Vanguard - I don't give a fuck if it's dead, It's still brown as fuck (Download link in 1st post)

Xerge

<Donor>
I remember dungeon crawling as a bard with Tad10 on release. Vanguard 2 on today's tech would be great -- assuming coded decently, customizing songs was just neat and I don't think an MMO since has tried to do a bard or blood mage gameplay.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I remember dungeon crawling as a bard with Tad10 on release. Vanguard 2 on today's tech would be great -- assuming coded decently, customizing songs was just neat and I don't think an MMO since has tried to do a bard or blood mage gameplay.

Bard song customizing was cool while leveling up but once you maxed out and raided there wasn't really anymore customizing. You had a run song, a regen song, a resist song, and attack song and that was about it. DPS was immense but you really just rotated three macro attacks and combat was pretty boring. I was usually in the top 1-3 for personal DPS in the raid, and if you added in the extra damage you gave the group, bards were just king.

The most fun was doing groups and charming really. You had such a short charm that it kept you pretty active rotating targets and recasting charm. I didn't know any other bard players that would do it, man was it a blast with how fast your group could clear compared to not doing it. What sucked was when playing an alt if you didn't have a bard in the group you were clearing so much slower than you were used to it was painful.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lunis

Blackwing Lair Raider
I don't think it was the code per se that caused the hitching. It was more that the unreal 2.5 engine wasn't designed to have art assets that large. We're talking 20gb of art assets in 2006 with an open world & no instances.

• 1Rustled
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
Played a Disciple and played with a paladin was so fun. So original. The one thing I love in the game was that system where you could link characters in a group and it would share xp so you could solo at times when the other guy wasn’t on without out leveling them. The only draw back is we added 2 more then I went on a short deployment and came back max level when I left about 25 levels lower so I missed so much and it kind of ruined the hame
For me

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Game just couldnt recover from the bad press it started with. I never gave it a second thought for years because it was so universally derided. I started playing it not long before it was shut down. I'd rate it in that state above anything else available at the time or now. It hit a pretty sweet spot between WoW and EQ.

Wasn't even bad press; if I remember right it had one of those massive preorder statuses for a minute. It's that it literally shipped with no content for 40+ levels and lots of unfinished areas and gamebreaking bugs. Like it could not have been more obvious that it was pushed out the door incomplete without proper QA done.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Just in case anyone was confused-- without the DB this project is dead.

So I'll bump this thread every so often with that in mind.

• 1Barf

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Wasn't even bad press; if I remember right it had one of those massive preorder statuses for a minute. It's that it literally shipped with no content for 40+ levels and lots of unfinished areas and gamebreaking bugs. Like it could not have been more obvious that it was pushed out the door incomplete without proper QA done.

Pretty sure at launch the solution to fix a quest was to make a new character because you are fucked... There was some fun bugs like everything bards could do, Psionicist and I think paladins able to premanently stun players in PVP, shit didn't even wear off if you relogged. You had to die, leaving for some epic trolling.

• 1Worf

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
This ain't VG post-mortem thread. We're making it present tense.

Through the emulator project itself, and the work of many bothans, we will have Vanguard in full emulation one day.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
This ain't VG post-mortem thread. We're making it present tense.

Through the emulator project itself, and the work of many bothans, we will have Vanguard in full emulation one day.

What? You just posted two weeks ago it’s dead forever without the database.

• 1Like

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
What? You just posted two weeks ago it’s dead forever without the database.

We're circling the wagons to get the DB. Calm your tits.

We're going to manifest an unstoppable force of nature.

• 1Like

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
what is needed is a "classic pack subscription" where they bring back all their old shit (EQmac, original star wars, all that) as a bundle with monthly subscription.

Or keep hording this old shit like a 8track tape until no one gives a fuck anymore and won't even pay 2c for it

• 1Like

Denaut

Trump's Staff
We're making it present tense.

why.gif

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
I hope you pull this off and can only imagine what is needed datawise or why that's a hold up to the point you're completely stuck, or how you got to that stuck point with everything else being ready

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
what is needed is a "classic pack subscription" where they bring back all their old shit (EQmac, original star wars, all that) as a bundle with monthly subscription.

Or keep hording this old shit like a 8track tape until no one gives a fuck anymore and won't even pay 2c for it
Going to be the grognard here, but shit like Github/et al weren't super popular in the early 2000s. That shit lived on a couple of discs/floppies and that's it. It's probably all gone at this point, or the people who actually have it want retard-money levels to release it.
I'd love for a re-release of Vanguard, using modern hardware, just to see if it would have -ever- been not a complete shitshow. My mind tells me no, but my body is telling me yes. Either way, no way we know unless whomever has the DB files (and someone does) gives them up.

Ikkan

Molten Core Raider
I got the VGO emulator up and running. It's so cool to be able to just run around and explore.

Warmuth

Molten Core Raider
Going to be the grognard here, but shit like Github/et al weren't super popular in the early 2000s. That shit lived on a couple of discs/floppies and that's it. It's probably all gone at this point, or the people who actually have it want retard-money levels to release it.
I'd love for a re-release of Vanguard, using modern hardware, just to see if it would have -ever- been not a complete shitshow. My mind tells me no, but my body is telling me yes. Either way, no way we know unless whomever has the DB files (and someone does) gives them up.

When I was playing the game a bit before it shut down it was just fine. The only thing people would have to complain about is it still chunked.

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
EQ necros with their health and stat transfer spells? that was what it was like
I mean not really. The offensive / defensive target system makes it entirely different. You're thematically correct but from a game play perspective it was much different and better. Why more games don't steal this concept is beyond me. If you're going to have tab-targeting this is the best system to date imo.

• 1Like

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
I mean not really. The offensive / defensive target system makes it entirely different. You're thematically correct but from a game play perspective it was much different and better. Why more games don't steal this concept is beyond me. If you're going to have tab-targeting this is the best system to date imo.

Right, but all the classes had access to defensive and offensive targets. As for bloodmage, its main "thing" was damaging enemy to heal friends (or yourself), so basically necro lifetap style. Think necro with less damage but more "heal on transfer". I'm being simplistic just for those that never played get the drift.

Locnar was a goblin bloodmage on the pvp server. VERY fun class.

• 1Like