslide:
superslide1.jpg

Actually it's my resource chute prototype. Carts work fine, but when you toss a stack of whatever item, it slides straight all the way down, as long as you use the 45 degree. 100% doable with regular wood and liberal use of the hoe, I went the fast way with core wood. Fun but deadly to ride a cart down it too, need more water at bottom, awesome Jackass moment.

This the kinda shit I can play with all day.

• 4Like
  • 2Worf
Reactions: 5 users

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
I don't know if I'm a fan of how mobs at a higher tier can just one shot you, even through a shield. It feels kind of rock/paper/scissors in how you have to go through the tiers linearly, though to be fair I can see how being able to jump tiers would be bad in its own way.

What I do like in balance to this, is that you really only lose some skills (not sure how much?) and the time spent to get your corpse. Beyond the annoyance, I guess, I've always been able to get my corpses back.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
you lose 5%, and that's quite a lot in the higher skill areas.

But what mobs can oneshot you through what shield? Only Fagling berserkers come to mind, if at all.

• 2Like