Warhammer 40,000 Novels

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
never connected the thing with the idea that the whole HH and the 10k years of fascist imperium was all a "just as planned" plan-thing of the emperor
Is there a camp that think the Emporer planned on the HH happening and foresaw himself on the Golden Throne? Besides the obvious torture of the GT, I don't think he could have planned it since his ultimate goal was no belief and the eradicaiton of all other intelligent life. This would mean the Chaos gods have little to no power since the only beings that can fuel their power are either agnostic or completely atheist. The only good part about the God-Emporer phenomenon is that if he were to die and become a warp entity then his power would already be quite immense through all the worship he already receives.

Taloo_sl

shitlord
Is there a camp that think the Emporer planned on the HH happening and foresaw himself on the Golden Throne? Besides the obvious torture of the GT, I don't think he could have planned it since his ultimate goal was no belief and the eradicaiton of all other intelligent life. This would mean the Chaos gods have little to no power since the only beings that can fuel their power are either agnostic or completely atheist. The only good part about the God-Emporer phenomenon is that if he were to die and become a warp entity then his power would already be quite immense through all the worship he already receives.
Not that I'm aware. Things diverged from his plan during the Heresy. Didn't really understand what fucker was saying there in the context of a reply to what I posted.

fucker_sl

shitlord
yeah i did not read that book already, but what im talking about is just a hypotesys that the current Imperium was a planned thing the Emperor saw as necessary to really free humanity from the need of divinity

Friday

Lord Nagafen Raider
I just read Descent of Angels. I thought it was great until the ending. Its like the author ran out of time and just summarized everything with no explanation. Pretty lame.

Taloo_sl

shitlord
Mark of Calth has been meh so far. About half way in and just haven't cared enough to take the time to read it.

Campbell1oo4

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I've only read about half of the books, and I enjoy the scenes where the Emperor shows up immensely. You could even say I read the books just to catch glimpses of the Emperor. I find the character very interesting. That being said, should I go about reading the other half of the books? Or do they primarily focus on Horus and the Primarchs? Rather than the Emperor himself.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
As long as he doesn't write any of them, because his eldar books are among the worst 40k books in print, and that's saying something when you consider that C.S. Goto and Henry Zhou also write 40k books.

Just finished reading Blood Pact and Salvation's Reach, I really feel like Abnett is setting the readers up for a really gut-wrenching end of the series. Like, Kolea, Tona, and Dalin all dying at the same time gut-wrenching. I mean he really was delivering some hard shots in Armour of Contempt and Only In Death, Blood Pact and Salvation's Reach seem very mild in comparison, so I assume he's planning on ending the series with some real nastiness.

Vardisk_sl

shitlord
So I just finished reading Horus Rising as my very first Warhammer 40K book. What is the order the Horus Heresy books should be read in? I'm having a hard time finding a proper list of them all. Is the series even done yet, I'm assuming they end with Horus vs. Jesus? Also, since I've heard a lot about some Warhammer 40K books being absolutely atrocious, which ones should just be skipped cause they are just bad?

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
Horus Rising is good. However don't just stick to that. Read Eisenhorn, Ravenor trilogies and if you want Gaunts Ghosts. Dan Abnett gets you into the setting and is fuck awesome.

fucker_sl

shitlord
yeah. Necropolis was the thing that got me into 40k (the next main factor was DoW1). i picked it out of curiosity when i found an old italian version in the "used" section of a local library (the old publisher stoped to distribute them so they are pretty rare in italy). i was simply blown away by it

i still have a lot to read, but so far the only real terrible books i've read were the Dawn of War books from C.S. Goto. Avoid them like nurgle plague

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
C.S. Goto is definitely the worst author in the entire Black Library, although Henry Zhou is a strong contender.

Dan Abnett and Graham McNeill are the two heavyweight authors in the Black Library, Aaron Dembski-Bowden is a rising star. Honestly, the only authors you really need to avoid are Goto, Zhou, and Gav Thorpe. Ben Counter has written some real shitfests, including what is arguably the single worst book of the entire Heresy series, but the Soul Drinkers series is fantastic imo. Basically, aside from the ones I mentioned by name, Black Library authors will generally deliver exactly what you'd expect for a sci-fi novel written in a pre-existing setting.