mkopec

<Gold Donor>
What if it was EA?
biggrin.png

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Interesting thread on a theory of what Facebook plans to do with the rift:
This is how Facebook will make their 2 billion back | Oculus General Discussion | Oculus Rift Developer Forums
Facebook to Acquire Oculus

Above is the link to the conference call regarding the acquisition of Oculus VR.
On the call are Brendan Iribe( OculusVR) and Mark Zuckerberg(Facebook) as well as a few office personnel from both parties and a couple people who have questions for them regarding the acquisition and the future for Oculus VR.

***** I HIGHLY recommend that you listen to it before you comment *****

So, after listening to the call it became very clear the interest that Facebook has with Oculus VR
Short answer is to make money (duh )
But how that money is made is by something that Facebook does very well...the answer: Advertising

Now before you all go start throwing a temper tantrum like a bunch of 3rd grade school girls hear me out.

The ads that FB intends to have sounds like any other website on the internet that you use.
If I am understanding Mark correctly he wants to create a website that is like a VR hub. A central marketplace if you will. A main website to use as a portal to pretty much whatever VR experience you are looking for, be it gaming, shopping, sporting events, social networking, or just plain ole cool VR experiences. The ads will be placed on THAT website and advertisers Im sure will be willing to pay top dollar for a spot on the main pages. Its genius really.
But as Mark said that is not a plan for the anytime near future as VR has not hit homes across the globe... yet.

As he said in the conference call his immediate goals are to help get a great product out to the people as soon as they can. Because whats the use in having a VR central hub website, if no one has a VR headset to experience it. It only makes sense for Mark to have OculusVR's best interest in mind.

So for all those that think this is bad, you have got to realize what this means for the future of VR. Mark wants the Rift to be in every home across the globe. ( Isn't that something we wanted from the beginning too?)

So how will all this work you may ask. Well I am certainly not a business/advertising guru by any means but I can see the writing on the walls plain as day. Let me lay it out for you.

1. FB buys Oculus VR to secure their place with the future of VR media interface.
2. FB says heres a lot of capitol(money) to make the rift simply incredible
3. FB already has brand recognition that it can use to help boost CV1 Rift sales
(In turn boosting the market for anything and everything VR)
4. Steal underpants (sorry I couldn't resist- South park reference)
5. The consumer and software community booms because of the laws of supply and demand
6. FB creates a central hub website that brings together all these wanted VR uses(as mentioned in the paragraphs above)
7. Advertisers start paying big bucks to put their ads on this central hub website that soon everyone with access to VR will undoubtedly be going to.
8. Profit

Now do you guys get it???
Your NOT going to have ads popping up in your face while you are rifting, that would be ridiculous and an instant death for the platform. Mark wants people to enjoy their experience so they use his central hub website more. (duh)
So for all of you that think this was a bad idea, I say you are ignorant to how business works.

This isn't going to kill the rift, quite the contrary. It is going to make it as common place as the cell phone in your pocket.

Now, if any of you are smart and wanted to jump on the "facebook handing out gobs of money" bandwagon.
You would start developing apps/platforms for different uses for VR. As I see FB buying up the rights to anything they see they could use for their central hub VR site.

So what do you guys think? Lets have a civil discussion and save all the Facebook bashing for the Reddit forums.

tldr: facebook wants to make a VR version of steam and make money from advertising + probably a cut from sales.

My response: Good luck beating Steam at their own game with a market-base of advanced users who hate facebook and love valve.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
That guy is using this as a soap box to promote a pretty popular view in economics that got dealt a blow by the investment portions of the new laws (I'm kind of hazy here, I haven't been keeping up completely on it--so take this with a grain of salt in terms of the legal side.) Essentially, many economists want Crowd Funding to turn into a way for people to make crowd based loans; complete with returns on investment in the face of profits--like a bank does (Or, I should say, more like an investment house does--since the dollars being competed over here are mostly retirement funds). Except, unlike a funds manager/investment bank, the person can target where their loan goesdirectly; and this has a HUGE amount of positives.

The biggest being that it's not a small handful of people in control of the capital, but a diverse and autonomous group of people who have a DIRECT connection to the capital--which means they assume personal risk and have different rationalities in terms of long and short term gains. (Some of the bigger investment houses are so warped in terms of risk it's almost comical) The next benefit being that it allows an automatic risk diffusion by keeping the loans small, and lastly, it will theoretically allow a high degree of adaptability and liquidity in capital (For the same reason why Capitalism works, with autonomous, individual decisions, adaptation is much faster---again, theoretically...It's bringing the "free market" to finance).

I'm not sure if I'm sold on all the above, there are problems with it all (One being that the due diligence, like verifying accounting statements and credit reliability, would fall on the crowd source company ect and a host of other things)....but one thing I think would be really good, is investment houses having competition for their investment dollars--and making it so there is a direct connection between people who own the "money" (Investors) and people who need it--without someone in the middle (Finance controllers) who benefit just in the short term. Usually in most markets, having smaller, more efficient and direct actor to actor connections increases efficiency; I think if that could work here.

Anyway, the problem is that this would all require regulatory framework. For the same reason banks need all kinds of legal protections--this new form of finance would need them as well. By the government walking back from that regulatory framework, it was seen as a kind of lampoon in this new kind of finance. Which not only screws the new age "investor" (By not giving him returns) but also reduces the amount of money that would flow into this from younger investors--and we're talking HUGE sums of money; the world bank estimates that if this was actually a serious investment, and even if people only diverted 1% of their portfolios "for fun", it would be a 100billiondollar industry (Right now it's over 3 billion)

That's a ton of investment competition for current institutions. And, maybe more importantly, it allows easier access to capital for a lot of people that wouldn't otherwise have it, because the risk from a centralized capital controller (Bank, Venture Capitalist) is too high but from an individual it can be low. In other words, one bank lending 50k the bank has to do a huge amount of due diligence and often the returns can't compete with more ventures that are seen as better short term gains when you have that much capital (Even if they are riskier long term). However, someone with 50$, who is promised X back if things work out? It's a different story, it's a whole new set of rationalities and it can make capital "liquid" in places where it wasn't before.

Again, I could make a ton of counter points to the above, so take it how you will--I'm not saying the points are correct (And the explanations are super short, it's a ton more complex than that). But that's why the guy is pissy, because he's probably one of the people that sees this as a market that's being squandered due to government not playing it's role. But as someone commented earlier,the regulatory set back has nothing to do with this. He's being disingenuous by associating it (The whole article is more of a "this is the tip of the iceberg!")

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
"In an effort to stay relevant, Myspace purchases a Virtual Boy off eBay for $65"
PTvaxMq.jpg

Szlia

As a septic, I have some questions for the optimists. I am a septic about the technology and about the content, but for today let's just focus on usability. Three questions:

1) Multi-tasking: I don't know about you, but it is extremely rare these days that I play a game and do nothing else. Maybe I am alt-tabing now and then to read rerolled or a FAQ, maybe I have a laptop running with a sport feed on, maybe I am playing with a buddy a single player game and we chat as we play, etc. It seems to me all of this goes out of the window with a VR helmet. Isn't that a problem or am I the only one multi-tasking when gaming?

2) Comfort: People bitch and moan about having to wear glasses to see 3D movies, be it at the theater or at home. How long do you think you can play with a VR helmet before wanting to stop simply for comfort reasons?

3) Heart attack: I often play with headphones. When I do and someone walks up to me and makes their presence felt I am often surprised. Add a VR helmet to the situation: how can I avoid a heart attack?

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
As a septic, I have some questions for the optimists. I am a septic about the technology and about the content, but for today let's just focus on usability. Three questions:

1) Multi-tasking: I don't know about you, but it is extremely rare these days that I play a game and do nothing else. Maybe I am alt-tabing now and then to read rerolled or a FAQ, maybe I have a laptop running with a sport feed on, maybe I am playing with a buddy a single player game and we chat as we play, etc. It seems to me all of this goes out of the window with a VR helmet. Isn't that a problem or am I the only one multi-tasking when gaming?

2) Comfort: People bitch and moan about having to wear glasses to see 3D movies, be it at the theater or at home. How long do you think you can play with a VR helmet before wanting to stop simply for comfort reasons?

3) Heart attack: I often play with headphones. When I do and someone walks up to me and makes their presence felt I am often surprised. Add a VR helmet to the situation: how can I avoid a heart attack?
skeptic: a person who questions the validity or authenticity of something purporting to be factual.
septic: : of, relating to, or causing putrefaction

1. Yup it's a huge downside. Personally I have four monitors, and when I'm playing games (Especially MMOs) only one of those monitors is ingame. You'll probably be able to alt tab to a desktop, and in the future you'll be able to alt tab to a virtual desktop. But all in all when you're plugged into VR it's a much more focused system.

Overall I think VR will work best on very immersive games. The Battlefields, the Skyrims etc. Playing an MMO casually will work fine too.

2. We'll see how the DK2 is, but people have reported being okay using the DK1 for 6+ hours. As technology improves the weight of the device will decrease along with discomfort wearing it.

3. Exercise and diet? I'm no doctor but healthy people don't frequently just die of heart attacks. You accrue a systemic problem in your cardiovascular system and eventually some stimulus causes that to fail.

Szlia

Don't take my 3) so literally! I used heart attack for the hyperbole, but my question really is: how do they propose to allow the real world to contact the VR player without it being a shock? A 'dinner time' remote? Using the motion tracking camera to warn the VR player when something else than him moves or makes noise?

PS: I obviously am a rotten skeptic!

Jovec

?
I suppose the headset could include a forward looking cam to overlay that image onto the display on command.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Don't take my 3) so literally! I used heart attack for the hyperbole, but my question really is: how do they propose to allow the real world to contact the VR player without it being a shock? A 'dinner time' remote? Using the motion tracking camera to warn the VR player when something else than him moves or makes noise?

PS: I obviously am a rotten skeptic!
Haha sorry.

Another serious problem is how frightening games can be with the Rift. One popular game is Dreadhalls and it's a pretty low budget game. Imagine what a more visually realistic game could present: