Water in the desert southwest

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Colorado River Drought Forces a Painful Reckoning for States - NYTimes.com

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0510224444.htm

Nearly 10 years ago I attended a session at a conference on the usage of remote sensing (satellites) to monitor vegetation health on a daily basis and the resulting change in irrigation strategy. The conference session was sponsored and chaired by members of the Cotton Growers association and many of the papers presented focused on the gross disparity between water consumption and supply.

The introductory keynote speaker showed groundwater level changes over the past century focusing on the percentage change in aquifers that were 10s of thousands of years old and the sheer impossibility of ever recharging these aquifers even if the Colorado River was completely untapped. Many slides showed the telltale irrigation circles that everyone sees when flying over the western states and denoted how much water was being used by agriculture in general and the cotton industry in particular.

The following session papers covered a number of monitoring techniques using existing and planned sensing platforms both public and private to get near immediate feedback on plant health and adjust how much water was pumped into the fields as a result. The main takeaway from several of the papers presented was that both over and under watering was a serious concern for the cotton growers as both conditions adversely effected the total yield of the crop, but that over watering was a HUGE issue for overall water policy as the population in the region continued to climb and the demand for more vegetables and crops continued to increase.

I eavesdropped on conversations among the few Cotton Growers Association people present between presentations and the overall consensus among those in attendance was that this all sounded really cool, but who would pay for the support structure necessary to conduct such monitoring? The growers had no money to foot that bill nor desire to pay taxes to support it, and even if the U.S. Govt took on the task for the greater good the growers would have no really good way to make use of the data. Apparently many of them had to schedule their irrigation with the various local water authorities so far in advance that they could barely make use of even rudimentary monitoring as it was.

I had only attended the session out of pure curiosity as I had no vested interest in any part of the discussion, but I left the room feeling pretty much horrified as back-of-the-envelope calculations showed that things were going to be pretty much fucked for California, Nevada, Arizona, etc in less than a century unless some pretty drastic actions were implemented almost immediately. What increased my concern even further was that aside from the keynote speaker nearly every presenter and indeed the majority of the attendees at the session were from the Peoples Republic of China. They were clearly keenly interested in what tools could be brought to bear in order to establish smart water usage in ways that members of the U.S. were not.

Unfortunately problems like this take decades to develop and decades to solve and our 24 hour news cycle / 4 year political term world simply doesn't seem capable of functioning on that sort of timescale.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Our future:

tank_girl_cover.jpg

And yeah, water shortages are going to fuck this country hard in the next century. I read an article (I think posted here or FoH) about the aquifier under the midwest and how corn farmers have all but obliterated it in a few decades, when it took millenia to accumulate.

spronk

FPS noob
I read a good book years ago about a topic called Hydraulic Despotism, the idea being that instead of fighting over things like oil and borders, wars will be fought over water rights. It looks slightly bad in the southwest USA, but its absolutely nothing compared to how bad things are getting in Africa and Asia, where potable water is disappearing and populations are increasing at levels that dwarf the West.

global warming makes things also a bit interesting, some areas are going to get hotter but some are going to get cooler and more conducive to farming. I don't know which areas will "win", but in between the giant polar caps melting and desanilization (sic) I'm pretty sure moderately wealthy countries like Europe and America will be use technology to suffer little, but places with massive populations of poor people that depend on subsidized prices for food and water like India and China will experience massive upheavals.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I was born in Vegas and it's amazing visiting my family there every year and seeing the increasingly stringent rules and respect they have for water. I remember nearly everyone having lawns, but now it's rock gardens everywhere. And Lake Mead has a giant crown of 'the water used to be this high' on it.

I feel like this problem should work itself out. If you're upset that there's no water it's because YOU LIVE IN A FUCKING DESERT

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Doomsday prep your ride!

*Rain barrels for your veggie garden
*Cistern for poo water
*Dink your own pee

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Water desalination harvesters.
rrr_img_56003.jpg
That's another reason why I don't worry about droughts in the southwest. In addition to decreased consumption from higher costs, the cost of desalination will be lower than the cost of getting water from the colorado river (and other sources) and coastal cities of California (LA et all) will start to depend on desalination. Right now it's around 3kWh/m3 but the technology still has a long way to go.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
See assholes, the plot of Quantum of Solace wasn't stupid after all.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
The joke you will hear in any community that has irrigation is "Around here, whiskey's for drinking, water is for fighting over". I did always think it was weird that all over Arizona there are cotton and vegetable fields even though the climate can obviously not support them without massive irrigation.

I like it when people in cities are like "these farmers need to get their shit together and stop using so much resources" when they are the ones the farmers are growing food for. It's not like farming is an optional activity and if those greedy farmers just stopped there would still be food in the supermarket somehow.

At least places like Phoenix and Vegas try to encourage desert style landscaping. In LA everyone has a lawn that they water the shit out of and there are sprinklers running on median strips and shit even when it's raining.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Its all the fault of those liberal fucks in LA. If only we(more like they) had cheap/reliable sources of energy and desalinization infrastructure this wouldnt be a problem.

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
Living by the great lakes is great
I've watched a ton of documentaries on water and the general scientific consensus is that we are running out and it will probably be the first real resource shortage that sens shit south real fast. Most of the movies go a little overboard appealing to emotion but a quick fact check on a lot of the data is scary. Take a look at where some of the big companies are buying land in other countries, how water/utility companies buy up all the water rights from shitty corrupt 3rd world governments then limit access and charge a ton to the people in that area.

And as far as the great lakes....All but lake Michigan seem to be on par with avg.. Michigan has been seeing a slightly downward trend since they started recording in 1918. This was according to NOAA and the Army corpse of engineers. So you'll no doubt last longer than the rest of us, but that keystone pipeline may be replace with the Great Lake Pipe line sometime in the next 50 years 8P

Chris

Potato del Grande
When is the Atlantic Ocean going to run out? If that happens then I'm fucked.