Wedding / Groomsman Gifts

groovy_and_sl

shitlord
My buddies and I (1 of whom just got married) have a mostly unspoken agreement to just buy each other suits for the wedding, then keep them as gifts. They certainly cost more than the average gift, but not having to spend ~200 bucks on a tux/suit you'll wear for a day is nice. Also, its great being able to get them altered for the wedding. Maybe after 3 weddings a suit from each might get redundant, but for now its a great gift.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
"Wedding / Groomsman Gifts"

are a waste of money. Don't waste more money than you need to on a wedding, and just because you're wasting $30 a plate on people you don't particularly like doesn't mean it's okay to waste $50-300 on presents for people you do like.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Could you imagine being a groomsman in Tuco's wedding?

He'd come up and shake your hand and say, "Thanks for standing up in my wedding. I don't believe in the institution of groomsman gifts so please accept my sincere thanks on renting this stupidly expensive tux that doesn't even fit, paying for this overpriced hotel room, and whatever money it cost to drive/fly out to be part of our special day. By the way, my wife's ring is moissanite; bet you didn't know it was a real diamond!"

He'd then drone on about all the other ways he saves money by buying lookalike items that you'd never be able to tell the difference between.

also, in before Tuco "We had a small wedding of only local family and no one flew or drove in and everyone stayed in our apartment and groomsmen wore whatever suit they wanted" etc etc etc

sometimes being you must be exhausting

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Could you imagine being a groomsman in Tuco's wedding?

He'd come up and shake your hand and say, "Thanks for standing up in my wedding. I don't believe in the institution of groomsman gifts so please accept my sincere thanks on renting this stupidly expensive tux that doesn't even fit, paying for this overpriced hotel room, and whatever money it cost to drive/fly out to be part of our special day. By the way, my wife's ring is moissanite; bet you didn't know it was a real diamond!"

He'd then drone on about all the other ways he saves money by buying lookalike items that you'd never be able to tell the difference between.

also, in before Tuco "We had a small wedding of only local family and no one flew or drove in and everyone stayed in our apartment and groomsmen wore whatever suit they wanted" etc etc etc

sometimes being you must be exhausting
"We had a huge wedding consisting of hundreds of people, a few people flew in, lots of people drove in and a bunch of people stayed in hotels that we priced out as being the best value (Like $60 a night). The groomsmen could bring whatever black suits they wanted, but I bought them all matching ties and vests at a very good price. A few groomsmen (I think I had 6 or 7) wanted to buy new black suits, so I priced suits at a handful of different locations and we all went to the best store and got good suits for a reasonable price."

you could say that my gift to the groomsmen was the tie/vest I bought them + the bachelor party that I paid for everything, but I didn't think about it as gifts in the same manner as cuff links or flasks.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
You paid for your own bachelor party? That's completely backwards.
I know. The guy who threw it was broke as fuck and didn't know any of the other groomsmen.

The way I look at it, it was the only cost of my wedding that I really enjoyed.