Warhammer 40k: Chaos Gate

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I watched some of this on Twitch and it looks like there are some interesting concepts wrapped in my favorite setting; please tell me it is good enough to buy.
Same thought - I actually really like Xcom and if this is a pretty good copy/paste with Warhammer cosmetics, Im down.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Haven't beaten the game yet but pretty close, you start off as Grey Knights in name only, you are weak, you are on level with a wet paper bag. If you know the lore this will bother you, later you grow into what the lore says they are. My guess is video game has to video game. Only reason I can't play this game for longer durations is the movement between combat, it takes FOREVER to get get your squad across the map. Hopefully there is a mod that either speeds up the animation 300% or allow you to issue another move order before the last guy is done moving.

It is X-Com with perfect information, no more 99% chance to hit bullshit. Also no more creeping around the map between engagements. You auto reload and gain all AP back once you spot the enemy.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Haven't beaten the game yet but pretty close, you start off as Grey Knights in name only, you are weak, you are on level with a wet paper bag. If you know the lore this will bother you, later you grow into what the lore says they are. My guess is video game has to video game. Only reason I can't play this game for longer durations is the movement between combat, it takes FOREVER to get get your squad across the map. Hopefully there is a mod that either speeds up the animation 300% or allow you to issue another move order before the last guy is done moving.

It is X-Com with perfect information, no more 99% chance to hit bullshit. Also no more creeping around the map between engagements. You auto reload and gain all AP back once you spot the enemy.
You playing with or without the Dreadnought DLC? It's been absolutely massacred in reviews.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Just base game, will check out the DLC if I feel like I need more once credits roll.
36% positive in reviews. Apparently you can only use the Dread in special DLC missions, so like 1 out of 5 campaign missions assuming nothing happens to make you skip one in favor of something more important.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Roll credits at 28 hours, last mission was long as fuck. Cool game, never want to play it again.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Well that's a very mixed opinion.
Most games I don't beat these days so like Sekiro, cool game never want to play it again. If someone does a long war type mod I will check it out but as is there was enough to keep my interest but not enough variations to warrant a replay.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Most games I don't beat these days so like Sekiro, cool game never want to play it again. If someone does a long war type mod I will check it out but as is there was enough to keep my interest but not enough variations to warrant a replay.
Not even a 15 dollar dreadnought you can barely use?

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
Wanted to like this, but fuck it's a struggle to get through. Everything takes forever. Loved XCOM and I love 40k so I'm not sure why I don't have the motivation to finish it.

Daidraco

I just saw a short video of gameplay for this DLC, much less the first time Ive really actually paid attention to the game. Is this as addicting as Xcom2 by any chance? Does it have team building? World building? Ship/base upgrades? etc.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I just saw a short video of gameplay for this DLC, much less the first time Ive really actually paid attention to the game. Is this as addicting as Xcom2 by any chance? Does it have team building? World building? Ship/base upgrades? etc.
TLDR: It doesn't even begin to approach Xcom2. That being said it's still a reasonably fun and innovative entry to the turn-based strategy genre but holy fuck does it have some flaws. I really only recommend it if you're a fan of both the game genre and the 40k setting, but if you're a fan of both you should be fairly entertained.

The #1 flaw being the horrible design mistakes they made with the Duty Eternal DLC and refused to change despite a resounding chorus of complaints from their player base. The incredibly low completion rate of Execution Force achievements (the second DLC) makes it pretty clear that they drove most of players away and I wonder whether or not they really understand that. Also still a lot of little issues like the other day I ran into a mission with a glorious deed that wasn't actually possible to complete because of the mission type, but since I was on a 90 day crusade to attempt all deeds I had to eat the doubled penalty for failure.

To elaborate on what's wrong with the Duty Eternal DLC, similar to X-Com the game generates three random missions every so many days except instead of only picking one you go to as many as your ship can reach before they expire, with there being a strategic layer penalty for every mission you miss. When you have Duty Eternal an early in game event will make it so one of these missions is always a Technophage mission, which is a much harder mission balanced around having the dreadnought with you as a free fifth member, except the dreadnought doesn't actually join you until quite a bit later. While they aren't impossible they are incredible dangerous and grueling early on and attempting them substantially increases the chances of starting a failure cascade into campaign failure, but skipping them deprives you of resources from mission completion in addition to the strategic layer penalty for missed missions. Specifically the dreadnought's permanent recruitment mission is gated behind a significant early story mission that there can be an incentive to delay.

Instead of fixing the fundamentally broken nature of Duty Eternal they tried to use Execution Force as something of a band-aid fix by letting you have your pick of one of the four assassin types for free on Day 60. I say something of a band-aid fix because if you choose Vindicare, Culexus, or Eversor, not much changes right away. If you choose Callidus, go take a nap while she carries you you through the early game. She has miserable late-game scaling but her abilities completely break the early and midgame, to the point where there are videos of her effectively soloing legendary difficulty technophage missions. I'm a glutton for punishment so I started with Culexus instead.

If you play through blind, you are quite likely to fail at least once due to mismanaging the strategic layer of the game just because there's really no way to be fully prepared without foreknowledge.

Gonna stop there before I turn this into a full fledged novel, if you want to know more just ask.

• 2Like

Daidraco

TLDR: It doesn't even begin to approach Xcom2. That being said it's still a reasonably fun and innovative entry to the turn-based strategy genre but holy fuck does it have some flaws. I really only recommend it if you're a fan of both the game genre and the 40k setting, but if you're a fan of both you should be fairly entertained.

The #1 flaw being the horrible design mistakes they made with the Duty Eternal DLC and refused to change despite a resounding chorus of complaints from their player base. The incredibly low completion rate of Execution Force achievements (the second DLC) makes it pretty clear that they drove most of players away and I wonder whether or not they really understand that. Also still a lot of little issues like the other day I ran into a mission with a glorious deed that wasn't actually possible to complete because of the mission type, but since I was on a 90 day crusade to attempt all deeds I had to eat the doubled penalty for failure.

To elaborate on what's wrong with the Duty Eternal DLC, similar to X-Com the game generates three random missions every so many days except instead of only picking one you go to as many as your ship can reach before they expire, with there being a strategic layer penalty for every mission you miss. When you have Duty Eternal an early in game event will make it so one of these missions is always a Technophage mission, which is a much harder mission balanced around having the dreadnought with you as a free fifth member, except the dreadnought doesn't actually join you until quite a bit later. While they aren't impossible they are incredible dangerous and grueling early on and attempting them substantially increases the chances of starting a failure cascade into campaign failure, but skipping them deprives you of resources from mission completion in addition to the strategic layer penalty for missed missions. Specifically the dreadnought's permanent recruitment mission is gated behind a significant early story mission that there can be an incentive to delay.

Instead of fixing the fundamentally broken nature of Duty Eternal they tried to use Execution Force as something of a band-aid fix by letting you have your pick of one of the four assassin types for free on Day 60. I say something of a band-aid fix because if you choose Vindicare, Culexus, or Eversor, not much changes right away. If you choose Callidus, go take a nap while she carries you you through the early game. She has miserable late-game scaling but her abilities completely break the early and midgame, to the point where there are videos of her effectively soloing legendary difficulty technophage missions. I'm a glutton for punishment so I started with Culexus instead.

If you play through blind, you are quite likely to fail at least once due to mismanaging the strategic layer of the game just because there's really no way to be fully prepared without foreknowledge.

Gonna stop there before I turn this into a full fledged novel, if you want to know more just ask.
Sounds like it'll piss me off - eventually. Instead of buying it at full pop, Ill just wait for it to go on sale. Thanks

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE

You can be as mean or honest as you want here:

would I like it?

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
You can be as mean or honest as you want here:

would I like it?
Hard to say for sure, either way I recommend waiting for a sale (it's discounted pretty frequently). The actual gameplay is fairly fun and the design of the game heavily encourages a much more aggressive pace than most turn based strategy games. They do a great job with the setting and once the campaign gets going you really feel like you're controlling Grey Knights and not just random chumps. Being forewarned about some of the issues makes them a lot less aggravating too, rather than stumbling into them blind.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Fired this back up a couple days ago to finish it so I could formally clear it off the backlog, I knew I had started the endgame sequence but I didn't realize I was only 1 missions before the finale.

The end mission was pretty fun, felt like a lot less of a slog than say, the XCom 2 finale. You have to assemble two squads, the vanguard that fights the final boss with <redacted> and the rear guard that keeps reinforcements from joining the boss fight. Fortunately I did a lot of gear farming so I had no trouble fully kitting two squads in top tier stuff. You're allowed to bring the Dreadnought with the rear guard but mine was unavailable (another amateurish oversight), but I was playing on normal difficulty so I handled it just fine with out the dread despite a squad comp that wasn't terribly optimal.

The final boss is Mortarion and the demonic plague ravaging the subsector that is the centerpiece of the story is nothing more than Mortarion seeking petty revenge against Kaldor Draigo (A previous chapter master of the Grey Knights who was cursed to wander through the warp for the rest of his life) for humiliating him in a battle. They nailed the feeling of the setting throughout the game and capped it off with a reveal that really captures 40k.

My previous criticisms of the campaign gameplay all still stand, they started with a decent XCom-alike (although really it feels most heavily influenced by Gears Tactics) at release and then almost every decision they made post-release was bad, from terribly designed DLC to unwarranted gameplay nerfs that crippled every gameplay style other than hyper-aggressive melee. The framework was sound and I don't think the game flopped so if they could learn the appropriate lessons they could go on to make a truly superb followup.

• 2Like

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Fired this back up a couple days ago to finish it so I could formally clear it off the backlog, I knew I had started the endgame sequence but I didn't realize I was only 1 missions before the finale.

The end mission was pretty fun, felt like a lot less of a slog than say, the XCom 2 finale. You have to assemble two squads, the vanguard that fights the final boss with <redacted> and the rear guard that keeps reinforcements from joining the boss fight. Fortunately I did a lot of gear farming so I had no trouble fully kitting two squads in top tier stuff. You're allowed to bring the Dreadnought with the rear guard but mine was unavailable (another amateurish oversight), but I was playing on normal difficulty so I handled it just fine with out the dread despite a squad comp that wasn't terribly optimal.

The final boss is Mortarion and the demonic plague ravaging the subsector that is the centerpiece of the story is nothing more than Mortarion seeking petty revenge against Kaldor Draigo (A previous chapter master of the Grey Knights who was cursed to wander through the warp for the rest of his life) for humiliating him in a battle. They nailed the feeling of the setting throughout the game and capped it off with a reveal that really captures 40k.

My previous criticisms of the campaign gameplay all still stand, they started with a decent XCom-alike (although really it feels most heavily influenced by Gears Tactics) at release and then almost every decision they made post-release was bad, from terribly designed DLC to unwarranted gameplay nerfs that crippled every gameplay style other than hyper-aggressive melee. The framework was sound and I don't think the game flopped so if they could learn the appropriate lessons they could go on to make a truly superb followup.
But they won’t learn. Self-righteous and blind to any and all criticism.