Very personal tattoo commission

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I lost my younger brother (he was 38) to heart failure in Feb. of this year.

In 2014, he got exposed to some chemicals while cleaning fracking tanks in an oil field that caused the damage to his heart. He spent the next 6 months in the hospital on literal deaths door before recovering enough to have an LVAD implanted as a temporary measure while he waited for a heart transplant. In early Jan of of this year, he suffered a stroke that was so bad nothing else could be done and the pump that powered his heart had to be turned off.

After his heart pump was turned off, I expected to him pass very quickly, but he didn't. He was placed in hospice and it took another 5 days before he passed. I stayed by his side the entire time. It was the most excruciating, painful, and scarring experience of my life. Being only 11 months apart, we were incredibly close our entire lives. Other than my wife, there was no other person on this earth I loved more. He was a warrior the entire time and I want to honor his memory with tattoo on my back.

I've looked locally, but I don't like any of the work I have seen. What I want is a very powerful angel looking skyward towards heaven carrying my warrior of a brother to heaven, with a TBD message. I will compensate for a legitimate piece, but please get with me first before you start work. For reference, it's going to be on my back and be quite large.

Here are a couple pictures. The first one was the day before they turned off his pump (no I don't have mange, I had been wearing a hat), and the second was minutes before they turned off his heart pump.

2.jpg

1.jpg

• 10Solidarity
Reactions: 9 users

Izo

Tranny Chaser
11-16-2010_8-11-31_PM.jpg
Sorry bro, it's SS. But for real, that's a nice gesture. Maybe our resident wiz @Urgoslav can help?

I'm sorry for your loss.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Sorry for your loss, Grabbit. That's rough.

PreacherX

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Sorry to hear that, I have an old friend that I will try to get in touch with. He has drawn all my ink work and is pretty good

Mrs. Gravy

Quite Saucy
<QUITE SAUCY>
Damn...no words are good enough to give to you in this, your loss. I wish I had them, but they don't exist.

I hope that you can find just the right art and artist for this planned honor.

Moogalak

<Gold Donor>
Sorry for your loss, man. I know nothing about tats or artists, but I do know a bit about losing someone close. Please make sure you are conscious of your needs.

As traumatic as the experience sounds (and I'm sure feels,) you probably have a lot of unconscious trauma that you need to work out. Seems like you have a good mindset about it, but it's something that takes a very long time (if ever) to cope with. Keep the communication channels open to those closest to you, and stay strong.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
It's horrible man, I know the feeling after watching my mom wither away from cancer.. No words can express what you are going through..

That being said, I know nothing of tattoos, but if I was to get one it would be from one of those people on Ink Master or similar TV show. They own shops and obviously have great skills.. I'm sure they aren't cheap, but imho both in regards to the seriousness of the subject matter and the practical irreversibility of a tattoo, I wouldn't settle for anything less than the best out there.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Oldbased

> Than U
Being in heart failure at 43 and lost my brother when he was 41( 2007 ) this gets me right in the feels.
I don't know any good tattoo artists to suggest to you but you have my respect and admiration for that.
I am sorry for your loss.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Feelings aside, you should say which state you currently reside in, how far you are willing to travel, and how many times(a full back tat will take many sessions) you are willing to travel.

Of course i don't have a single tat, i've just watched ink master, but that information will help, sorry for your loss.

you'll most likely find a good match if you provide some references like
"angel flying towards the sun"
angel flying towards the sun - Google Search

you can also substitute Icarus instead of angel

"angel carrying soldier"
angel carrying soldier - Google Search

I'm sure you know the style you're looking for would most likely be "realism", here is the style guide from inked mag
Tattoo Style Guide

Last edited:

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
This hits me right in the feels. The salem sump NG brings back horrific memories of a patient of mine with gastroparesis.

My condolences. :( I hope you find an amazing artist to do your work.

• 1Like

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It's horrible man, I know the feeling after watching my mom wither away from cancer.. No words can express what you are going through..

That being said, I know nothing of tattoos, but if I was to get one it would be from one of those people on Ink Master or similar TV show. They own shops and obviously have great skills.. I'm sure they aren't cheap, but imho both in regards to the seriousness of the subject matter and the practical irreversibility of a tattoo, I wouldn't settle for anything less than the best out there.

That's a great idea. The cost really isn't a concern.