VR Gaming - Oculus Rift, Playstation VR, HTC Vive

Janx

<Silver Donator>
started playing in death unchained, archery style game and boy is it a good workout on the arms.
Decided that will be my goal for VR games, ones that are fun enough while providing a good workout or fitness.
trying to find a good shooter one but in the short time might give blade and sorcery a spin.
A lot of games are like that which is one of hte upsides of VR. DCS not so much but god damn VR flying titles (DCS, MSFS, even VTOL VR) are so impressive.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
started playing in death unchained, archery style game and boy is it a good workout on the arms.
Decided that will be my goal for VR games, ones that are fun enough while providing a good workout or fitness.
trying to find a good shooter one but in the short time might give blade and sorcery a spin.
VR always reminds me (the next day) how old and decrepit I am getting. Pain.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
Here's what you look like after a few hours when you ancient vr helmet has all the foam padding rot away

OIG2 (1).jpg

• 1Like

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
I had 2 warm days in a row here and did around 4 -5 hours each day in VRChat. Normally I'm nauseated after 2 or 3 but I didn't get sick at all this time.

I am using the teleport style movement, but I think I figured out that shorter avatars help. I've been using mostly a 4ish foot tall hobbity sized avatar the past few days and no sickness! They added a tool where you can size any avatar however you want which is really cool.

I also found the perfect size for my top and side straps. I had my side straps too loose and it was putting all the weight on my forehead.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Kinda wonder if they'll ever resume production tbh.

• 1Truth!

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
It would be right on brand for Sony, exit VR just as AR/VR hit their stride again in the next few years. Like they did with instant game collection, mobile gaming, IPTV and a number of other things... get there early (if not first) and then bounce and watch others be far more successful in the space they vacated.

• 1Like

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Making it compatible with PC may be an option but imagine the quest 3 would dominate that space being both wireless/self contained at a similar price point.

• 1Truth!

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I tried VR once, and kinda thought it was fun.

At the end of the day, there's simply no content for it that would make me want to buy a VR headset of any brand.

There's a few things here and there, but nothing that makes me say "I want this now", and as far as I am aware there's nothing in development that interest me.

For me right now, VR is an awesome tech is ahead of the content for it. It will be cool one day, just not now.

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Subnautica VR is the greatest gaming experience I have ever had. The team didn't even design that game with VR in mind, but everything about it just works. There is absolutely a killer app for VR, it just hasn't been made yet. I hope it does get made, would be sad if VR dies (again) and doesn't come back for another 20 years.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I think VR is only really interesting if you do it roomscale so you can look around freely and use your hands. SkyrimVR works pretty well for it once modded to remove some of the console-itis (VRIK player avatar that lets you actually sheathe a sword at your hip instead of just pushing some button on the controller etc). There's definitely moments where you lose yourself in it but you run up against a tech barrier sooner or later like the cord getting tangled, fov/resolution not being that great, teleport/slide movement that won't ever feel natural.

There's a bunch of casual stand-in-place games that work pretty well within the limits the tech has, but those just won't hold my attention for more than 30 minutes.

My most played VR title is actually Google Earth where you can just explore the world and get the best out of 360 degree views around the world.

• 1Like

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
The problem is definitely content. Half Life: Alyx is really the only top tier VR game I played while I had a headset and nothing has seemed as good since then. However, if they kept focus on actual gaming with a cable (optional) for Sim Racing they'd probably do well. Sim Racing is taking off like crazy but no one wants a headset that only lasts a few hours and is a huge pain in the ass to get working.

I think they could keep things afloat if they focused here but I just don't see that happening. They're going to keep focusing on dumb shit and it'll likely burn out.

Prodigal

Shitlord, Offender of the Universe
<Bronze Donator>
Minecraft VR isn't huge? Why? Seems like it would be a perfect fit.

I think it would be great if it wasn’t the perfect formula for motion sickness, even with teleport controls I’m pretty sure I’d be done in a few minutes.

• 1Like

Prodigal

Shitlord, Offender of the Universe
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah, added plus is people could lose 50-60 lbs. easy playing Skyrim VR.

• 1Like