WD My Cloud (Back up Harddrive) NAS

Pagan

Lord Nagafen Raider
So I am an idiot and never backed up my hard drive since 2009 and it crashed causing me mainly to loose 8000+ songs. Lucky enough I was able to grab them all through my three ipods over the years and my iphone. Going forward my house is fully networked and I have been looking at My Cloud through WD. Seems legit with great speed and can act as a media server; currently using PS3 media server.

Does anyone have an experience with a WD My Cloud? I also saw a Seagate Central in the store as well however its not grabbing high reviews like the My Cloud.

Feedback is welcomed.

Corndog

Lord Nagafen Raider
I bought a my cloud a few weeks ago. Basically think of it as dropbox but stored locally. It's pretty nice. To play a movie from it, it buffers for like 3 minutes then uninterrupted playback for the duration of the movie.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
How well does it work with your mobile devices? Is there any sort of mobile app that just automatically backs up pictures as you take them like dropbox does? That's the #1 reason I stay with dropbox, just zero effort to upload pics, but ideally more storage would be nice.

Pagan

Lord Nagafen Raider
How well does it work with your mobile devices? Is there any sort of mobile app that just automatically backs up pictures as you take them like dropbox does? That's the #1 reason I stay with dropbox, just zero effort to upload pics, but ideally more storage would be nice.
I am setting it up right now and yes it does have a "dropbox" function and a free app to go with My Cloud. I will work with it later this afternoon after my backup is complete.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Bought one last week, but I haven't really fucked around with any of the features of it. Seems like there's a lot of fancy functionality for sure, but from my perspective I'm not very interested in most of it as I primarily wanted it for a backup drive. And the shitty backup software included can't backup a network share.

See post here:Computer Issues - Page 22