Venus (2022)

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
2.50 star(s) Rating: 2.50/5 2 Votes
Title: Venus (2022)

Genre: Drama, Horror, Thriller

Director: Jaume Balagueró

Cast: Ester Expósito, Ángela Cremonte, Inés Fernández, Magüi Mira, Aten Soria, María José Sarrate, Sofía Reyes, Fernando Valdivielso, Federico Aguado, Francisco Boira, Pedro Bachura, Alejandra Meco, Rocío Andrés Riber, Said Taibi, Sonsoles Benedicto, Lourdes Llamas, Nany Reyes, Claudia Apolonia, Pedro Piqueras

Release: 2022-12-02

Runtime: 101

Plot: Lucía, a club dancer on the run, takes refuge in a sinister building on the outskirts of Madrid where her sister Rocío lives with her daughter Alba.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Very renown Spanish horror director.

It is subs only. Should be available on Amazon as they picked it up for distro-- or the usual places have it.

Director is known for competent well-made movies.

It's also nice to get outside the casting decisions of say the recent "Hellraiser" remake, where all the characters seem to be affected by modern inclusion. Often times the female leads are either masculine or intentionally ugly. Getting outside the American market, you can get back to more of a traditional horror casting.

Either way this gets a rebb recommend for strong tension throughout and incredible pacing.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I was on board until...

the last 15 minutes or so, right about the time she pulls out the staple gun and duct tape. Thought there would have been much better ways to handle that without being ridiculously stupid. Would have been fine with me had she actually died and little girl had just exacted old god vengeance on everyone and the world.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I was on board until...

the last 15 minutes or so, right about the time she pulls out the staple gun and duct tape. Thought there would have been much better ways to handle that without being ridiculously stupid. Would have been fine with me had she actually died and little girl had just exacted old god vengeance on everyone and the world.

A heads up was given there was going to be surreal elements when

The clairvoyant performing a ritual to find her

The blend between what is real and what isn't was well done and part of the Lovecraftian tension.

Instilling doubt in the viewer was part of the tension throughout. Overall, it was a good tribute to Lovecraft with it's play between dream and not.

Name a better horror movie released this month. I'm open to suggestions.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database