Water Heaters

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I'm looking for a new water heater, Energy Star, 40 gal, gas. Any opinions on things to stay the hell away from, or something you want to sing the praises of? Been reading reviews and best/worst lists until my eyes are now bleeding, and the only thing I've come away with is - they all suck and will need new parts every 3 days, just pick a price.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
I've had a Polaris 50-gal LP

takes care of my radiant floor heating + hot water, 10 years old and just replaced the pressure switch and burner + gasket kit(has been running flawlessy)

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Pretty sure that there's really only a couple manufacturers of them, the rest are just re-badged. I can't really comment on who makes a good/better residential unit, we only buy the larger commercial ones from Bradford White and AO Smith, with the occasional PVI. I would imagine there's not a lot of difference between your run of the mill Rheem, John Woods, State and so on.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Would you be interested in going the tankless water heater route? I had my tank based heater swapped out a few years back and it was a great decision. Gas bills dropped by 20%, reclaimed a lot of space, and of course there's the unlimited hot water.. Only negative is it takes about 10-20 seconds for the hot water to kick in.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I'm also thinking about getting a water heater put in instead of this fucking rented one.

Why the fuck do we have rented water heaters in houses, anyways? Is it some kinda deal these developers make when they build a house? I don't rent my air conditioning. My furnace is all mine. It's a goddamn scam I tell ya.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
heh, yeah, I'm quite sure that renting your water heater is pretty much a scam. Seems like it's a big thing in Ontario. No idea why. Never heard of it in Alberta, although I'm sure that there's idiots out there who are content making monthly payments on pretty much anything and everything.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
I'm also thinking about getting a water heater put in instead of this fucking rented one.

Why the fuck do we have rented water heaters in houses, anyways? Is it some kinda deal these developers make when they build a house? I don't rent my air conditioning. My furnace is all mine. It's a goddamn scam I tell ya.
Yeah, I've never heard of this before. Who the fuck rents water heaters considering they have to be installed and tied into your plumbing? You'd think the cost to "repo" your water heater would be more costly than the heater itself.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Not really expensive to repo considering it's just two valves that connect the water heater to your plumbing. One for cold water in, one for hot water out. Turn off the water feeding it, drain it, detach the lines. Well, detach the fuel lines too. But that's the same easy process.

OneofOne

OneofOne

Or not... just got a cancellation email. Called to see what's up, find out in Caly you need ULTRA low nox heaters, and this was simply low nox. Who'd a thunk?

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
Or not... just got a cancellation email. Called to see what's up, find out in Caly you need ULTRA low nox heaters, and this was simply low nox. Who'd a thunk?
Ya that was my issue with my current water heater, I was thinking about buying a different make but finding out I'd have to buy a Ultra Low Nox heater, and after looking at the price it was actually considerably less to just repair my old Polaris one then buy a new one.....