Veterans Small Business

Gadrel_sl

shitlord
So you say I'm very, very wrong...and then tell him to set up an LLC. Talk about being argumentative for no reason.

I didn't say "LOL, just go set up an LLC willy nilly! Shit's easy bro!"
Judge-Judy-Shake-My-Head.gif

Unidin

Molten Core Raider
Most LLCs are easy to pierce because business owners can be idiots with their finances. Don't co-mingle your funds and it's generally not a big deal. The first time you do something like make your mortgage payment out of your LLC, the LLC is done.

Harfle

Lord Nagafen Raider
Most LLCs are easy to pierce because business owners can be idiots with their finances. Don't co-mingle your funds and it's generally not a big deal. The first time you do something like make your mortgage payment out of your LLC, the LLC is done.
pretty much sums it up

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
I'd disagree.

It has more to do with tracking where your money is going and letting your accountant handle the rest. A lot of "sole proprietorship" LLC's operate similarly to the example you just provided. In most cases I'd assume they transfer funds to make a payment, but, in essence, it's the same thing.

Burnesto

Molten Core Raider
That's fairly poor advice. You should consult on how to actually handle the transactions before you ever make them. Letting your accountant handle the rest would end in the disaster because it's much harder to fix something after it has already occurred.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
That's fairly poor advice. You should consult on how to actually handle the transactions before you ever make them. Letting your accountant handle the rest would end in the disaster because it's much harder to fix something after it has already occurred.
I wasn't giving advice. I was making a statement. There are tons of sole proprietorships that don't handle their finances with best practices.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Luckily the thing we are going to be the most careful with is the finances.

Safety first? Hell no, watching that ledger first.

recommend you scan through the information available on the SBA's website.

To do business with the federal Government you're going to need at a minimum a duns number and a cage code as well. And that's also to work as a sub to one of the bigs since they need to be able to pull your reps and certs (www.sam.gov) in order to verify that you are in fact reporting as small under the NAICS code relevant to the acquisition.

Once you've gotten past performance as a subcontractor you can move to bidding as prime on some of the set aside stuff but that's at least 5 years away.

Agree with the other folks - don't waste a bunch of money on unnecessary overhead. You don't need a physical location for a while and that's normal when just starting out. Big businesses need to be able to put pass through on the price you quote them and still remain price competitive so if you're an expensive small business no one really wants to deal with you.

Most of the bigs will make you produce a certificate of insurance however so that's a cost I would plan on.

If you need someone to look at teaming documents and subcontracts etc I can check with my future employer though I'm sure he wouldn't have an issue with it - but I can probably do that for you - if you want my rate send me a PM
smile.png

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Etoille does this. She's either trying to look super cool, or she's got some form of aspergers. I actually think she's getting a little better... Just go with it /shrug

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Was that English?
She does it for the .gov, I have another guy that does it for .ca.gov so it looks like my corner is going to be solid when this gets up and running.

Etoille move to CA and marry me, I will go Mormon to have you and my wife, you can even bring the new parasite you birthed.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
God I hate hate hate the fact that I actually understand everything Etoille is talking about in her post. Fuck government contracting.

Harfle

Lord Nagafen Raider
God I hate hate hate the fact that I actually understand everything Etoille is talking about in her post. Fuck government contracting.
I know all etoille is saying too. Glad I passed up that chance to go to the federal acquisition academy.

I don't work for the government. But about 80% of my time in private sector is spent on proposals. Only 20% is contracts management.

The new job I am starting in Jan is essentially to take a small business to the next level but in a way that doesn't fuck them over with growth that is too fast. As other folks here have said I am not just talking out my ass. This is stuff he needs to do.

Your offer while tempting a_skeleton_03 is probably not enough
tongue.png

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
she dumbed that down considerably. government contracting sucks fucking dick to get into.