Website SEO and Advertising

Corndog

Lord Nagafen Raider
How does link trading and page rank play into this? How hard should I try to get on a few related sites? For my fish store, the club website is pagerank 4. Another member runs a fish info site that is page rank 5. I own a fish info site that is page rank 3. Now obviously I can link to my own things, but should I be bribing to get onto those other sites etc?

checkyeah_sl

shitlord
How does link trading and page rank play into this? How hard should I try to get on a few related sites? For my fish store, the club website is pagerank 4. Another member runs a fish info site that is page rank 5. I own a fish info site that is page rank 3. Now obviously I can link to my own things, but should I be bribing to get onto those other sites etc?
Don't think of linkbuilding as link trading, because you aren't trading links. Typically link trading is done with spammy SEO companies who inflate page ranks temporarily, flip the domain in some fashion, and then disappear. You can network/reference your own websites and that's just fine. Typically you do it when it's relevant, such as the act of buying would go to a e-commerce site, where as learning about something may go to your informational site.

You always want relevant links even if it's a PR 1. The higher the better in terms of authority, but by no means does the higher pagerank always out perform a lower PR. You should get links on those websites because they are extremely relevant with your business.

Typically a PR of -1 / NA / or 0 represents a new site, or site without many backlinks. Penalized sites can show up like this as well, which is why I focus on 1+.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
I've been trying to hit up a few relevant sites for links, but apparently my script is bad.

I've gotten zero returned emails...

What do?

checkyeah_sl

shitlord
Had it all typed up then then rerolled gave me a database error, so I'll go into this sometime today or this weekend. Essentially the things that qualify a website or a page to be relevant on a topic are the optimizations - not the domain name. ie monster.com is highly relevant to jobs but not monsters

Don't search for relevant domains, search for relevant pages. ie shoedepot.com/jobs
Most important relevancy factors are:
Title Tag (most important) you can search google for websites with your relevant keyword by doingintitle:whatever
on-page content, basically the keywords you are looking for
external links/internal links that link to the content using those keywords
last is probably url structure, which honestly may not even be significant enough to know if it's truly a factor ie /austin-job-market/ vs /index.php?city=348323

Tonic_sl

shitlord
Anyone have any experience with the Hubspot inbound marketing software? I've heard nothing but good things coming out of that camp, wondering if anyone's had a chance to use it yet...?

Pilforgod

Silver Knight of the Realm
If any of you guys are planning to start affiliate programs or want to participate in them feel free to hit me up for information. I manage several large clients' programs.

biteablegravy_sl

shitlord
Kinda building off checkyeah's breakdowns - I do quite a bit of technical consulting/optimization for SMB to Enterprise clients, and I always like having a few efficient tools handy. I didn't build these lists, but they're the best curated lists I've found -

List of SEO tools and their function -https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...qellWaWc#gid=0
Resource for site audits/analysis -https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...WjVNeUE#gid=28

There's something in there to help anyone reading this thread.

Tonic_sl

shitlord
Awesome stuff you two. I'm transitioning into a marketing position for a company with pretty much zero web presence, so I might be picking your brains a bit in the next few weeks if you're around.

checkyeah_sl

shitlord
Kinda building off checkyeah's breakdowns - I do quite a bit of technical consulting/optimization for SMB to Enterprise clients, and I always like having a few efficient tools handy. I didn't build these lists, but they're the best curated lists I've found -

List of SEO tools and their function -https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...qellWaWc#gid=0
Resource for site audits/analysis -https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...WjVNeUE#gid=28

There's something in there to help anyone reading this thread.
These are good. I remember catching this blog post on SEOmoz awhile back.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
I'd like to bring this back as a catch-all SEO thread

How's everybody doing these days?

What are your best SEO strategies nowadays?

Last edited:

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
There arent really many avenues of doing SEO for discussion forums unless you start branching out into blog+forums format and start writing regular articles to go along with the forums. I guess that what Draegan was trying to do before?

You can do a bunch of technical improvements to reduce the number of duplicate and URL parameter pages, fix some canonicals, improve speed - but as far as on-site optimization you're largely at the mercy of your user base to create the content. You could add some schema DiscussionForumPosting - schema.org to hopefully improve the look of your results in the SERPs and possibly drive higher clickthroughs but thats always hit or miss and requires a decent amount of upfront dev work. This domain has about 700 backlinks and a lot of it is just other forums linking to posts.

Id focus on speed improvements first, try not to gay it up with any more snowflakes. Backlink building for a site like this is probably impossible since its a hive of scum and villainy.

All that if you want to stay on legit side of Google.

If you want to do the black hat stuff, you can always just start buying up expired gaming domains, and rebuild articles on that domain and point links back to FoH to transfer ranking equity. Probably a better option because this site doesnt rank for shit anyways and with white hat methods it probably never will.

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
anyone have a clear understanding of conversion metrics.

we are running up a total bill of $8000 a month (before, $5000) on google ad for two websites (2500 and 5500) and we aren't sure if they are necessary. We have seen some drastic increase in sale on the store front, however, and it has been very consistent for last three months. We used to outsources all our SEO, facebook campaign, and google ad search campaigns (as well as display). Now, We are doing everything internally and we are seeing some crazy results. That includes ad script, keyword bidding, manual adding and removing expensive and overbearing keywords or useless keywords. Typically CTR in our industry is 2% and we regularly do about 2.5% but at a tremendous CPC of $2.82.

Obviously we'd like to set up more efficient and effective campaign.