Valheim - Viking Survival Game (Early Access)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

lost

<Bronze Donator>
I feel kind of the same way, I killed the dragon boss last night and feel like content is going quickly. Guess theres one boss left, I'm owning the planes in my wolf gear which took me a day to get/max out. Bought the game a week ago, lol. Might try to sail to the north or south pole sometime, saw a world map and looked like fire and snow.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I feel kind of the same way, I killed the dragon boss last night and feel like content is going quickly. Guess theres one boss left, I'm owning the planes in my wolf gear which took me a day to get/max out. Bought the game a week ago, lol. Might try to sail to the north or south pole sometime, saw a world map and looked like fire and snow.
I went exploring wayyyy off from where I was at in the center. Found Mistlands, didnt have any NPC's and I was okay with that. Saw Firelands and thought it would be the same. I hopped off the boat to look around, went over a hill and into what appeared to be at least 10-15 Surtlings that roasted my ass. Built another boat, got supplies for a portal and off I went. This time a Serpent killed me half way there. Build another boat, put more shit for a portal and carefully make my way up the coasts to the Firelands. Build a portal where I initially landed, then spent two more deaths trying to get my gear back. I look at the clock when I finally had my corpse and Im back at home and.. its 5am.

Needless to say, exploring is a time commitment that may not be in my favor.

• 1Like

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
lol. that sounds like old EQ to me. I was annoyed boating around for 3 in game days trying to find a last kraken. this mother fucker gave me 40 some chitin. the first one i found gave me a measly 18.

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Everyone doing corpse runs seemingly naked. Shocked as plentiful as resources can be don't take maybe a disposable suit of armor and a weapon. Can drop if your bag is full. Troll suit to sneak to body etc, free pieces of decent food etc.

I certainly learned to make disposable portals as i explore, dump loot at home, deconstruct and continue.

• 1Like

Dandai

Lesco Brandon
<Gold Donor>
Everyone doing corpse runs seemingly naked. Shocked as plentiful as resources can be don't take maybe a disposable suit of armor and a weapon. Can drop if your bag is full. Troll suit to sneak to body etc, free pieces of decent food etc.

I certainly learned to make disposable portals as i explore, dump loot at home, deconstruct and continue.
This tactic made exploration much less painful for me as well. After I made my first iron armor pieces, I went far afield sailing along shorelines to uncover my map. I got overconfident and swarmed by swamp mobs and poisoned to death far, far from home. I used my bronze backup armor set and made a karve... and died halfway there from a deathsquito flying onto the boat with me. I then rinsed and repeated a few times, except these attempts I was naked and using simple rafts.

I finally decided that I either needed to have a plan and set up portals along the way so I didn’t lose ALL travel progress between attempts, or just abandon my stuff and start over.

Setting up an “extra” portal in base and then naming the exploration portal the same name worked like a charm. I even died a couple more times trying to get my original stuff back but it wasn’t at all painful recovering from those deaths thanks to the exploration portal.

Slyminxy

Lord Nagafen Raider
Or maybe it's just that your co-players are more dedicated to mining than you are ;)

Well, that's what you get when you specifically note in the server creation that there's no rush, because we're all working induhviduals, some of the others have kids too. I barely found any time to actually log on, much less do some mining. And by the time i got around to it, I noticed someone ate all the silver. It was gloriously genius with scaffolding and shit. Like industrial mining. I thought to myself "Well, at least the silver isn't going to waste inside the mountain."

nah that's exactly what happened. I mined out the entire mountain. There's even massive scaffolding all over the mountain to make running around easier.

I'll direct anyone that needs silver, I think I'll just skip wolf armor since I upgraded my iron one to max before we did Bonemass. I did upgrade my bow and Frostner+Silver shield to max though. Went on a mining expedition day before yesterday, came back with lovely sum of tin, copper, iron and silver, then went exploring and found another Moder spawn. Oh.. and i met - in a single stormy night - no less than 5 serpents. Unluckily, I was away from shore for all 5 so I couldn't kill any.

Edit: yeah, most of my buddies stopped playing after killing last boss and making a base in Deep North, but this game is really a joy if you can only dedicate an hour-three per day and don't get to log on for a few days. I.e. no rush, the chill course.

Edit2: I had this huge scare of my boat getting killed. There was this spot i found that had this 2x7 square piece of Plains wedged in between black forest and swamp and it kept spawning like a pack (3-7) of goblins and 2 deathsquitoes, so I was totally certain the boat got killed. It was also full of 90 of each ore (Tin, Copper, Iron, Silver + a bunch of Cores). But then after some additional exploring found it down the coast, remembering after that I re-parked it because it had a high chance of being destroyed near the Plains mini-biome.
Phew, that was some sweating and raging "Why isn't there any boxes left after boat gets killed?"

:p

• 1Like

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
1616622655386.png

1616622951156.png

building this so you can save ten seconds maybe the 6 or 8 times you run that way is time well spent.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Slyminxy

Lord Nagafen Raider
I saw it. It was glorious engineering to see :D

I only wondered if it was you or your sister that did it.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
This is the compound a friend is working on.

1616622948237.png

Building on the right is a bar / inn, behind it is storage, and behind that is a graveyard that just has a gallows yolo'd up. Middle plot under construction is going to be our new central portal building, behind that in the back is a shrine. Left side is going to be armory / smithy / 4 small houses for the 4 active players.

1616623032793.png

Out front there's a boat house.

1616623067143.png

Shrine

1616623191437.png

I really like his Bar setup.

• 7Like
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 7 users

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
This is the compound a friend is working on.

View attachment 344099

Building on the right is a bar / inn, behind it is storage, and behind that is a graveyard that just has a gallows yolo'd up. Middle plot under construction is going to be our new central portal building, behind that in the back is a shrine. Left side is going to be armory / smithy / 4 small houses for the 4 active players.

View attachment 344102

Out front there's a boat house.

View attachment 344103

Shrine

View attachment 344105

I really like his Bar setup.
That big bonfire outside

Did you just use an existing one?

Varia Vespasa

Vyemm Raider
This tactic made exploration much less painful for me as well. After I made my first iron armor pieces, I went far afield sailing along shorelines to uncover my map. I got overconfident and swarmed by swamp mobs and poisoned to death far, far from home. I used my bronze backup armor set and made a karve... and died halfway there from a deathsquito flying onto the boat with me. I then rinsed and repeated a few times, except these attempts I was naked and using simple rafts.

I finally decided that I either needed to have a plan and set up portals along the way so I didn’t lose ALL travel progress between attempts, or just abandon my stuff and start over.

Setting up an “extra” portal in base and then naming the exploration portal the same name worked like a charm. I even died a couple more times trying to get my original stuff back but it wasn’t at all painful recovering from those deaths thanks to the exploration portal.
Yup, I wear lvl 1 troll hide when I go sailing etc so I dont really care if I die that much. Exploring I carry a portal kit for getting stuff home or settiing up in interesting places if its a keeper, and if it is I use it to go home and set up a new portal and get another kit to take with me.

Poison cheeze- Fun fact, if you log out while poisoned it strips the poison off you when you log back in, so you can quit out to save yourself if youre about to die from poison.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
That big bonfire outside

Did you just use an existing one?

That's just the standard bonfire you can build w/ a core and a few different types of wood.

Here's another shot from a friend, w/out my ultrawide fisheye. Fire's out, better shot of the gallows, lol. He needs to turn some shit off, I prefer my graphics settings.

1616733604533.png

• 4Like
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 4 users

Brikker

Trump's Staff
I keep wanting to buy and play this even though I've never liked any survival game and I am 100% solo...

• 1Like

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>
I keep wanting to buy and play this even though I've never liked any survival game and I am 100% solo...
I made this mistake. So hooked on solo play. It's a great game. Just stay away from the dev console and you'll easily log 200h of fun.

Found a killer mod @nexus that turns it FPS mode. Highly recommend it to anyone looking for an added layer of immersive depth that isn't game breaking.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Cynical

Canuckistani Terrorist
Only around 1-2GB download, and it's far cheaper than most games of it's type, under 20$ US I think? Even solo it is worth it, all I've done, but I imagine it would be far more fun to have epic fails with others, along with rest of game.

There's plenty of things out there that are popular and shit, this is the exception to that for sure.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Since beating yalguth I've been fading away.

100+ hours
Solo play
10/10 already goty
Worth every penny

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I normally rip stuff before/if I buy it because Im a cheap ass. I did it for this game too cause I feel the same way about 90% of survival games. Next thing I know, Ive dumped 20 hours into it was still hyped to play it when I got home. Found some bugs in that client that I saw were addressed several patches ago when they integrated with Steam - bought the game for my g/f and me after that. When I logged into Valheim through steam, it picked up my ripped character. I thought about moving the save file for my world over, but I just used that "perfect seed" for the world and started over.

Game is pound for pound worth every bit of 20 bucks. I bought Hades the same way and played that game for tons of hours too. Whenever they add the other bosses and biomes in the game and go with the "Retail" version, I honestly think they should raise the price of the game to 30-35.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
9 finished biomes and systems. The ocean needs to shine, fishing from the boat, other tasks etc.
A toggle that spawns only 1 shrine per boss in the world, to demand extreme exploration. (With a restriction on the spawn radius of the discovery plates too from the boss)
a few buddies.

My epic dream I just hope gets realized.

Chapell

Trakanon Raider
Whenever they add the other bosses and biomes in the game and go with the "Retail" version, I honestly think they should raise the price of the game to 30-35.

I think they will raise the price to that range after some content patch. After all Minecraft was 10$ in early stage of devs (100% playable and with stuff to do)

Cynical

Canuckistani Terrorist
I've built tons of crazy shit, and still haven't killed Bonemass.

If anyone planning on doing a more progression type playthrough, or just starting out I'd love to join. Been kinda attached to my creations and server, got bored of that, but I've got the urge for a clean start as long as it's at least a few people. Using my server optional, although I'm all for resetting it to a clean random map, or just uploading yours (it's simple)

If you got kids or something, just give me a heads up, I'm not a savage, although deaths might result in colorful language.