Weight Loss Thread

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
Hi Gents, I have reached that point in my cycle where it is again time to lose some weight, I thought I would come here and see if anyone has any tasty recipes for good smoothies that I could use to replace or supplement my breakfast or snacks. I have alot of good fruit based recipes but I am including fresh fruit into my day so I was looking for more vegetable based as that always seems to be the food group that is most deficient.

Daelos

Guarding the guardians
Ugh, how boring. Might as well kill me now. Or hook me up to an IV and bypass eating all together.

Those things are necessary. They make eating and cooking enjoyable. This is exactly why I want even somewhat accurate numbers, so people don't overreact and create draconian rules. How did you arrive at 20g? Is it totally based upon the fruit and salad dressing?

Apparently 1 AND ONLY 1 apple a day will keep the doctor away.
Here:Snake oil Superfoods? | Information Is Beautiful

No accurate numbers, but an awesome infograph.

Denaut

Trump's Staff
Hi Gents, I have reached that point in my cycle where it is again time to lose some weight, I thought I would come here and see if anyone has any tasty recipes for good smoothies that I could use to replace or supplement my breakfast or snacks. I have alot of good fruit based recipes but I am including fresh fruit into my day so I was looking for more vegetable based as that always seems to be the food group that is most deficient.
If you are looking to lose weight don't drink smoothies (see the last 2 or so pages as to why). You can't go wrong with eggs for breakfast, bonus points if they are from pastured chickens.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
So on my way to the store yesterday, after planning out a month of meals, talking about what we are going to get and my wife says "what happened to that paleo thing? I thought we were going to do that now..." and I am all "... you said you didn't want to..." And she is saying "...no I didn't" and rather than fight about how she is wrong and I am right, I just gave in. So...

actually looking at this beyond low carb generalizations, no way are we doing this. We aren't going to cut out dairy, isn't happening. I think we'll just do kind of a take on it instead, basically just limit breads and grains, no sweets, more fruit, etc. I've pretty much already been doing this, just need to get the wife on board. I do not like cutting out pasta, that is a staple thing that anyone can cook and feed a family with, so replacing stuff like that will be difficult. And beans, I don't understand why paleo wants you to cut out beans beyond a bunch of pseudo-science bullshit from blog posts about phytates. I realize the irony of complaining about pseudo-science in a post talking about taking on the paleo diet or a version of it.

Now I'm not sure at all about what to do and I think my wife is counting on me to come up with something for her so fuck.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Uh, I count coffee and garlic in that infographic at least 3 times and honey 2. How is that thing useful?

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
actually looking at this beyond low carb generalizations, no way are we doing this. We aren't going to cut out dairy, isn't happening. I think we'll just do kind of a take on it instead, basically just limit breads and grains, no sweets, more fruit, etc. I've pretty much already been doing this, just need to get the wife on board. I do not like cutting out pasta, that is a staple thing that anyone can cook and feed a family with, so replacing stuff like that will be difficult. And beans, I don't understand why paleo wants you to cut out beans beyond a bunch of pseudo-science bullshit from blog posts about phytates. I realize the irony of complaining about pseudo-science in a post talking about taking on the paleo diet or a version of it.
I think I mentioned it before, but this is exactly how I do it. I think pure paleo is crazy, but using it as a basis for healthy eating as given me amazing results and kept me sane.

*Edit* A little more information about my "take" on paleo. For the past 7 - 8 months my diet has mostly consisted of fruits, vegetables, meats, beans, dairy, eggs. I drink beer and eat fried food/pizza rolls now and then, but I'd say 90% of what I eat is unprocessed and natural (well, as unprocessed and natural as you can get at a major grocery store). I cut out pasta and haven't had it more than two or three times in the past year, but I only have to feed myself.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
So on my way to the store yesterday, after planning out a month of meals, talking about what we are going to get and my wife says "what happened to that paleo thing? I thought we were going to do that now..." and I am all "... you said you didn't want to..." And she is saying "...no I didn't" and rather than fight about how she is wrong and I am right, I just gave in. So...

Now I'm not sure at all about what to do and I think my wife is counting on me to come up with something for her so fuck.
Is it all beans they have you cut out on paleo? Usually low carb diets still allow black beans, and black beans are the best beans anyway. Beans are just usually high in carbs and are starchy and that's why low-carb diets cut them. It isn't pseudo science.

As for the pasta thing, I hear you on it being easy and kids will usually eat it. But if you can, try putting what you put on pastas on protein instead, or spaghetti squash. Pasta is pretty much a worthless food. By itself it's bland and uninteresting and has pretty much no health benefit. The joys of eating pasta (at least for me) are from the sauces you put on it and cheese you stuff it with.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Uh, I count coffee and garlic in that infographic at least 3 times and honey 2. How is that thing useful?
It isn't useful at all. It basically says "Hey here's an old wives tale, now here's our evidence to support or not support the claim on this specific old wives tale. Eggs don't show any benefits to eyesight!". Really.... really stupid stuff going on there. Especially since they don't offer any corroborating evidence to go along with their one line of evidence in each bubble.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Is it all beans they have you cut out on paleo? Usually low carb diets still allow black beans, and black beans are the best beans anyway. Beans are just usually high in carbs and are starchy and that's why low-carb diets cut them. It isn't pseudo science.

As for the pasta thing, I hear you on it being easy and kids will usually eat it. But if you can, try putting what you put on pastas on protein instead, or spaghetti squash. Pasta is pretty much a worthless food. By itself it's bland and uninteresting and has pretty much no health benefit. The joys of eating pasta (at least for me) are from the sauces you put on it and cheese you stuff it with.
Legumes of any kind aren't allowed in paleo. Something to do with digestion, and stuff.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor

These paleo sites aren't referencing the carbs in beans, they are talking about phytates and anti-nutrients, it is total pseudo-science. Cutting it for carbs I can see, but based on this bs, meh. We'll see. I really just don't see cutting beans completely because I don't see what we would replace them with, and I don't see the point.

Spaghetti squash I haven't had since I was a kid, I'm all about trying it again if I can find it. Really though, it isn't always about the joys of eating, sometimes you just need something on a plate that everyone can eat and doesn't take all day to cook.

But, ultimately, it has to be done if I'm going to get serious about this and in turn inspire my wife to be serious about it. Well today is the day. Right now I'm mostly just going about this by replacing carbs with veggies. Not entirely, just more and more. We'll take this a step at a time.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
WTF is an antinutrient? Does it find a vitaman and they completely obliterate each other, converting their mass to energy?

My guess is that they exclude beans because of the starches and probably because most idiots following paleo would mistake the indigestion of the complex saccharides as gluten intolerance.

Daelos

Guarding the guardians
It isn't useful at all. It basically says "Hey here's an old wives tale, now here's our evidence to support or not support the claim on this specific old wives tale. Eggs don't show any benefits to eyesight!". Really.... really stupid stuff going on there. Especially since they don't offer any corroborating evidence to go along with their one line of evidence in each bubble.
No evidence?

I take it you didn't actually click on text that said "Click here to see lead study".

Daelos

Guarding the guardians
Bros... based on this scientific infograph Lumie was definitely right...

Apparently it also lowers blood pressure, especially in people with higher blood pressure!

P.S. that infograph is all sorts of stupid and wrong. Stop linking these dumb snake oil graphs.
As to the Garlic thing. Click on the link that leads to evidence, and you get

Aged garlic extract lowers blood pressure in patie... [Maturitas. 2010] - PubMed - NCBI

Aged garlic extract lowers blood pressure in patients with treated but uncontrolled hypertension: a randomised controlled trial.
Ried K, Frank OR, Stocks NP.
Author information
Abstract
OBJECTIVE:
To assess the effect, tolerability and acceptability of aged garlic extract as an adjunct treatment to existing antihypertensive medication in patients with treated, but uncontrolled, hypertension.
DESIGN:
A double-blind parallel randomised placebo-controlled trial involving 50 patients whose routine clinical records in general practice documented treated but uncontrolled hypertension. The active treatment group received four capsules of aged garlic extract (960 mg containing 2.4 mg S-allylcysteine) daily for 12 weeks, and the control group received matching placebos. The primary outcome measures were systolic and diastolic blood pressure at baseline, 4, 8 and 12 weeks, and change over time. We also assessed tolerability during the trial and acceptability at 12 weeks.
RESULTS:
In patients with uncontrolled hypertension (SBP ? 140 mmHg at baseline), systolic blood pressure was on average 10.2 ? 4.3 mmHg (p=0.03) lower in the garlic group compared with controls over the 12-week treatment period. Changes in blood pressure between the groups were not significant in patients with SBP<140 mmHg at baseline. Aged garlic extract was generally well tolerated and acceptability of trial treatment was high (92%).
CONCLUSION:
Our trial suggests that aged garlic extract is superior to placebo in lowering systolic blood pressure similarly to current first line medications in patients with treated but uncontrolled hypertension.
Copyright ? 2010 Elsevier Ireland Ltd. All rights reserved.
PMID: 20594781 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
Looking forward to your counter evidence, supporting your claim that this is "wrong"

Denaut

Trump's Staff
The beans thing is not entirely pseudo-science. Plants often don't want you to eat them, (fruits are an exception), and since they can't run away like a deer they in usually deploy chemical weapons to discourage this. Capsaicin, the active ingredient in chili is a good example. There are other compounds that discourage consumption through chemistry, and among these compounds isLectinwhich is what many legumes use. It is considered an anti-nutrient because it binds to the wall of your small intestine, preventing you from absorbing nutrients and usually causing diarrhea and other gastrointestinal distress.

Humans are smarter than plants though and we have lots of ways of eating plants that otherwise don't want to be eaten. Lectins can be destroyed or minimized by heat and also by fermentation (I think). If you eat beans they should be well cooked or otherwise "properly prepared" (the fuck if I know that that means specifically). Personally I am unconvinced that all beans are always bad for everyone in every situation, and haven't seen any study on the subject at all. I still don't eat them though because I have no family to feed and I don't like them very much.

Chaos, you should absolutelynotgive up dairy. The evidence is overwhelming that dairy is very good for humans, especially children, provided they have the genes for it.

Daelos

Guarding the guardians
Foods appear as separate items for each different claim that is made. It's even clearly described in the subtext - not sure what's so difficult to understand?

Edit: Looks like, for small bubbles, you need to click on it to see the claim/subtext

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Wait, chilis are a fruit.

I didn't say it was difficult to understand. I said it wasn't useful. What's the point of the infographic if it simultaneously proclaims 4 different efficacies for coffee?

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
They have seeds, so yes.

As for beans, listen... I'm Cuban, I ate black beans all my life, I still eat black beans VERY regularly. The only thing that's ever happened is 1. I fart like a god damn monster 2. I eat so many beans the fucking shit passes through me and never even gets digested. Literally, blackness in my shits cause the beans are just in there chillin like "sup?"

Eat beans man, they're SOOOOOO good.

Denaut

Trump's Staff
Wait, chilis are a fruit.
Jesus man, that wasn't the point. I was just trying to give a familiar example of a plant using chemical warfare and a plant that wants at least a part of it to be eaten. Would you prefer it if I specified culinary fruits and not botanical fruits? That being said, birds aren't affected by Capsaicin but mammals are. So there might be something about the biology of a chili plant that wants to be eaten by birds but not mammals for its life-cycle.