WarCraft (2016)

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
What a great movie. LOTR dethroned for good. I really enjoyed it.

Sure, it's probably terrible from a movie enthusiasts point of view, bordering into B-movie, but if super hero comic faggots can get five fucking movies every year that are just loosely connected action sequences, then we get to have this one, okay?

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
I'm a huge fan of Warcraft, and I really enjoyed this movie. Warcraft is a story that is not super easy to get into movie form, and I think they did the best they could and it was not perfect but really entertaining. I went with the wife and a friend who both knew almost nothing about Warcraft and they both liked it and although they had a few questions about the story afterwards, they said the story was interesting and they'd like to see more in sequels, so I'd say that's a good result.

The visuals were amazing, the design was very close to the Warcraft designs and I enjoyed that. There were a few differences to the story but they are mostly nitpicks and I understand it's impossible to adapt everything faithfully, kind of like ASOIAF books and GOT series have character and design differences sometimes..

People love to hate video game movies, AND people love to hate Warcraft, so it's bound to attract a bunch of haters anyway.

If you're on the fence only because of the bad press, I'd say give it a shot anyway and see for yourself, you just may like what you see.

Chris

Potato del Grande
I closed an early guardian review half way through because it was littered with sjw shit about how they did their best making the "stroyless" WoW have a story but it was a right wing take on the refugee crisis and racist because orcs are darker than white humans and durotan had paler skin because he is a good guy.

This story was written in 1993/4... its Warcraft 1.

I don't think that regular critics will get this. I'm going to see it anyway because I want to see what they did as a Warcraft fan, but if on the fence I'd be waiting to hear from you guys or a gamer reviewer like AngryJoe.

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
Just caught up with all the Overwatch cinematics and I can imagine somebody that doesn't know Blizzard to think they're the next Pixar.
Then I look at this movie and my heart sinks every time. I want to be optimistic, and there aren't any Wayans about, but my doubts are strong with this one.

As an aside, one of the reasons WoW faded with me was the art direction. I laugh because the art changes in this, mainly with scaling, confirm that oversized is shit.

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
I closed an early guardian review half way through because it was littered with sjw shit about how they did their best making the "stroyless" WoW have a story but it was a right wing take on the refugee crisis and racist because orcs are darker than white humans and durotan had paler skin because he is a good guy.

This story was written in 1993/4... its Warcraft 1.

I don't think that regular critics will get this. I'm going to see it anyway because I want to see what they did as a Warcraft fan, but if on the fence I'd be waiting to hear from you guys or a gamer reviewer like AngryJoe.
The last Hobbit movie felt racist towards Orcs in this way.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Just caught up with all the Overwatch cinematics and I can imagine somebody that doesn't know Blizzard to think they're the next Pixar.
Then I look at this movie and my heart sinks every time. I want to be optimistic, and there aren't any Wayans about, but my doubts are strong with this one.

As an aside, one of the reasons WoW faded with me was the art direction. I laugh because the art changes in this, mainly with scaling, confirm that oversized is shit.
Thought Blizzard doesnt make their own cinematics?

amigo

Lord Nagafen Raider
This is getting smashed as hard as RFC farmed by a full group of lvl60s... 19% on RT.
Which makes me feel a little better now (yeah, Blizz raped my puppy named Diablo).

Szlia

This is not horrible, but between a somewhat messy script, the weirdest out of nowhere romance and a serious lack of charismatic actors (I would save Ben Foster and Ruth Negga- oh and Glenn Close in a cameo), this is not very good. The obvious danger of looking like a cosplay convention is not totally avoided. On the up side, there is the fact the conflict is seen from both sides and that both sides are fragmented, which is not that typical in the fantasy genre (a quality obviously already there in the source material).

Lleauaric

Sparkletot Monger
Warcraft(2016) - Rotten Tomatoes

Imagine Battlefield Earth without the verve, or the unintentional comedy.
6a76f4a3-4ad2-4ae2-8a3b-c092e85586af.jpg

526e5db01605fb0add0001e8.jpg

hi-res-11ebb73cb4d6cea37f0bd33c605110dc_crop_north.jpg

Palum

what Suineg set it to
This is not horrible, but between a somewhat messy script, the weirdest out of nowhere romance and a serious lack of charismatic actors (I would save Ben Foster and Ruth Negga- oh and Glenn Close in a cameo), this is not very good. The obvious danger of looking like a cosplay convention is not totally avoided. On the up side, there is the fact the conflict is seen from both sides and that both sides are fragmented, which is not that typical in the fantasy genre (a quality obviously already there in the source material).
I just don't understand how they can fuck it up with all the nonsense. Like the original story was pretty simple and straightforward... just do that and make the humans the good guys. Instead it looks like once again they decided to try and do the 'noble savage' thing with the Orcs because I'm pretty sure they have massive green dildos on every chair and you can only work at Blizzard if you take it in the ass all day long while sitting there.

Too bad, I was hoping for at least a marginally bad fantasy film instead of this but the reviews are eviscerating it.

Fadaar

That guy
Also doesn't help that this movie is about 8 years past being relevant. Warcraft died when Cataclysm was released far as I'm concerned.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Just saw this. The problems are two-fold:

- Too much CGI, and it's of really uneven quality (some of the spell casting looks Uwe Boll level of game movie CGI)
- Plot is very basic, without the slightest surprises (even if you don't know the Warcraft lore, most of it is telegraphied)

It's still mildly enjoyable, probably a bit above X-Men. The Gul'dan brawl with Durotan is a nice touch. You enjoy the sprinkling of the various WoW easter eggs (including the murloc fisher in the Elwynn forest stream).

I guess the best thing you can say about it is that it's probably one of the best videogame movies ever. Since the bar isn't high.