Velvet Buzzsaw (2019)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
3.00 star(s) Rating: 3.00/5 1 Votes
Title: Velvet Buzzsaw (2019)

Tagline: All art is dangerous

Genre: Thriller, Science Fiction, Horror, Comedy, Crime, Mystery, Romance, Drama

Director: Dan Gilroy

Cast: Jake Gyllenhaal, Zawe Ashton, Rene Russo, Tom Sturridge, John Malkovich, Toni Collette, Billy Magnussen, Natalia Dyer, Daveed Diggs, Peter Gadiot, Mig Macario, Mark Steger, Cass Buggé, James Aston Lake, Valentina Gordon, Oz Kalvan, Darren Richardson, Jasmin Marsters, Sydney Lemmon, Pamela Shaddock, Rob Brownstein, Lourdes Nadres, Stephanie Nash, Time Winters, Courtney Stephens, Sam Sami, Andrea Marcovicci, Mike Ostroski, Nic Cornett, Tony Jacobsen, Nova DeJhemani, Brendan Parry Kaufmann, Giulia Rocca, Andrea Bensussen, Tyrone Evans Clark, Eric Shackelford, Joan Urchin, Kassandra Voyagis, Mark Leslie Ford, Kristen Rakes, Amy Tsang, Pisay Pao, Christopher Darga, Ian Alda, Stan Divranos, Damon O'Daniel, David Alan Graf, Scott Broderick, Jeremy Russell, Sitara Falcon, Monique McKellop, Kevin Carroll, Patrick Quinlan, Stefan Marks, Eugene Nomura, James Paxton, Eli Santana, Scott Peat, Elise Falanga, Pat Healy, Keith Bogart, Robert Artz, G. Larry Butler, Sean Riley, Erica Chappell, R Scott Hoffman, Sofia Toufa, Reuben Boyd, Joel Patino Corona, Sal Lopez, Milton Perez, Candice Ramirez, Marco Rodríguez, Andrea Helene, Chris Ghaffari, Rebecca Klingler, Charlotte Taschen, Adam Silver, Joanna Strapp, Kanoa Goo, Jeni Jones, John Fleck

Release: 2019-02-01

Runtime: 109

Plot: Big money artists and mega-collectors pay a high price when art collides with commerce. After a series of paintings by an unknown artist are discovered, a supernatural force enacts revenge on those who have allowed their greed to get in the way of art.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
So Nightcrawler was a judgement on the paparazzi. This is a judgement on the art scene? What's next, some weird movie about wine tasters?

That preview was confusing. Based on Jake's acting, I am not sure if this is going to be dark and cynically funny or it is going for purposely serious and scary.

If the former, probable watch, if the latter, probable skip. Someone keep us informed.

• 1Like

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
Definitely made fun of the pretension behind art in general and Gyllenhaal is always great, but I didn't really care for it.

Last edited:

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Movie is a waste of time. I loved nightcrawler and Jake kills it a long with with the other actors but it's a terrible script

• 1Like

Caliane

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Great actors.

Its mostly just a mediocre ghost horror movie. some back special effects.

• 1Like

yeahthatisneathuh

Trakanon Raider
Mah boi Jake nailed it. His performance is stellar. The script is terrible and I am always baffled at how something like that does't get a rewrite when it gets big names behind it. There is no good resolution, even the title is weird. The direction is serviceable. The main love interest has a few lines that are so bad that it took me out of the experience.

From the preview/word of mouth, I thought it was going to be a movie about what art can make people do. Or maybe the pursuit of perfect art and its consequences. Some kind of metaphor along those lines. No, though. It's a garbage horror/thriller with a great performance by JG.

Caliane

Golden Baronet of the Realm
yeah.

I really do not understand why the kills were so lame. Not remotely clever, or ironic or anything. all kindof... sortof art medium related. but thats its. and often stretching it.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Saw this last night, it was OK, but the ending kinda sucked. Should have had more effects in this too.

Brodhi

I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue.
<Donor>
Not sure what to make of it. They got really good actors who did a great job, but the movie was just pretty bad. It wasn't a horror movie, it wasn't a comedy or drama, it wasn't suspenseful. It wasn't a social commentary on the world of fashion/art. Not sure...the acting was good, that's about it.

• 1Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
IT almost seemed like they wanted to do a dusk till dawn type of thing, art world in the beginning, blah blah, then horror slasher at the end, but they failed on both fronts.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database