Wartales

BrotherWu

MAGA
<Silver Donator>

It doesn't seem to be particularly well known but I think it is going in a good direction and I want to support it. You build a team of mercenaries and try to rise to greatness. Tradeskills are simple minigames.

It's a little pricey for EA but worth a look on sale, especially if this is your type of thing. Still a lot to be fleshed out but they seem to be listening to feedback.

1645468355982.png

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

cyrusreij

Trakanon Raider
It has the potential to be the next generation of Battle Brothers. Which is an all time favorite of mine. I bought it and played a bunch, waiting until it is finished to pick it up again.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Looks cool, is the kind of game I get into. I'd want to know why I should play this over another run through Kenshi or Bannerlord though.

BrotherWu

MAGA
<Silver Donator>
Looks cool, is the kind of game I get into. I'd want to know why I should play this over another run through Kenshi or Bannerlord though.

I have a shitload of time in Bannerlord (and Warband even more) but something about it is just soulless. This is something to do while you wait three months for the mouthbreathers at TW to release a new sheep texture.

• 1Worf

velk

Trakanon Raider
This game is pretty fun. Criticism that it's a watered down battle brothers is entirely fair, it *cough* borrows *cough* heavily from the BB game concept.

Combat is more x-com'ish though, and is obviously shinier than BB.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
This is full release tomorrow. Looks like my dad and I will be picking it up and trying out the co-op. Battle Brothers is one of his favorite games with ~250 hours played. I’ve been following it for a long time, looks like a pretty cool world to just chill out in and do whatever you feel like doing.

Anyone played this co-op? Watched a video and it seemed cool. Couldn’t tell what the other person was seeing but he’d kind of talk about what his screen would do when the main person was doing things.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm

Looks pretty interesting, though I really have no idea at all if it's my kind of game or not. I like SRPGs a lot, but I punt anything that involves a lot of micromanagement. Never heard of Battle Brothers before this so I don't have a point of reference there.

BrotherWu

MAGA
<Silver Donator>
I have played both Battle Brothers and WarTales and WarTales was much more to my liking. I did feel that it was a little too difficult to keep enough cash flowing to pay the team and that made it feel like I was constantly chasing wages instead of progressing. Sounds like they have made some improvements to that area.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Picked it up and am enjoying it a lot more than I thought I would. Just wandering around a pretty world doing tasks, building my camp up. Difficulty seems about right for me on the medium setting. I’ve have lost a couple mercenaries and a pony, been low on resources a couple times, but I’ve been able to claw my way back up, rehire. Complete a few more missions.

This is the kind of game I was hoping Battle Brothers would be. Challenging, chill, not a lot of BS RNG like Battle Bros. I also feel like I’ve barely scratched the surface, there’s so many ways of playing. It also made time fly, I lost track of time I was so engrossed in it. Oops sorry kid, guess we’re ordering pizza for dinner ^^

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I played this for about 10-20ish hours a couple months ago. Maybe things have changed, but the game becomes pretty stale/dull rather quickly. The combat and such is all fine for the genre, but the general gameplay loop became rather boring to me.

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I’m still digging it. Just got into the second area. Have realized as I figure more things out that I’ve fucked up a lot so kind of ready to start a new group. Got very close to being wiped out several times but have been able to claw my way back so far so I’m just still moving forward with my first playthrough.

Xerge

<Donor>
Buddy and I got into this and really digging it. Coop is nice as it lets you and your homie control characters separately

turbo

Molten Core Raider
as always best comps require different classes but whats feeling like the most OP damage dealer at this point. Havent played for a while and might fire it up.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
as always best comps require different classes but whats feeling like the most OP damage dealer at this point. Havent played for a while and might fire it up.
It depends on how the enemies are situated. Right now I’m kind of pushing enemies into a group then poison bombing or poison dagger ae for big numbers and the consistent poison damage. Recently added a couple spearmen and the spear chucker bleed attack has been nice to hit two guys in a row, then ranged poke them and stay out of combat. A couple shield guys to clog them up/tank. Have one 2h sword dude that can do some big AE numbers.

Found a huge legendary (or unique? Whatever this game’s term is) mace that does huge numbers and knocks everyone way back but you have to set up the swing then trigger it next round. Was really nice when you could line it up but was not reliable so ditched it.

velk

Trakanon Raider

I haven't played in a bit, but on harder difficulty you were always outnumbered by quite a lot, so damage dealer wasn't really a thing, as rogues and archers could neither engage an enemy nor kill an enemy by themselves.

IIRC sword/board heavy armor was the way to go, abusing the riposte skill, although you could also get bear pets that were over the level cap, which worked well too - I assume they fixed this though.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Played co-op for the first time tonight with my dad, ended up playing 4.5 hours, was a lot of fun. Planning on doing a session once a week or so, should be a long campaign.

• 1Like

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Been playing this off and on for that few weeks and am up to an average level of 6, with half the providences done. It's pretty good for a low fantasy setting; almost no magical beings other than zombies and ghost animals.

On normal difficulty all the classes work (so far), although I favored heavy armor when there was an option for it. Keeping enough gold is the main problem, which can be overcome, if you want to look up the optimal trade route. Enemy group size is correlated to the size of your group, so I have 1 character for every trade skill, and no more. Pack mules do not add to enemy count, so I have had 3 for most of the game, so far, but just grabbed a 4th. Be aware: any animal that can enter combat will increase enemy numbers.

My band is:
  • 2 tanks to lock down enemies (w/ shields and dmg redux abilities)
  • 2 spearmen (1 w/ bleed throw, 1 w/ a overwatch that halts movement/attacks)
  • 1 2H AoE Maceman
  • 1 2H AoE Axeman
  • 1 dagger rogue (/w AoE disengage powder to free any of the squishy that get caught or cause a bunch of AOOs)
  • 3 Bowman (1 of each spec, although I have not picked up any animals, so the beastmaster is waisted)
If anyone is going to start playing this, look up what attribute bonuses the trade skills give, so you can put them on the right characters. I got lucky and mostly picked right.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Been playing this off and on for that few weeks and am up to an average level of 6, with half the providences done. It's pretty good for a low fantasy setting; almost no magical beings other than zombies and ghost animals.

On normal difficulty all the classes work (so far), although I favored heavy armor when there was an option for it. Keeping enough gold is the main problem, which can be overcome, if you want to look up the optimal trade route. Enemy group size is correlated to the size of your group, so I have 1 character for every trade skill, and no more. Pack mules do not add to enemy count, so I have had 3 for most of the game, so far, but just grabbed a 4th. Be aware: any animal that can enter combat will increase enemy numbers.

My band is:
  • 2 tanks to lock down enemies (w/ shields and dmg redux abilities)
  • 2 spearmen (1 w/ bleed throw, 1 w/ a overwatch that halts movement/attacks)
  • 1 2H AoE Maceman
  • 1 2H AoE Axeman
  • 1 dagger rogue (/w AoE disengage powder to free any of the squishy that get caught or cause a bunch of AOOs)
  • 3 Bowman (1 of each spec, although I have not picked up any animals, so the beastmaster is waisted)
If anyone is going to start playing this, look up what attribute bonuses the trade skills give, so you can put them on the right characters. I got lucky and mostly picked right.
If you don’t know you can also switch trade skills, and it will keep your highest level but will lose any exp towards the next level. Once you have it mastered you can freely switch to something else without losing anything.

I’ve been just grabbing a wide variety of people so I can try out all the various weapons I’ve been finding. I have a few trade posts now so I’m going to start benching people to get the enemy count down and get a more optimized setup.

• 1Like

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
If you don’t know you can also switch trade skills, and it will keep your highest level but will lose any exp towards the next level. Once you have it mastered you can freely switch to something else without losing anything.

I’ve been just grabbing a wide variety of people so I can try out all the various weapons I’ve been finding. I have a few trade posts now so I’m going to start benching people to get the enemy count down and get a more optimized setup.
Ah, nice, I didn't know that about trade skill transfers. I have been wondering how you replace people that die, when a bunch of the trade skills take forever to level up or look to have a limited number of places to get skill ups (like mining/scholar). The 15 willpower cheat death ability saved my ass a whole bunch of times, but had to save scum a couple times because I thought you lost the trade skill.

I think I have 1 person that can use every weapon, but I have unlocked a couple new specializations, so was thinking about re-spec for a few of them. Maybe I will just pick up a new character instead.

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I came very close to buying this game when it released (and was discounted), but unfinished games have made me gun-shy of buying almost anything on day 1. The game seems to be well-received, but I have noticed a few reviewers don't like the fact that the game doesn't really have a satisfying climax. It just kind-of...ends, but that seems on-brand for the type of game it is; an unforgiving world where you and your story are fairly insignificant in the grand scheme.

Is there anything that is just outright broken that makes the game hard to enjoy? If not, I think I'm going to pick it up.