VPN advice and recommendations

Moonball

Lord Nagafen Raider
PrivateInternetAccess is awesome. No logging either. I don't use it anymore due to seedbox, but used it for years with zero problems, and it was incredibly easy to use.

I also use PIA, easy and fast, no logging. I don't torrent, etc, I just dont want people looking at what I surf.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
PIA took a dump on me with their last update. Anybody else using one they recommend?

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
they pushed an update a few days ago and I haven't been able to connect since. perma - yellow/orange "connecting" icon. Tried uninstalling and reinstalling but no go.

Wake Up Man
<Banned>
Anyone try Invizbox? It’s a hardware Vpn/tor that you put in front of your entire network.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
they pushed an update a few days ago and I haven't been able to connect since. perma - yellow/orange "connecting" icon. Tried uninstalling and reinstalling but no go.

On v81? I've been using it since it came out and haven't had any problems with it. Can you connect to any of their servers?

• 1Like

dizzie

Triggered Happy
Am using PIA at the moment, used Torguard before for a couple of years. Both are pretty good. Not had any problems with PIA here am using v81 also.

• 1Like

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
I've been using nordvpn for about a month now and I find it works pretty well in terms of speed. It's accessible too which is nice.

• 1Like

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Maybe it wasn't the PIA update that caused the issue, as I downgraded to v 80 and still can't connect. Just shows as yellow connecting forever, never syncs up. Never had the issue before, added firewall exception for all PIA stuff, uninstalled, reinstalled, still can't work so I'll likely just try another. Probably this nordvpn.

dizzie

Triggered Happy
Maybe it wasn't the PIA update that caused the issue, as I downgraded to v 80 and still can't connect. Just shows as yellow connecting forever, never syncs up. Never had the issue before, added firewall exception for all PIA stuff, uninstalled, reinstalled, still can't work so I'll likely just try another. Probably this nordvpn.

Have you tried posting in their forums? Might be worth a punt.

galgor

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I live abroad in a country that filters it's internet... so I've gone through lots of VPN's. In terms of the basics of each VPN's business model and how secure they are, it might be worth it to check out the in-depth comparisons at ThatOnePrivacySite. Alternatively for something a bit easier to digest, check out the yearly post by TorrentFreak.

As for my own opinion... For the money/performance, NordVPN was the best. They had a 3-year plan for 75 bucks or so... though recently, sales like that are a rarity. Either way, easy to use and reliability is solid. I eventually changed to ExpressVPN. The performance is the best I've ever had, but your gonna pay through the nose for it at about $15/mo.

Last edited:

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
I can vouch for trust.zone being a decent cheapie one. You won't get many frills, and they don't have a huge number of servers, but I haven't had significant service gaps. Their other advantage is that they are in the Seychelles, which is a neutral country, so they will (in theory) get around the all of the major countries' dragnet surveillance (FVEY, Russia, China) if the alphabets from those countries are in your threat model.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.

Just use OpenVPN and configure it to connect to the PIA servers. The PIA client is dogshit and I've never used it, but the core service is great.

• 1Like

Jabberwhacky

Lord Nagafen Raider
I've been using Perfect-Privacy for over a year, and while the speeds for downloads and general purpose usage are great, there are two issues that have finally instigated me to switch.

1. Can't stream Twitch. The site loads quick as always, but the actual stream can't buffer 1080 and 720, and struggles with 480.

2. Every few minutes, there's a 1-3 second lag. This is not noticeable in normal websurfing or downloading torrents, but has very much gotten me killed in any active game like Path of Exile, any battle royale, or MOBA (for obvious reasons).

Are you guys having any issues with the VPNs you use in these two areas? I'm totally fine paying for high quality; I have an active subscription for PP. What I want is to keep the VPN on 100% of the time, but as it is, I've gotta have it off most of the time because Twitch and/or online gaming constitutes the majority of my internet usage.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
I've been using Perfect-Privacy for over a year, and while the speeds for downloads and general purpose usage are great, there are two issues that have finally instigated me to switch.

1. Can't stream Twitch. The site loads quick as always, but the actual stream can't buffer 1080 and 720, and struggles with 480.

2. Every few minutes, there's a 1-3 second lag. This is not noticeable in normal websurfing or downloading torrents, but has very much gotten me killed in any active game like Path of Exile, any battle royale, or MOBA (for obvious reasons).

Are you guys having any issues with the VPNs you use in these two areas? I'm totally fine paying for high quality; I have an active subscription for PP. What I want is to keep the VPN on 100% of the time, but as it is, I've gotta have it off most of the time because Twitch and/or online gaming constitutes the majority of my internet usage.

I would never use a VPN for online gaming or twitch unless I was out of country. You are only slowing yourself down for absolutely no benefit whatsoever. If you want to use a VPN for torrenting, create a VM, keep the VPN connected, and only torrent from that.