Valkyria Chronicles 4

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Releases on PS4, Xbox, PC and Switch tomorrow. PS4 version unlocks in 25 minutes for me (midnight).

First one was great, and this is close to a carbon copy of it since the reaction to the sequels compared to the original weren't great.

Valkyria Chronicles 4

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Goonsquad Officer
how are these games? i saw the first one and thought that a jrpg set in a ww2ish setting was an interesting change. is it a tactical game? or more of a party JRPG?

cyrusreij

Trakanon Raider
Tactical combat without a grid. Different classes, but that just determines what equipment you use. As it is set in a more "real" setting there are no skills per se. The difference between characters is in their quirks (I can't remember the in game name for it). I.e. some characters have higher accuracy when being near females, or being near a specific partner, or shooting at a specific class.

Story is nothing special, but the artwork and sound was fantastic for the first game, and looks to be replicated for this one. Overall very enjoyable for Valkyria 1, going to play this one when I get out of work tonight.

• 1Like

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
how are these games? i saw the first one and thought that a jrpg set in a ww2ish setting was an interesting change. is it a tactical game? or more of a party JRPG?
I played the shit out of it and then put it down one day ...

Metalhead

Blackwing Lair Raider
Mmmm more like a tactical SRPG? You have individual characters you deploy in each map that are specific classes (scout, tank, shocktrooper, lancer, sniper) that you control during battle. Each turn you have only so many movement points IIRC, so if you have 10 units on the battlefield you may only be able to move 8 of them, or one unit eight times, or four units two times each. I actually liked it a lot. Different characters and classes had different special perks or debuffs they would get under certain situations and the XP you get for completing a level you could use to upgrade classes as a whole instead of individual characters. You buy weapon upgrades and tank upgrades throughout the game and tanks have a inventory similiar to like.. Resident Evil. Different parts take up so many grid spaces and you can customize them with different weapons and treads and bunch of stuff.

I really liked the gameplay of the first VC and will def be getting this one. Story was standard weeboo shit really, but literally everything else in the game made up for it by far. It really felt like a modern Shining Force.

Last edited:

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
They're tactical RPGs. Turn based, you get a certain amount of action points, do the action on your turn for the units, stuff has various numbers like distance you can shoot, ammo, aoe of abilities etc. Plays more like FF Tactics or Disgaeia or some western ones like X-Com than a traditional JRPG. And the 4th one looks like the first one because it's basically 1.5. Engine is slightly better and story is different obviously but it's more of the same, if you liked first one it'd be worth buying, although personally I'm not buying it until it's under 30bucks or so, maybe even 20. I'm not huge on strategy RPGs anyway.

Goonsquad Officer
modern shining force sounds pretty dope. I may see if waifu wants to watch dis game next.

Metalhead

Blackwing Lair Raider
modern shining force sounds pretty dope. I may see if waifu wants to watch dis game next.

The first one is 20 bucks on Steam if you dont want to pay the 60 for the new one just to see how you like it.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Yeah if you haven't played first one you might as well buy that since it's basically the same game minus a few improvements, one class and a different story(which isn't relevant if you haven't cleared either), for a lot less money.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Absolutely agree with Pyros. If you haven't played the series before, get the first one. If you like that, then this one is a new and improved version of that. First one is great and easily worth $20

If you want a completely free test, there is also a demo of this game that I think is still available? The demo is the first 3 missions of the actual game and the save works for the release version, so if you like it and buy it, you can just keep going from the demo save.

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
First one was great, will pick this one up when it no longer costs $60. Should I buy it on PS4 or PC?

Needless

Toe Sucker
I still havent opened my VC3, why in gods name did they release that on the PSP lol. I feel obligated to play it before i pick up 4 as well :\

Metalhead

Blackwing Lair Raider
I dunno about VC 2 and 3 but 4 has been a story of events running simultaneously with VC1.

TBT-TheBigToe

Gemcutter
<Gold Donor>
I bought the first one on pc and was enjoying replaying it, I still hate that they keep shooting and damaging if you drop your controller or something like that but I do really enjoy using guns and tanks a whole lot more.

My back went out so I got this on the PS4 and am digging it, I hate how much I enjoy seeing the characters do things and say things that you would never see anymore in a Western made game. Even cringely tucking stupid immature and asinine things like a person grabbing a chicks ass and then getting punched out.

Fun game, people still talk too much in JRPG’s. We have to go to the place and do the thing because the reasons, yes we got it the first three, four and with much more dramatic posing this iteration, times.

Whidon

Blackwing Lair Raider
late in the game the repeated "destroy the enemy super unit" battles are so badly designed it basically ruined what is otherwise a really fun, great game until that point.

last three mission have been destroy the Super tank, destroy the super tank with valk on field, and finally destroy the valk. Problem is in all of these the enemy super unit will destroy your entire team in 1-2 turns. you have no choice but to bring the most specialized cheese team imaginable and assassinate the boss asap otherwise your gonna lose. If you don't do it 100% right and miss your shot on the boss somehow, or just get some shitty luck you lose anwyays.

before this the enemy super units are strong but fair.

I can't believe they did this.. It's like no one play tested these missions. After braving the first two and then failing with what looked like an ideal/team set up for the "kill the valk" mission. This made me just quit the game.

TBT-TheBigToe

Gemcutter
<Gold Donor>
Just hit my break point with this game. Got a character class up to level 20 ans you get fuck all for it, I would been happy with an alternate uniform even if it was purely cosmetic. Nope, nada.
late in the game the repeated "destroy the enemy super unit" battles are so badly designed it basically ruined what is otherwise a really fun, great game until that point.

last three mission have been destroy the Super tank, destroy the super tank with valk on field, and finally destroy the valk. Problem is in all of these the enemy super unit will destroy your entire team in 1-2 turns. you have no choice but to bring the most specialized cheese team imaginable and assassinate the boss asap otherwise your gonna lose. If you don't do it 100% right and miss your shot on the boss somehow, or just get some shitty luck you lose anwyays.

before this the enemy super units are strong but fair.

I can't believe they did this.. It's like no one play tested these missions. After braving the first two and then failing with what looked like an ideal/team set up for the "kill the valk" mission. This made me just quit the game.

It’s like it becomes a puzzle game, make one misstep, mistake, or decision and it is over. Sometimes turns before you know what the mistake was because the game drops bullshit on you for the sake of bullshit. The last few chapters are bullshit this far, not fun and not strategic. It’s like playing memory at this point.

• 1Like

Harkon

Vyemm Raider
I had no issue doing the last few missions at all but I played the first one to the end and knew the fucking bullshit they were going to bring. Also the APC is key to winning that shit far easier then normally. Cheesing the shit out of the APC and the officer double action ability almost trivializes it.