Wartales

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I came very close to buying this game when it released (and was discounted), but unfinished games have made me gun-shy of buying almost anything on day 1. The game seems to be well-received, but I have noticed a few reviewers don't like the fact that the game doesn't really have a satisfying climax. It just kind-of...ends, but that seems on-brand for the type of game it is; an unforgiving world where you and your story are fairly insignificant in the grand scheme.

Is there anything that is just outright broken that makes the game hard to enjoy? If not, I think I'm going to pick it up.
Can't recall many issues. I think I have had 1 or 2 crash to desktops and 1 lock up when the game was trying to spawn a new enemy, in one of the arena battles, on the same killing blow that I won the arena with. The only actual bug I have seen is a bugged side location would not let me in, even though I met the requirements, but it should be patched now.

While not a bug, I also found (what looked to be) an overlooked exploitable "quest/event" (that I didn't do, as it would have made the early and mid game trivial). It was a high level area that would have allowed me to recruit 2 level 11 characters, while everyone else was level 4. In turn, I could have probably fired all the low level characters then recruited more level 11s, as I believe the normal recruit method scales with your group level. It may also be patched now, since that was a while ago.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Ah, nice, I didn't know that about trade skill transfers. I have been wondering how you replace people that die, when a bunch of the trade skills take forever to level up or look to have a limited number of places to get skill ups (like mining/scholar). The 15 willpower cheat death ability saved my ass a whole bunch of times, but had to save scum a couple times because I thought you lost the trade skill.

I think I have 1 person that can use every weapon, but I have unlocked a couple new specializations, so was thinking about re-spec for a few of them. Maybe I will just pick up a new character instead.
You lose the leveled up trade skill if you die, it’s tied to the person not your party. I meant you can change tradeskill in the beginning when needed, that character only loses the exp within the level it has already attained. Once mastered they can switch it without losing any exp.

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I came very close to buying this game when it released (and was discounted), but unfinished games have made me gun-shy of buying almost anything on day 1. The game seems to be well-received, but I have noticed a few reviewers don't like the fact that the game doesn't really have a satisfying climax. It just kind-of...ends, but that seems on-brand for the type of game it is; an unforgiving world where you and your story are fairly insignificant in the grand scheme.

Is there anything that is just outright broken that makes the game hard to enjoy? If not, I think I'm going to pick it up.
I have 50+ hours and haven’t found anything actually broken. The pathing isn’t perfect, sometimes you can get stuck trying to go around a rock cliff too tightly, but you just take the corner wider. You get used to the pathing and learn to take the routes better. Have had zero crashes or freezes. Haven’t ran into any bugs. Had some performance issues when launching in the “play Wartales” option when you launch the game on Steam, playing in “play wartales open GL” option it runs much better.

I’m also not expecting any kind of climactic end. The game is just about a band of mercs just doing missions and surviving, clearing bounties, crafting, stealing, building your reputation in each area and growing your camp. “You aren’t the hero” is their approach to the world and gameplay/story.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
You lose the leveled up trade skill if you die, it’s tied to the person not your party. I meant you can change tradeskill in the beginning when needed, that character only loses the exp within the level it has already attained. Once mastered they can switch it without losing any exp.
Oh, I see. So I could level up a second cook to master, then switch them to bard and be a master bard. Harsher death penalty than the other way, but still better than needing to find mining nodes or travel the whole map looking for wood to cut at 13xp a pop on a new character.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
About done with the fourth area, still digging it although I’ve been growing in power quite a bit and the area isn’t all that challenging now, even with all the poison and plague everywhere. Have come across some bugs but nothing game breaking unless you abuse them. Finally found a training dummy for the camp so I can catch up lowbie’s.

I think I’m ~45 hours in to my current game and haven’t burnt out yet, and I’m excited to see what they add in future updates…they left plenty of room on the map to keep expanding.

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
Banger of a game.

Low fantasy squad based survival with overworld exploration and resource gathering that becomes a turn-based FF Tactics/X-Com game during battle.

The story isn't very deep or involved. It isn't FF or D&D, but it is just enough to not be too bland.

I'm having a ton of fun with it so far. Highly recommended.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Banger of a game.

Low fantasy squad based survival with overworld exploration and resource gathering that becomes a turn-based FF Tactics/X-Com game during battle.

The story isn't very deep or involved. It isn't FF or D&D, but it is just enough to not be too bland.

Agree it’s a great game. I wouldn’t compare the combat to xcom though, they don’t feel similar at all other than the view. No missing attacks, no cover, feels much different. The co-op is pretty fun if you can get someone to regularly play with you, my dad and I have an ongoing game we play every couple of weeks.

There’s a thread on it here already.

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Finally cleared the fourth area. Game pretty grindy / slow by this point but still enjoying it. Been playing off and on the last couple of weeks due to being busy with life and work. Still hooks me every time I get on, play for a lot longer than I intend when I sit down.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I love games by foreign devs.
IMG_0756.jpeg

• 4Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Finally released a roadmap. Psyched for the helmets. A dev hopped in discord this morning and dropped some previews, I love the goblin helm. Sounds like the helmet patch will be some time next week.

IMG_1056.jpeg
IMG_1055.jpeg
IMG_1054.jpeg
IMG_1053.jpeg

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Helmet patch is in. Some nice changes, a new enemy type, some minor QOL like better highlight around objects and keybind skills on the hot bar finally, new armor layer recipes. I like the way they implemented helmets, they all have their own abilities and you can remove them and customize whatever helmet you want to put the skill on so adds some more build options. My favorite change is the exp rework, they listened to the feedback that 6+ was too slow/grindy so lowered the requirements.

Last edited:

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Banger of a game.

I'm sold. Downloading now on gamepass.

• 1Like