Weight Loss Thread

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
getting to 10% and then bulking is the recommended advice - the leaner you are the better you handle carbs and carbs are the way to bulk.
So stick to keto until it's time to bulk, correct?

Also, how easy is to get kicked out of ketosis? And how long would it take for your body to readjust?

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Don't think I've ever seen someone 5'10 150lbs and thought they were massive. Getting kicked out of ketosis is as easy as eating carbs. Your body doesn't need much time to adjust unless you were in it for a long period of time

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
So stick to keto until it's time to bulk, correct?

Also, how easy is to get kicked out of ketosis? And how long would it take for your body to readjust?
No,, do a timed keto diet by eating carbs post workout to fuel your lifts and hopefully get some muscle growth. Although the amount of protein I recommend is outside of typical keto parameters but that's never stopped me registering positive on the keto sticks

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I don't have time to find 5'10" examples, but here are some examples of why people are confused about what someone looks like shredded and at a seemingly low bodyweight (and why I say most people underestimate what they have). Chose these because they're close to equivalent to 5'10 in the 150-160 range (closer to 160 though).

Pics in spoilers.
6'5", 190 (I think; he's definitely under 200)
3d9064b4973311e398bc12834a966ab4_8.jpg

6', 180
oaNSANODyAGktvMcvLWWiplSNmMYljuNResq-610xh.jpg

6', 170
xIWI95U.png

Granted, the first and last guy are probably cycling (first guy admits to it), so it's not a perfect comparison.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
I don't have time to find 5'10" examples, but here are some examples of why people are confused about what someone looks like shredded and at a seemingly low bodyweight (and why I say most people underestimate what they have). Chose these because they're close to equivalent to 5'10 in the 150-160 range (closer to 160 though).

Pics in spoilers.
6'5", 190 (I think; he's definitely under 200)
3d9064b4973311e398bc12834a966ab4_8.jpg

6', 180
oaNSANODyAGktvMcvLWWiplSNmMYljuNResq-610xh.jpg

6', 170
xIWI95U.png

Granted, the first and last guy are probably cycling (first guy admits to it), so it's not a perfect comparison.
Umm, aren't all three of those guys down around 5-7% body fat? They're fucking shredded, not 10%, which is where you'd find hockey players for example, who look nothing like that.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Your point that 10% is much leaner than people think is definitely true, you'll usually have nice abs at that size.

I was just saying 150lbs at 5'10 isn't very large even if they look shredded. Bottom two guys arms look under 15" and in regular clothes wouldn't stand out at all. Top and bottom guy are also misleading because they're both photo shoots with perfect lighting, touch ups, diuretics, etc.

And are you sure that top guy is 190? At 6'5 and his size I find that highly unlikely. This is Michael Jordan 1" taller at 195

130213172744-michael-jordan-005592621-single-image-cut.jpg

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Umm, aren't all three of those guys down around 5-7% body fat? They're fucking shredded, not 10%, which is where you'd find hockey players for example, who look nothing like that.
You're kind of proving my point about people underestimating it. 5-7% is getting to the point of essential body fat, and you'd be able to see every striation in the muscles and all their veins (5% being pretty damn close to the limit of bodybuilders on competition day). You can see veins in those, but they're not quite that lean yet. I'd guess 8-11% for them all.

And are you sure that top guy is 190? At 6'5 and

his size I find that highly unlikely. This is Michael Jordan 1" taller at 195
I'm sure his height is 6'5", just not sure how heavy he is. He said he's under 200. He's a bodybuilding.com poster though, so I'm pretty sure he is. He posted a picture with him and a friends of his who was 6'4, but like 230 pounds. The 230 pound guy looked way smaller, and it was to point out that genetics plays a huge role in everything as well (this is all kind of getting away from the point though).

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
People throw body fat % out there a lot and are usually way off. 5% is generally as low as you can ever get and pro bodybuilders are at that for a day or two for their competition. It is very unhealthy and they're pretty far from peak athletic performance. 7-8% is as low as you'll generally get by athletic freaks while 10% is more in line with the norm (of ripped athletes).

Anytime you hear some announcer talk about a guy being 2-3% bodyfat you can safely ignore anything they ever say

ahh run

Lord Nagafen Raider
You're kind of proving my point about people underestimating it. 5-7% is getting to the point of essential body fat, and you'd be able to see every striation in the muscles and all their veins (5% being pretty damn close to the limit of bodybuilders on competition day). You can see veins in those, but they're not quite that lean yet. I'd guess 8-11% for them all.

I'm sure his height is 6'5", just not sure how heavy he is. He said he's under 200. He's a bodybuilding.com poster though, so I'm pretty sure he is. He posted a picture with him and a friends of his who was 6'4, but like 230 pounds. The 230 pound guy looked way smaller, and it was to point out that genetics plays a huge role in everything as well (this is all kind of getting away from the point though).
Gzus's BodySpace - Bodybuilding.com
hes 6'1

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
And 215lbs.

This was just a quick gis check so no attempt at authentication, but this is more in line with 5'10 150

chris-bona-after.jpg

Good definition, nice abs, but not massive by any stretch of the imagination

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Woke up and I can see my top 4 abs. Fucking finally! Hopefully no more than another month of this dieting bullshit. Been losing .8 pounds per week for the last month. I should probably cut out another 100 calories a day to get back up to 1 pound, but I think I may just keep everything exactly the same for a few weeks.

Actually, even smarter would be just to add cardio back in again. 2x a week for 30 minutes should hit close to what I need.

Edit: ^ and regarding that, you keep saying 150, but I'd be fucking depressed if I had to get down to 150. At worst I'd say 155, but I'm hoping 157 or so will be my sweet spot. After that I'll maintain for about a month and then lean back my way back to the 170's hopefully.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I just ate steak-umms. As a kid they were awesome. As an adult they are vile. This whole week has been a "cheat" week for me thus far. Been eating like 2200 calories a day. I wish my goddamn shoulder would heal so I could get back to the gym. I hate cardio with a passion so I haven't been doing anything except eating right.

McQueen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I know your pain. I had my knee surgery redone last Friday, and the sitting around doing nothing sucks. I'm not past the elevation stage yet, so I can't even do any light weight seated stuff.

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
I feel like I don't belong In this thread, cardio is my jam. I do a minimum of 1 hour of cardio a day but it's usually around 3 hours a day and eat probably 22-2500 calories a day easy, I don't know specifics cause I've never actually counted. Granted im not super shredded by any means but im 165 5"10 and try to keep all my weight in my legs.

Cardio is the best, I just got done doing about 50ish miles on the bike..

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
So we bought our house 14 months ago. In that time I've lost 25-30 pounds (my high was 268 at that point and my lowest right now has been 233 and I was 237 this morning). We were living with family for about a year and a half and it was impossible to eat decent there. It was fucking awful being in a house where hamburger helper was considered a GOOD meal ugh. So that weight loss has mostly been from eating better (plenty of room for improvement still) and playing tennis over the summer and some racquetball in the fall until I had surgery.
Surgery was back in December and gained some weight back from that 1 month recovery time.
Some brief history for comparisons sake. I had a DVT/Pulmonary Embolism back in 2002 so I have some lung scarring and some reduced lung function and I would run out of breath just talking. Fast forward to 3 weeks ago I just started going to the gym. I went from a "deep" breath of a whole 5 seconds now up to 20-25 seconds. I've lost 2 pounds but more importantly I feel monumentally better.
I had a friend from work help me get a baseline bench press so I can see how I progress in the future and I managed to bench 135 pounds which isn't much but it's also more than I was expecting considering how sedentary my life has been the past few years from surgeries and chemo shit. Don't worry I'm no Tidbit I've already got all the beta's I'm interested in. :p
Anyway at the gym after I warm up on the elliptical, treadmill, and/or row machine I hit the weight machines and I go around in the circuit. I go Mon, Wed, and Fri and I have been doing 3 sets of 10 reps with the weight set to where the last couple reps I do for each set are a challenge. Is there a better approach that I can take? I'm not looking to bulk up or anything I just want to get into better shape and increased health quality. Warmer weather is finally coming and I've got a few friends that play tennis so I'll be playing as much of that as I can this summer. Pretty psyched to get playing again.

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
3 hours of cardio a day? That's pretty hardcore
It's not just gym cardio though, it's riding a bike which is something I find to not be work.

I just feel like there needs to be an alternative to random people browsing this thread, the general consensus seems to be Paleo/keto -> Myfithnesspal -> SS 5x5. I've been trying to go to the gym to get some strength training in but find myself ditching the gym in exchange for being on the bike. Just trying to throw out some alternatives for people(Like me) who hate the gym.