Warhammer 40,000 Novels

Taloo_sl

shitlord
I mean if you list the ones that you've liked I can try and recommend the remainder that you might enjoy. Battle for the Abyss is the only really dog shit terrible book imo. Mechanicum is just kind of eh and outta left field. Lot of folks don't like Legion and I hated it on the first pass. Actually kind of like it now though. The Cabal is all around retarded but I like John. Flight is kind of weak. Dark Angels novels are kind of ?? although I do like the first book ending aside and really liked Zahariel as a character. Nemesis was kind of just who gives a shit about this, same with Pythos. Angel Exterminatus wasn't to my taste Perturabo aside. Outcast Dead is another self contained none of this matters but we need to introduce some minor characters novel. Vulkan Lives wasn't to my taste. Deathfire was better but is still a novellas worth of story in a novel sized package. All three or so of the books that aren't named in this post are just okay. They tell a story worth telling but aren't remarkable. Shit happens and the story progresses can't complain.

In no particular order First Heretic, Fulgrim, opening trilogy, Betrayer, Fear to Tread, Vengeful Spirit(not sold on the new plot points but enjoyed the book), Scars, A Thousand Sons, and Prospero Burns would be my own "short list" as of now. Burns doesn't really belong due to the plot being... but I just love how it handles the Space Wolves and I enjoy the outsiders perspective narrative. Abnett is quite good at driving home just how post human the astartes are in that exact manner. The novels without much human involvement kind of... forget that space marines are absolute freaks of nature and that the Primarchs can obliterate the strongest of them with almost effortless disdain if they so choose.
Fulgrim strangling a god damn Avatar with his bare hands anyone? The dude is the effete prissy one ffs.

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
I actually LOVED Angel Exterminatus. I never gave a shit about Purturabo and thought his reason for turning (that everyone just considers him a weaker clone of Rogal Dorn) was just whining because that is what he was. The novel just makes him into maybe the most rational primarch that came down on the traitor side because he really was taken for granted. Also, assisting with Angron's transformation is fun to read about.

Taloo_sl

shitlord
I actually LOVED Angel Exterminatus. I never gave a shit about Purturabo and thought his reason for turning (that everyone just considers him a weaker clone of Rogal Dorn) was just whining because that is what he was. The novel just makes him into maybe the most rational primarch that came down on the traitor side because he really was taken for granted. Also, assisting with Angron's transformation is fun to read about.
Yeah I should have qualified it. I absolutely loved how they portrayed Perturabo. It was perfect and I cannot wait to see where they take him next. But the Loyalist PoV and the Emperor's Children stuff was just mediocre at best to me and that one aspect being great wasn't enough to carry the book for me.

PosterOfStuff_sl

shitlord
The portrayal of Perturabo was what kept me reading the Angel Exterminatus.

The authors do have issues keeping up standards though, I don't think the character Fulgrim has been as interesting or a engaging since he was first introduced.

Taloo_sl

shitlord
Bumping since I just finished the last of what's been released since Deathfire. Enjoyed Path of Heaven but it wasn't any thing vlis to how amazing Scars was. Pharos was okay. Anthologies where half the stories are shit that's already been released are fucking infuriating as always.

Lleauaric

Sparkletot Monger
Anyone know where to get the story where Cypher was working with Abaddon, who was unknowingly working for the Deceiver, Abaddon pisses Cypher off somehow and he fucks Abaddon up on the bridge of his ship.

Kinda dying to read that.

Taloo_sl

shitlord
Anyone know where to get the story where Cypher was working with Abaddon, who was unknowingly working for the Deceiver, Abaddon pisses Cypher off somehow and he fucks Abaddon up on the bridge of his ship.

Kinda dying to read that.
Current time line or heresy? Haven't seen it anywhere yet but I'll pm you if I do. Honestly I barely bother keeping track these days.

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
Would like to read this too, there is a short in cyphers data slate where he shows up on board abanddon's ship and kills a few black legion for speaking out of turn but that is not as in depth as what you describe.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
There has never been a dark angels story that wasn't completely retarded, and that includes the HH stories.

Taloo_sl

shitlord
Entirely true. Which is a shame, loved the Caliban part of the first book and the Thramas Crusade novella.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Just started this, 3 books in after 5 days or so.

Been sucked in by WH40k lore in the past year (youtube videos / wiki), decided to take the plunge and try reading the lore. Its fucking amazing. But, I hit a wall 30pages into Eisenstien.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
Are there any novels set in the timeline of their new fall of cadia books along the lines of end times for the fantasy?

Screamfeeder

The Dirtbag
<Banned>
Are there any novels set in the timeline of their new fall of cadia books
That's the 13th Black Crusade. You have a few. Soul Hunter, Grey Knights Omnibus, Ciphas Cain books and a few others dealing with parts of it. If you are looking for the most recent stuff about the timeline, I believe the Gathering Storm stuff is most recent. Pretty sure the canon year is still around 000.M42 (Ciphas Cain books might allude beyond it but I can't remember.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
I prefer Arch Warhammer / Tacital Imperialis / Leutin09 / 40k Theories (youtube channels).

Just finished Flight of the Eisenstien (few days ago) . . . had to spoiler everything so I am glad Garro / Loken make it through the long haul. But some of the guys dying off really sucked, Saul Tarvitz etc. And the half heard I think makes it through to the grey knights.

Got a MAM invite to get all of the Horus audio books, but don't have the upload credit to actually download the damn torrent. Lol

You guys that are current, the Fall of Cadia really that bad?

Bloodrocuted

Trakanon Raider
At this point the author determines whether I read the book or not. Definitely read everything by Dan Abnett, Aaron Dembski Bowden, Graham McNeill, and most of James Swallows stuff. The rest is pretty bad imo.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Reread all of: Eisenhorn trilogy, Ravenor trilogy. Currently rereading all of: Gaunt's Ghosts.

Wish Abnett would write more, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's burned out. These books fill the gap while waiting for: The Name of the Wind and LightBringer sequels.