Valheim - Viking Survival Game (Early Access)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
We downed the last boss day before yesterday. The fight looks metal as fuck but it's way too easy. And now there's basically nothing left to discover, which is a letdown. Hopefully they get hot on that new content, I really like this game and I never like games.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I came back for a bit. but really am just struggling to like this.

killed elder, then went searching for swamps. east, north, east, north, south on foot for days, nothing. Hopped on a boat and went sailing. found some eventually.. put up a basecamp/teleport, and spent some time exploring it. no dungeon. packed up, and went sailing again. found one quickly this time at least. set up another base camp. and explored it. a Dungeon. good. spend days mining/hauling the iron out. a good haul. like 100-120ish.. sail it back... and craft like 1 item before running out. (exaggeration, was actually an axe, forge upgrades, and room for 1 more iirc. need to decide pick, bow, or armor)
check online, going to need 1200 iron to build 1 of everything that uses iron.. sigh.. I did see another swamp while sailing the iron back. but damn this game feels more like a chore more often then it should.
A bad seed i think can make or break the fun a bit imo. Don't be scared to make new worlds. There's a giant single continent seed posted a bit back.

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>

killed elder, then went searching for swamps. east, north, east, north, south on foot for days, nothing. Hopped on a boat and went sailing. found some eventually.. put up a basecamp/teleport, and spent some time exploring it. no dungeon. packed up, and went sailing again. found one quickly this time at least. set up another base camp. and explored it. a Dungeon. good. spend days mining/hauling the iron out. a good haul. like 100-120ish.. sail it back... and craft like 1 item before running out. (exaggeration, was actually an axe, forge upgrades, and room for 1 more iirc. need to decide pick, bow, or armor)
check online, going to need 1200 iron to build 1 of everything that uses iron.. sigh.. I did see another swamp while sailing the iron back. but damn this game feels more like a chore more often then it should.
What's more, you can use this handy tool to generate your seeds map with various selectable /locs which can help make the long game a lot less daunting.
Valheim-map.world

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Does a "bad seed" actually exist? I've played on four different servers so far and I've discovered huge amounts of both iron and silver in every single one of them. All within reasonable distance from the center.

I think the first thing you need to do with your first bronze is to sail around your island and find the good spots. Don't explore on foot.

• 1Truth!
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
They only have one programmer working on this game?
Dude... I read that too and was like WTF!?.

"Our programmer has since launch worked hard (and still is) on high priority bugs and issues that have been reported by you players..."

El oh el for real. I'm boggled.

Heriotze

<Gold Donor>

Geography plays big into whether a swamp is going to have crypts in it. From what I've seen you need a swamp with a decent amount of actual landmass and the only landmass that really counts is the swamp area that isn't reaching out into the coastline and touching ocean. When you sail by a swamp you can see the coastline disappear on the map so instead of being <biome> -> <biome coast> -> <ocean> a swamp grows out into that coastline area and it's just <swamp> -> <ocean>. The part of the swamp touching ocean doesn't seem to count as area that a crypt can spawn, or at least it's incredibly rare if it does. So if you find a swamp and the entire landmass is bordering ocean it's probably a good bet that it's going to be a dud.

However, if you find a swamp and a considerable portion of its landmass is touching other biomes or more swamp then you seem to have a greater chance of finding clusters of crypts.

The thin swamps seem to just be there to spawn leeches and blobs and draughr archers and to kill rafts and you. Swamps that take up as much area, minus coastline, as any other biome are the places where underground iron and crypts will usually show up.

Dandai

Lesco Brandon
<Gold Donor>
Dude... I read that too and was like WTF!?.

"Our programmer has since launch worked hard (and still is) on high priority bugs and issues that have been reported by you players..."

El oh el for real. I'm boggled.
To be fair, in my experience development tools are made simple enough that they are more akin to scripting than programming and can be utilized by designers with no programming expertise. So it’s not like there’s one guy doing all the work with four “idea guys” and supervisors.

I mean there could be, but I doubt it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So they're making the game and the real programmer is fixing all their bugs they can't fix themselves because they are literally script kiddies?

Dandai

Lesco Brandon
<Gold Donor>
So they're making the game and the real programmer is fixing all their bugs they can't fix themselves because they are literally script kiddies?
Given that they said singular “programmer”, that is my hot take on their team composition, yes.

Edit: for example, I can debug the shit out of scripts and NPC interactions behaving in unexpected ways, but I wouldn’t even know where to begin if I was tasked with debugging “network issues.”

• 1Like

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Its a Statue. Some bitch holding out her hand from what I can tell and the Crow guy just sittin' on top with an exclamation mark. Statue probably has some offering type component that gives you a buff and thats why crow man is there. Hopefully they hear loud and clear about the chest full of trophies that everyone has. I made an entire room to store dead "things' basically.
Does a "bad seed" actually exist? I've played on four different servers so far and I've discovered huge amounts of both iron and silver in every single one of them. All within reasonable distance from the center.

I think the first thing you need to do with your first bronze is to sail around your island and find the good spots. Don't explore on foot.
Someone posted this story on reddit about them and their friends starting a new seed. They named the seed something stupid instead of an actual seed name. They finally said f'k it and uncovered the map cause they were having such a difficult time. I tried to find it, but it basically looks like an asteroid hit the planet and islands are long and skinny and radiate outwards away from the central meadows spawn point. It cleared up after a few islands, but it was either sail really high north, then really far south etc. past every island that was only a hop and skip wide. Looked absolutely painful.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Given that they said singular “programmer”, that is my hot take on their team composition, yes.

Edit: for example, I can debug the shit out of scripts and NPC interactions behaving in unexpected ways, but I wouldn’t even know where to begin if I was tasked with debugging “network issues.”
To me, that gives the game all that much more charm. Knowing as simple as it is, that I still really enjoy it. Give some glimmer of hope that we're not all going to be playing Tencent games one day.

• 1Like

Cynical

Canuckistani Terrorist
Taking a break for awhile, don't want to fully burn out before more content.

Opening up my server to anyone here, I did a restart awhile ago, so clean map aside from my 2 bases only 1st boss down last I played, so gentler start for newer characters. Portal near stones takes you to my main island base lvl 7 forge ect, another portal there takes you to a large swamp with lots of crypts. Not 100% complete or safe, be warned. Don't fall in portal moat lol, I never did finish that.

149.255.35.210:30500
pw: cinnamilk21

PM me if any issues. I have world backed up, so feel free to do whatever, I have a rune by forge to keep that as is, boats & other bases: use as needed, even if you lose boats or trample other bases with trolls. Occasionally a 1-2 star troll will spawn on one of my home islands, FYI, why I leave bridge ends unfinished for now. They can spawn other stuff too, just kill to cycle them, I got 2 star boars a couple times from 1 island that is 1/2 meadows.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Killed the last boss on my solo run just now. Just face tanked with max foods, fire pot, and chugging health pots.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Taking a break for awhile, don't want to fully burn out before more content.

Opening up my server to anyone here, I did a restart awhile ago, so clean map aside from my 2 bases only 1st boss down last I played, so gentler start for newer characters. Portal near stones takes you to my main island base lvl 7 forge ect, another portal there takes you to a large swamp with lots of crypts. Not 100% complete or safe, be warned. Don't fall in portal moat lol, I never did finish that.

149.255.35.210:30500
pw: cinnamilk21

PM me if any issues. I have world backed up, so feel free to do whatever, I have a rune by forge to keep that as is, boats & other bases: use as needed, even if you lose boats or trample other bases with trolls. Occasionally a 1-2 star troll will spawn on one of my home islands, FYI, why I leave bridge ends unfinished for now. They can spawn other stuff too, just kill to cycle them, I got 2 star boars a couple times from 1 island that is 1/2 meadows.

1616439593892.png

• 1Like