Virtual Reality

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
In this industry it is best to make solid, safe decisions while everybody around you self-combusts.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
breaking news:
Palmer_sl said:
I guarantee that you won't need to log into your Facebook account every time you wanna use the Oculus Rift.
maybe it's not so bad...

Column_sl

shitlord
This is such a strange acquisition that any knee jerk reaction is just that.

I want to see who leaves in the next few months to even form an opinion on it. Could be the greatest thing ever for VR, or the end of the Rift.

God forbid if we ever let Sony start leading that tech, they can't even get there current headset working on there own machine...
I prefer most of the innovation come from the PC community until we have a better way to do VR then its current iteration which is very hardware intensive.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Luckey is spamming reddit with the same cheery bullshit, which is probably a good sign. If this was a, "Fuck yeah time to sell out and do something else" he'd be MIA.

Column_sl

shitlord
My hope is they pour enough money into it that they can come up with something new.

The current HMD's are still pretty simplistic. You can pretty much homebrew one right now.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Luckey is spamming reddit with the same cheery bullshit, which is probably a good sign. If this was a, "Fuck yeah time to sell out and do something else" he'd be MIA.
I don't know if he is a really good salesman or I'm just too hopeful, but he sure has kind of changed my mind with his posts.

Column_sl

shitlord
If they can keep going, all the added backing means we get 4k quicker.

After watching the demo Tuco posted with the Rift. Jumping from even the DK2 to 4k is such a huge leap.

Much more then the DK1 to DK2 which isn't as much as I hoped for according to that chart.

Jovec

?
Guy probably has DK2 otw.

Is this the first big Kickstarter "betrayal" to leverage KS seed money into a buyout that the backers probably don't approve of? Not that they have any say...

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I'm surprised Google didn't try to purchase them. I would think it would fit in nicely with their Skynet acquisitions.

Superhiro

Silver Knight of the Realm
I think Facebook has an obsession of thinking of google as their competitor and therefore have to buy anything that they believe google might be interested in before they can do it. Facebook drones? Occulus?

mixtilplix

Lord Nagafen Raider
I can't wait for VR Candy Crush.
rrr_img_63471.jpg

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I'm surprised Google didn't try to purchase them. I would think it would fit in nicely with their Skynet acquisitions.
I wouldn't be surprised if they made a bid. 2 billion is a ton of money though, especially since their primary technology is outsourced and their software algorithms are replicatable.

mixtilplix

Lord Nagafen Raider
I totally forgot it was open source. I wonder how that will play out. If the situation with Oracle/MySQL is anything to go by, then most likely they will stop releasing public repo updates to the driver. People can fork the current releases but I bet all the bigger R&D updates and improvements from now on will be kept to themselves.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Seems so odd that it's facebook buying it. Just not the company I would connect with something like this.