Volunteering?

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I didn't find a Volunteering thread, and thought I could start one if anyone else decides to do something similar to what I'm trying to do.
----------
I meet all different kinds of people when I'm doing my Job. I have an schedule that has 3 on, 4 off, and then reverse the next rotation. - I met this one Kid that's probably 14-15 and his mom is single and hes not in the best atmosphere to be direct and to the point.

I found an agency that I can volunteer at that is sort of like a Big Brother program. I talked to the mother of the kid and got him signed up with the program, so I can spend time with this kid and get him out of that mess while hes on break from School. Now the problem lies in... what the hell do I do with a kid at this age? I don't really do anything that a Kid his age would enjoy. Going to the gym and being around my coworkers isn't going to work, and I don't want to take him to my House and play games. My work place sponsors "Field Days" which is basically the equivalent of a Field Training Exercise in the Military, but is only for the Day and isn't so strict. But that only takes place once a month. I don't mind spending a few dollars here and there, but I'm looking for something that's not going to cost me any money that is good, wholesome fun. Any ideas are welcome!

iannis

Musty Nester
That was like my first thought. My second thought was "sit around and watch TV". My third thought was "give him your bangbro's password (14-15 year old kid)". My fourth thought was "that's probably not a good thing to suggest for a mentor program, Daid gonna get arrested and shit". My fifth thought was, "get a console and some 2player vidja games".

And then we run down the list where you use him for slave labor.

Really though the whole idea isn't to give the kid these expensive vacations and to buy his affections. The idea is just to hang out with him and provide some positive support in his otherwise shitty life. It's gonna depend on the kid, and the obvious focus is educational. What type of educational depends on both your personality and the kids personality.

Just ask him what he wants to do. Start from there.

Taking him to the gym might not actually be that bad. As long as it's not the gym that Keg goes to. Don't go trying to turn out twinks, pervert. But 14-15... if he gets swoll he gets pussy... and there's stuff you can teach him about physical fitness (and equally importantly as well as related -- hygiene). If he has the slightest interest in it.

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
As said above, the best thing you can do for this kid is just hang out with him...let him know not everything sucks(even though let's face it, it mostly does) and provide a positive atmosphere.

Not sure if you read it, it's one of those lame books that people often mock or ignore, but the "The Power of Habit", and I'm sure there are 15millions others similar such as the 7 Habits of Successful people or whatever. Anyway the point is that if you can instill just 1 positive habit, 1 daily routine of success and focus you really can transition your own(or someone else's) life. It's not really complicated and it's the same thing the military does or any successful organization.

The challenging part is taking the activity from something you just do to a true subconscious habit. Once you can do that you really start to apply the same methodology and approach to many different aspects of your life and the people around you. I think this is one of the big parts of AA too, which is a hugely successful program.

BoldW

Molten Core Raider
Find out what his interests are, first off. If you have one in common with him, work on getting him engaged in that. He might have one that you've been wanting to get into as well, which is kind of a bonus.

Anyone ever volunteered at humane society/animal shelter? I've been thinking of doing that.

Daidraco

I wouldn't mind doing things between just and him and I. But the program insists that I, if I can correctly quote this "It is highly encouraged that you give your selected child the opportunity to Volunteer and be in a highly social environment." Fishing, or playing games would be great, but I guess Ive set a goal to do something that he couldnt/wouldnt do on his own. The gym Im at is a work gym, and some of the guys I work with are real assholes. Real Judge Dredd kind of guys, in other words. I would be afraid the kid would have some pot on him or do/say something dumb around them.

Any volunteer programs that are easy to get into that are in most cities? Ive lived in the country all my childhood, the military after that and back in the country I am again. I just dont have any idea of whats out there when it comes to this type of stuff.

Sterling

El Presidente
You should get him to do some chores around your place all the while secretly teaching him karate.

Dyvim

Bronze Knight of the Realm
This, or you resort to some secret backyard shack where you introduce him to the dark arts, starting with proper skinning of animals.

Troll_sl

shitlord
I've been volunteering at the Oregon Food Bank recently. Went once cause someone (who ended up flaking) asked me to, and it felt good, so I'm continuing. Also, helps with my social anxiety. I'm around other people, but it's more like work, so my guard is lowered a little bit. But it's not work, and people are just talking.

Daidraco

I've been volunteering at the Oregon Food Bank recently. Went once cause someone (who ended up flaking) asked me to, and it felt good, so I'm continuing. Also, helps with my social anxiety. I'm around other people, but it's more like work, so my guard is lowered a little bit. But it's not work, and people are just talking.
Food Banks kind of relegate you to only a few types of people. Not that they are bad people, but its not very diverse. I would imagine an organization that is just highly involved with the community would be a lot better for anxiety and building social bonds. Simply because you're with an organization where you would be at the food bank one day this week, and at a City Ball the next in an effort to raise money for a cause. -- Ive found out that organizations vary widely from area to area and its really something you're going to have to work to find. Once you find them, all of them seem to appear at once. Go to Marathons, Fundraisers, things like that to get started.

If you're in a smaller community, Churches generally love for you to help them in their out reach whether you're a member of the congregation or not (for example). I rarely go to Church, but the Church I go to constantly has out reach programs that benefit the needy and disadvantaged. Unless someone asks, the only time you'll know they are members of a Church is when they are leaving which makes me love the Church that much more. (They arent out yelling from the roof tops that they are such and such church and to please donate all your moniez so the preacher can get a new Car!)

The kid on the other hand, I cant really get him involved in an organization like that. Kids his age have to really want to help people before you can get them involved. Church tends to leave a bad taste with people younger than 25 as well.) I did get him to the local Police Academy and he has had fun with that the couple times Ive had him (He loves setting up and helping to run the Physical Fitness Tests for recruits for some reason. Probably gets a kick out of the Fat people trying to run the course, or the short people trying to clear the Wall.)

Sparko

Silver Knight of the Realm
Lets be honest here, he prob wants to drink beer and fuck chicks like most guys.