Video Game Symphony

Sulrn

Deuces
So I couldn't find the old gaming music thread to look around in (or maybe I'm misremembering the biggest gaming moment thread), but our local symphony conductor does a lot of "pop" concerts in addition to the classics and the normal visiting artist/guest conductor concerts. He hasn't done anything with video games before, but he's ready to get away from movies for a little bit and try something different to bring in the younger/non-traditional crowds. So I'm working on a list as a proposal for a future concert. I'm a RPG player at heart, but I wanted to make so I brought a little bit of everything to the table.

So if you could, what songs from your video game glory days would you want to hear played live? Looking at a traditional symphonic orchestra with the possibility for assisting instruments / choir. So nothing that can't be reproduced without the aid of a computer.

I personally would have something like this:

1. FF7 Opening Theme/Bombing Run
2. FF7 Aeris' Theme
3. FF7 One Winged Angel
4. FF8 Liberi Fatali
5. FF8 Dance with the Balamb Fish / Waltz to the Moon
6. FF8 Ending Theme
7. FFX Hymn of the Faith - Shiva / FF Prelude
4,4,7,3,3,13,3 + 8, 2, 2 ~ 45-50 minutes
Intermission
LoZ:Link to the Past - Main Theme / WW - Main Theme
Dragon Age: Origins - Main Theme / Leliana's Song
Mass Effect 3: Earth / Defeat / The Fleets Arrive
TES: Morrowind/Oblivion Theme / Skyrim - Dragonborn
Everquest - Riverale or Kelethin or Main Theme
Goldeneye N64 - Runway / Main Menu / James Bond Theme
Tetris - A Type
Super Mario Brothers
2,3,2,3,2,2,7,2,3 + 2,2,5 ~ 20-30 minutes

Couldn't think of anything with a real rock vibe to accompany CnC's Hell March to justify bringing it in. Not exactly happy with my first attempt at the second half, but it was what came to mind first. What would you go for?

Sulrn

Deuces
I had a feeling someone would mention Chrono Trigger, but didn't know what they would suggest since I've never played the game.

I've seen the Smooth McGroove (or something similar) before, so I know at lot of the older MIDI/polyphonic stuff would be convertible with a choral group. Other than Mario and Tetris though, nothing really stuck out to me as a part of my older gaming sessions. Still curious if anyone is going to suggest anything from Castlevania, as I couldn't find anything memorable about the music, but I remember someone posting it before.

Herdsman_sl

shitlord
ActRaiser's music is all great when played by a symphony. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night's soundtrack is a perfect fit. And finally anything in the Dragon Warrior/Quest series.

Goonsquad Officer
chronocross theme
time circuits (zeal overland music)
frog's theme
Final Fantasy 3 ('merica) intro
shit half of final fantasy 3
secret of mana intro
phantasy start IV intro
a half dozen songs from symphony of the night I don't know the name of.
SimCity 3000 soundtrack. all of it
xenogears intro song, that song they use for exposition and walking around the ydrassil.
it's not old, but the bastion soundtrack would be awesome to see performed.

I'm sure new songs will pop in my head all day.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
I'd like to hear the entire set list of The Black Mages.

They were in Norway a few years back, but I wasn't able to make it
frown.png

The Master

Bronze Squire
I went to the Zelda 25th anniversary symphony. Would highly recommend looking that up for ideas. Most deep franchises have enough music for a whole night in and of themselves, I feel like having "theme" nights would be more fun for people. So all FF one night. All Zelda one night. Maybe by game category? An RPG night, a platformer night, etc.

Everything mention thus far is good. I highly recommend Xenogears Creid if you can find it. There are some vids on youtube, but nothing with great quality. Castlevania Symphony of the Night OST is another I listen to regularly.

I also think when it comes to Final Fantasy music this is a highly underrated gem:The Price of Freedom