War Thunder - MMO Combat Game

War Thunder is an MMO combat game dedicated to World War II military aviation, armored vehicles, and fleets. You will take part in all of the major combat battles, fighting with real players all over the world.

War Thunder offers a highly detailed and personalized aviation experience, giving players access to hundreds models of planes with detailed cockpits, dozens of upgradeable weapons, and flying skills that can be honed and improved with each mission. Thanks to the game's painstaking attention to detail, you'll truly feel like a World War II fighter pilot as you plunge into battle.

The genuine World War II experience isn't limited to the skies. The massive historical battles featured in War Thunder cannot be fought by aviation alone, so the game will also expose players to combat on land and at sea.
Features include:

Varied PvP-experiences set in full-scale combat missions
Multiple settings options allow advanced virtual pilots and beginners to enjoy playing the game together
Rich PvE content: dynamic campaigns, solo missions, mission editor, and much more for single-player and cooperative gameplay
Impressive diversity includes detailed models of planes and their cockpits, as well as tanks and ships
Astonishing graphics, authentic sound effects, and beautiful music
http://warthunder.com/

In beta, PvP/PvE F2P with functional currency/shop (no wipes), 40? people a map, Arcade Mode/Historical battles/Full Realistic Battles, Mouse Aim/Simplified Controls/Realistic Controls/Full Aircraft Controls, Achievements, Unlocks, levelling system, just tons of stuff.

I'm having a good time in it, maybe you will too.

Sneaky

Lord Nagafen Raider
The description is not 100% clear for me - will players be able to control tanks and ships as well, or only airplanes (which I don't care about)?

God forbid threads get started for games on this forum
Yeah, really.

The description is not 100% clear for me - will players be able to control tanks and ships as well, or only airplanes (which I don't care about)?
The land and sea component will be playable at some point, I'm not sure when though. There are two tabs in the game UI for them, but they're not currently operative.

Now for the anti-shill. Game has some issues, nothing really dealbreaking to me but still some annoying beta complaints nonetheless:

- Dev team doesn't seem to believe in patch notes.
- Servers brought down for patches or maintenance with hardly any notice, or ETA. After awhile though the unexpected becomes...expected. Especially if you can sorta read Russian.
- Matchmaking is currently semi-borked, sometimes you get fair same tier matches, other times a level 20 MiG-15 wrecks your team. Or theirs, if you have one.
- Russian planes are widely considered to be OP, with accusations of bias regarding the Russian dev team being common.
- Lot of planes have a placeholder flight model. And some of them areterrible.
- Servers are located in Eu/Russia only
- Getting one-shotted out of cockpit or getting a wing insta-gibbed is common and frustrating. So is riddling your enemy with cannon fire and nothing really happening.
- Planes ramming you and you go down in flames while they just fly on seemingly unaffected.
- You get rammed at least once every match. Often by friendlies too. Between both of them, sometimes you lose all your planes to ramming in a match.
- 4 man squads
- Repairs and such can be quite expensive, and depending on how badly your match went its quite possible to lose money when playing higher tier stuff (and I'm only at level 9)
- Get signed out of the server and sent back to main menu in the middle of a match for no apparent reason. Might be latency related, not really sure.

Still though, the game has its moments and its entertaining for now. YMMV.

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
Been somewhat keeping an eye on this, but more looking forward to World of Warplanes or whatever that shit is called from the same company that did World of Tanks.

Zhaun_sl

shitlord
Yeah, this sounds like World of Tanks, but instead of starting with tanks and branching out into planes and ships, they are starting with planes and branching out into tanks and ships? Is that right?

But it is still simmy WW2 stuff, yeah?

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Been a sucker for WW2 plane sims since Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe--plane combat looks done well, but it frightens me it was only shown for 10 seconds. Makes it seem like they are hiding something =-/.

Yeah, this sounds like World of Tanks, but instead of starting with tanks and branching out into planes and ships, they are starting with planes and branching out into tanks and ships? Is that right?

But it is still simmy WW2 stuff, yeah?
I've never played WoT but my friends that do, say its very similar (but less grindy?) And yes, that's right - starting with planes and then adding playable tanks and ships. The models for them are all ingame already and quite detailed. Simmy, yes as well - as much (realistic controls) or as little (mouse) sim as you want really. (flight model also takes into account bomb, fuel and ammo weights and it handles accordingly) Biplanes from WW1 all the way to some Korean War jets (Sabre, MiG-15) and everything in between. (mostly WWII stuff though)

Been a sucker for WW2 plane sims since Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe--plane combat looks done well, but it frightens me it was only shown for 10 seconds. Makes it seem like they are hiding something =-/.
No need to hide anything, it looks quite good and is very playable once you get into it. Maybe check out some youtube vidya of gameplay to check it out first before downloading the 6gb. Heres a guy in a P-40 ragin out:

Zhaun_sl

shitlord
Doesn't look too bad. In my old age I'm still more interested in the ship combat than I am the planes and tanks, but that seems to be last on everyone's list.

I really liked WW2 flight sim types when I was younger, but I think I found from a design standpoint that sticking to a historical era is just a pain from a design, simulation and balance perspective. I'd really like to see an "Alternate Earth WW2" style game, as the rough technology level is excellent, but just not being constrained by historical limitations would be liberating and let you design things along gameplay lines.

But anyways, this is an interesting competetor to World of Tanks.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Kind of meh on starting with planes, as I have zero interest in flying anything, ever.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Kind of meh on starting with planes, as I have zero interest in flying anything, ever.
Especially with shitty flight models. I'm pretty sure that guy would have torn that poor P-40 in half like 8 times in that video. He hit almost 700 mph in the first diving dog fight, WHILE ROLLING lol.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Especially with shitty flight models. I'm pretty sure that guy would have torn that poor P-40 in half like 8 times in that video. He hit almost 700 mph in the first diving dog fight, WHILE ROLLING lol.
lol, I noticed that too---God damn wolverine of P40's right there.

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
I've read about this game a bit and I'm pretty sure that guy is playing Arcade mode which isn't very realistic. There are two more modes that are increasingly more accurate (and more difficult to fly).

Itzena_sl

shitlord
Of course you do know the game has both Arcade and Historic modes, right? I mean, you wouldn't just be judging it on a single Youtube video without doing anything more, because that would besilly.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Of course you do know the game has both Arcade and Historic modes, right? I mean, you wouldn't just be judging it on a single Youtube video without doing anything more, because that would besilly.
I sure would, cause I'm one silly bitch.

P-40E had a max speed of like TREE FIDDY. Guy's flying with wheels down at that speed, lol. I mean, arcade is supposed to be relaxed realism, not turning SWOTL into Tie Fighter.

Oldbased

> Than U
Ya in arcade mode the game is forgiving of flight models. In the other modes doing dives at full speed will rip your wings off and so forth. Arcade is just that arcade.
They have a US server already set up , but until more than 4000 US players play WT at peak, it will not be activated.
You can all but eliminate being pilot one shot by increasing Vitality in skills. It REALLY does help.

Been playing this awhile now and stopped playing WOT pretty much since I saw the tank trees coming. Half tracks and aa trucks and actual ww2 tanks instead of 500 tanks that was only on paper? I'm there!

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Ya in arcade mode the game is forgiving of flight models. In the other modes doing dives at full speed will rip your wings off and so forth. Arcade is just that arcade.
They have a US server already set up , but until more than 4000 US players play WT at peak, it will not be activated.
You can all but eliminate being pilot one shot by increasing Vitality in skills. It REALLY does help.

Been playing this awhile now and stopped playing WOT pretty much since I saw the tank trees coming. Half tracks and aa trucks and actual ww2 tanks instead of 500 tanks that was only on paper? I'm there!
Meh, the problem with realistic flight models is that unless you 'incentivize' it by making arcade award no points or whatever, people will flock to the easy mode. I hope that's the case, or at least the effect on the world is limited to real mode vs 'lol hey guys I'm glad you spent 5 hours training how to lob 14.5" shells in that Iowa class, but we lost our port from arcade mode destroyer frogger while you three old guys fucked around in the reenactment map'.

Zhaun_sl

shitlord
Yeah, do arcade and sim level flight mode guys fight in the same arenas for the same points? Seems like an awful disadvantage.