Video game actors considering strike

Neki

Molten Core Raider
Video game actors consider strike - BBC News

The actors who provide the voice-overs for video game characters are considering striking over pay and conditions.

The union that represents them wants better protection and pay for roles that cause "voice stress" such as repeated shouting.

It also wants a clearer definition between the roles of voice actors and those who are involved in motion capture.

Members are due to vote next month.

The Screen Actors Guild - American Federation of Television and Radio Artists (Sag-Afrta) said that, if more 75% of members agree, then all union members working on video games will go on strike.

It wants actors to get stunt pay for vocally stressful recording sessions and for such sessions to be restricted to two hours.

It is also calling for performance bonuses each time a game sells two million copies...
No more voice over shouting in your future video games then. Yay?

Jait

Molten Core Raider
It must really chap their ass that they spend a lifetime working in a field, mastering their craft, joining the union, making a decent living. And there you are making 50k on a gaming title, busting your ass to get your character just perfect and then Kiefer Sutherland walks in drunk and stoned, pukes on the carpet, mutters a few lines into the microphone and gets paid 2.5 million.

And he's not even in your union, and SAG won't give a voice actor the time of day.

I find these stories hilarious and have no sympathy.

Caliane

It must really chap their ass that they spend a lifetime working in a field, mastering their craft, joining the union, making a decent living. And there you are making 50k on a gaming title, busting your ass to get your character just perfect and then Kiefer Sutherland walks in drunk and stoned, pukes on the carpet, mutters a few lines into the microphone and gets paid 2.5 million.

And he's not even in your union, and SAG won't give a voice actor the time of day.

Or worse, do all that.. then have Wil Wheaton be the one interviewed to speak for you.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Just pay the guy that does Nathan Drake a lot of money to do every game and fire everyone else.

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
Just pay the guy that does Nathan Drake a lot of money to do every game and fire everyone else.
I don't know if I want the guy that claimed games were made for sexed up teenage potheads as the voice for every character. Sure he claims they are "getting better" but that is nothing more than an insincere olive-branch to the people he just insulted.

Video games ARE sexist, claims Uncharted 4 star Nolan 'Nathan Drake' North - Mirror Online

It's killing me this new fad of hating your audience. Wheaton has always been a tool so I'm not shocked there, but having people who have been in the business for years come out against their fan-base is getting old.

Angerz

Trakanon Raider

$50k sounds like it is about 10x what most of them get paid for a game. The guy who did the voice of Crazy Dave for PvZ 2 said his take home was about $1600.

Wil Wheton has a blog post that makes their 'demands' sound pretty reasonable. It sounds like they want to go from getting shit to getting pissed on.

As for vocal stress, I've never had to talk and yell for 8 hours straight, but I assume it sucks. I've heard Day9 and league casters on a Monday after a weekend long event which would total 8 or so hours over 2 days with rotations in and out of games and they sound miserable.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
If i can talk and yell for 8 hours every sunday watching football then these pussies can too. Also fuck Will Wheaton.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
SAG/AFTRA aren't "unions" as much as they are cartels. The performances of the actors are the products, they set the prices on those performances, they're freaking cartels.

I remember back when I was persuing a career in acting that my teachers told me to make sure you don't join SAG until they force you to. If you're in SAG and you haven't "made it" yet, you'll never get any work because no one will want to put up with SAG's bullshit to hire some no-name. They'll just look for an identical non-union actor.

Getting residuals for voice work is retarded. I can agree with more clearly defining the line between voice acting and mo capping, but under no way should producers agree to giving SAG actors residuals. You give those assholes an inch, they'll take a mile.

Szlia

It makes sense that screaming all day should come with some strenuous/hazardous work bonus. I wonder if it's something you can train to muscle/reinforce to prevent injuries. I assume professional singers do such things, but I wonder if voice actors do too.

The Master

Bronze Squire
It makes sense that screaming all day should come with some strenuous/hazardous work bonus. I wonder if it's something you can train to muscle/reinforce to prevent injuries. I assume professional singers do such things, but I wonder if voice actors do too.
It really is just a matter of resting it and even then singers often get polyps. At which point they can either stop singing or get a surgery that may permanently alter their voice which could ruin their careers or maybe it is fine. It isn't quite a coin flip, but it is close.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
I remember that time someone put a gun to a persons head and said scream into this microphone for 8 hours! Fucks sake, it's not a minimum wage job where you need protection from exploitation.

Or just do what everyone does for screaming special effects: Hire Mike Patton.